website statistics

Post Games Analysis | How do you analyse your country's performance at Tokyo 2020?

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

1- Absolutely Terrible 

2 - Bad

9- Kinda Awesome 

10- Fantastic, Unbelievable 

2. What were the suprises and  heartbreaks ?

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? 

Current / Upcoming sports

Tokyo 2020 it the best Olympic ever for Italy, enthusiasm are rising in Italy and almost everyone speaks about the games :p I think that we'll never see something like that, despite the flop of the two Italian traditional sport (0 gold from fencing and 0 gold and only 1 medal from shotgun :hairpull:)

I give it a 4. It was bad, but expected. And we had some great moments at the end.

The big surprise was the volleyball team winning a medal beating USA, France, Italy and Brazil in the process. That'll be remembered as one our best sport performances over the years.

The heartbreaks were no gold medals at all, especially for the women's field hockey that can't win it yet, no medals for Lange/Carranza in sailing and Pareto in judo, and Chiaraviglio's covid positive before his competition.

Don't know what it was the goal here. I expected 2-4 medals and we won 3, so that's fine, but it's the least amount of medals since 96 and first one without gold medals since 00, so it's kinda bad.

Invest more? Are you kidding, right? :p

With the current economic state of our country we'll be lucky to at least keep what we have now, which isn't too much. As long as we remain competitive in team sports and the generational talents in individual sports can deliver we have a shot to win a couple medals in the Games.

I'd say 7, we got our best medal tally ever despite the fact that we didn't participate in Weightlifting where we could easily won 2 medals in, so yeah it was satisfying overall 

The biggest surprise for me is Hedaya Malak in Taekwondo , I didn't expect anything from Her,  she hasn't done anything big since her bronze in Rio , Ferial's gold in Karate was kind of surprise for me I expected her to win a medal but not gold, Omar Assar qualifying to quarters in TT was a great surprise, this guy has very big qualities but didn't show it with NT since a very while ago, especially defeating Falck was a great moment,  El Gendy going from 13 to Silver in MP after laser run was a very big pleasant surprise, he was absolutely flying whether in Shooting or Running, I know he's the best in this sport right now, but he proved that he can shine very early despite the very bad start in fencing with 2-7 record or even in Riding where he got all the 1st barrier,  I though I'm watching another heartbreak MP riding after Aya Medany in Beijing, but he kept his nerves and made 284 At the end out of 300 , Mohamed El Sayed from nowhere reaching Men's epee quarters and losing only 15-13 to the bronze medalist was something really really surprising for me, our fencers overall made great performance here, t was only about very small details that kept us away from a deserved medal and I can't really forget the great comeback of Mohamed Hamza against the legendary Cassara in men's foil from 13-7 down to winning the match 15-13 , it was absolutely amazing, dominating games against Germany and Sweden in handball was also surprising , Mohamed Metwally reaching Semis in Greco-Roman -87 from nowhere was another surprise 

Heartbreaks : Many ? I'd say the loss against Spain in men's handball BMM was the biggest, I cried much after this loss, I mean why we always can lose in this way in handball when we are really close from winning something big, why u miss twice when u can lead with 2 goals in the last 10 minutes, this sport has always brought joy and cries to me, the 2nd one was Mohamed Ibrahim loss against Ukrainian wrestler in men's greco Roman -67 in the vary last 8 seconds after leading 6-0 and Ukrainian sitting on the mat, I can't really describe how gutted am I with this match, The failure of Mhelba's brothers in Shotgun, Abdelrahman Wael loss in Taekwondo -68 in the last 2 seconds with a punch from a very average Bosnian player was really heartbreaking

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

I guess so, they expected to win 5 medals and got 6 

Current / Upcoming sports

Nothing known in Egypt and nothing logical as well, but I guess Wrestling and Taekwondo are the best sports where we can invest in among weightlifting which both future of the Sport and Egyptian lifters As well are very unknown 

1. I rated 8/10. We have a big recovery from Rio flop. Our traditional sports like diving, weightlifting, table tennis are consistent while badminton and gymnastics are recovered from Rio underperformance. Swimming and Athletics are a little bit better than I thought, we have first swimming relay gold and first field events gold. Rowing, Canoeing and Sailing all received at least one gold and all receiving medals on men's events. What disappointed me is that we have no golds on combat sports with 5 silvers and 4 bronzes. We have to strengthen combat sports for next OG.

2. Surprises go to WR and gold on swimming 4*200 women's free relay and gold of swimming men's 200m IM. Also shooting with 4 golds are also beyond my expectation. Heatbreaks go to Women's Volleyball eliminated on group stage and no golds on Taekwondo, 4-time olympian Wu Jingyu gonna retire again without a medal.

3.The overall goal is definitely achieved. The performance of most sports are beyond or meet expectations. Only combat sports are a little disappointing.

4.Sports with potential and receiving good results in Tokyo will be much more invested for sure. These sports are Rowing, Canoeing and Sailing. These sports are already "rich" compared to some combat sports like wrestling, with gold in pocket and breakthrough on men's events, they will receive more fund from authority and got more sponsorship. Swimming and Athletics also will get more investment in terms of training conditions and equipment, foreign coaches and more international tournaments opportunities. 

There were a few missed medal chances and especially in the beginning some unfortunate things: CommunicationGate at the women's road race, one of the BMX favourites injuring his knee due to a crossing official (but yeah, then he won gold, so there's that), the whole mess against the rowing team, who still got a big medal haul despite being pushed down and down. But then again, if you've got at least 20 events with a serious medal chance, you're absolutely going to have events where you'll miss the medals.

It won't mean anything for those who missed the medals, because for them it's about their medal and not someone else's, but in general the Dutch team performed incredibly well. Yes, in terms of overall medals, realistic expections were that Sydney's record of 25 medals would be shattered, so it's not a surprise at all in that sense, but it still has to...you know, happen! Even double digit gold medals for only the second time ever, behind Sydney when there were two swimming superstars, and medals in nearly a third of all sports (like in Rio), that is seriously good.

The judo team underperformed immensely, which no sport will make up for as far as how they feel about it of course, but the athletics team...wow. I was realistically counting on 4-5 medals - including a gold or potentially two - if things worked well as a whole, which would've already been an incredible and historical achievement. But EIGHT athletics medals?! Sure, if really every significant possibility worked out well, who knows. 

As for my favourite Dutch medals (there are plenty non-Dutch among my favourites of course):

Niek Kimmann's BMX gold after he injured his knee due to an official and after the semis in the hour before that went almost as dramatically bad as it could have gone for the Dutch team, except Kimmann. 

The 4x400m men running to silver, I truly never expected a Dutch team in that event being anywhere near the medals, despite their earlier achievements this year, and they wind up with the races of their lifetimes and achieve something so amazing.

Abdi Nageeye's marathon silver, 41 years after Gerard Nijboer took silver in Moscow (in a much weaker field and much easier race, according to Nijboer himself), and while guiding his long-time friend Bashir Abdi to the Olympic podium with him!

----

I'm going for 8/10, because the total medal haul was slightly less than realistically expected (albeit not much, hence the 8), but there were a whole lot of really good performances including those just outside the medals - think triathlon, for example.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

For :GBR pretty much a 9/10.  Almost every sport exceeded expectations. Only Rowing was a disappointment with internal political struggles producing an under-prepared team. Shooting lost a medal favourite, Amber Hill, to COVID. Taekwondo list another medal favourite, Jade Jones to nerves & having to fight an opponent from a merged weight category.  No Gold in Athletics, but Athletics is going through an era of very high standards.

Otherwise, everyone far exceeded expectations. Optimistic predictions were for 15 Gold, 50 Medals total, top 10 overall.  Instead 22G, 65 total - more than London 2012 - and 4th overall.  Many new or unknown sports like BMX, Mountain Biking & Modern Pentathlon were introduced to the British public. Established sports like Swimming & Cycling created a new generation of fans.  Many of our best competitors will be going forward to Paris, so there is lots to look forward to.

USA: maybe 5/10, lost in swimming, lost in track, 7 less golds then rio, 8 less totals, i'm glad we ended up leading the medal count but it shouldn't have been that close

2 - surprises: Jennifer Valente, Nathaniel Coleman, Xander Schauflee, Shooting team, Katy Ngeotte, Valerie Allman, Bobby Fincke. Heartbreaks : Ledecky in 200/400, Biles, Rai Benjamin, Deanna Price, Noah Lyles, Travon Brommell, the entire Archery team.

3 - Not at all, can't imagine the goal was less then 40 golds

4 - Perhaps canoeing with Nevin Harrison, Hopefully handball in anticipation for local participation in 2028. Otherwise all sport is very well funded here

Israel: 10/10, amazing games, most medals, 2 golds, making russia cry, 4th in open water, close to winning a medal in cycling.

2 - Surprises: Matan Roditi, Avishag Semberg, Mixed Judo Team             Hearbreaks: Katy Spachikov, Sagi Muki, Peter Paltchik, Anastasia Gorbenko

3 - Absolutley

4 - Hopefully Taekwondo, Gymanstics and Swimming

8/10

Obviously it wasn't perfect, but that almost never happens for any country, and I feel like 9 would be too high considering that our gold medal count is one of the lowest ever, even if that was to be expected. Still, great games for :HUN, highest number of total medals since 1996 and we won medals in 9 sports. 

Biggest surprise is Vas in women's mountain bike, that came out of literally nowhere. Our most surprising medal is in karate, and Hárspataki achieved it with a last second ippon. Thankfully we don't have many heartbreaks, most of the athletes who didn't deliver are the ones who either already had success previously at the Games or will most likely get another chance later on. The only exception is Dávid Verrasztó, this was his last chance to win an Olympic medal, so it was sad to see him finishing 4th. He's now the best Hungarian swimmer who never won an Olympic medal. 

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

According to our NOC the goal was to win at least 13 medals. We won 20 medals in Tokyo, so year, no complaints.

Who knows? Maybe now that we won a medal in sailing something will start, but we are a landlocked country so I doubt that anything significant will happen in the future. The sport that will get more attention in the next cycle is going to be athletics because we will host the world championships in 2023 and oh boy, there definitely has to be some improvements because Hungarian athletics had an abysmal Olympic Games in Tokyo.