website statistics

Totallympics 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics "Happiness Meter" - Final Poll

How do you feel about the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games?

• 0 - the worst Olympics of all time!
    • 1 - depressing games
    • 2 - I couldn't enjoy these games
    • 3 - I expected more; not very happy
    • 4 - it could have been better
    • 5 - mediocre games; I didn't feel much about them
    • 6 - quite decent
    • 7 - better than expected, I've been more than satisfied
    • 8 - very good, I've been enjoying the games
    • 9 - almost perfect; I'm overjoyed
    • 10 - the best Olympics ever!

95% of my enjoyment comes from gymnastics events. I don't think we've ever had an edition of the Olympics with more surprises and dramas than Tokyo. 

Some of the highlights:

1) Simone Biles showed huge character by stepping out of most of the finals. I've become an admirer after such strength.

2) ROC winning two team events surprising everyone.

3) Gold medal for Brazil, of course.

4) First-ever medals for Armenia, New Zealand and Turkey. 

5) Drama, tears and crazy results in rhythmic gymnastics, with ROC this time losing both events.

Seriously, I couldn't have asked for more.

I liked this edition and it's been the best ever OG for me. Yes, it would have been even better if spectators were allowed, but given the situation, Japan did a good job. I have lots and lots of complaints about the Japanese government and their lack of responsibility by failing to vaccinate the population, but this has nothing to do with the Olympics per se.

I enjoyed skateboarding a lot, and it has become one of the top 5 sports for me. I didn't like surfing at all. Karate was an absurd and unnecessary addition, in my opinion, and I'm glad it will probably never return to the program. I'm also glad Baseball will be gone, hopefully for good.

The only thing I miss is that there isn't an specific athlete this time that can be recognized as the face of the Olympics, like we've had with Bolt and Phelps. For me, I guess it will be Biles. She proved that competing at the Olympics is more than going for medals. Respect yourself first and foremost is the most important message one could deliver.

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

The only thing I miss is that there isn't an specific athlete this time that can be recognized as the face of the Olympics, like we've had with Bolt and Phelps. For me, I guess it will be Biles. She proved that competing at the Olympics is more than going for medals. Respect yourself first and foremost is the most important message one could deliver.

I'd definitely name An San as one of my highlight athletes. Three gold medals is a first in archery thanks to the mixed competition at just 20 years of age in this mentally tough sport.

But yeah, archery is just second-tier. Most sports will always fall short on attention behind swimming, athletics, gymnastics. :coffee: 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

The only thing I miss is that there isn't an specific athlete this time that can be recognized as the face of the Olympics, like we've had with Bolt and Phelps.

Interestingly this is something I see as positive, personally. Whereas the Olympics used to be promoted as a sort of 'Phelps/Bolt going for more glory, and oh yeah, there's a few other little thingies as well', this time that wasn't the case for this exact reason.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Probably around a 9.  Might have been an 8, but given the circumstances to get here and all the uncertainty that lead up to it, hard to expect for more than we got.  A massive thank you to everyone involved for pulling it all off

7 for Games overall and 4 for performance of Polish athletes, despite the biggest amount of medals in this century. We have win 9 medals in athletics, which is the best result ever for us, but just 5 medals in other sports and without gold, which is quite worrying.

I gave an 8. I was very apprehensive in the lead up to the games and didn’t enjoy the opening ceremony and felt little of the normal excitement I’d feel in the lead up to an Olympics. However on Day 1 of competition everything turned. Seeing competitors delighted in winning or distraught when losing showed me that the Olympics is really all about the athletes. The crowds at the men’s road race also added a touch of normality. As the games progressed I barely noticed the lack of crowd and  following our athletes on social media showed that they were having the adventure of their lives. Thankfully no event was disrupted by Covid and by end of games. Covid  was barely a factor and although cases rose in Tokyo it doesn’t seem games related. 
In the end I am so glad the games happened if only for the sake of the athletes. Sad as I am now the fact the Paris is only 3 years away is a major help.