website statistics

Totallympics 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics "Happiness Meter" - Final Poll

How do you feel about the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games?

• 0 - the worst Olympics of all time!
    • 1 - depressing games
    • 2 - I couldn't enjoy these games
    • 3 - I expected more; not very happy
    • 4 - it could have been better
    • 5 - mediocre games; I didn't feel much about them
    • 6 - quite decent
    • 7 - better than expected, I've been more than satisfied
    • 8 - very good, I've been enjoying the games
    • 9 - almost perfect; I'm overjoyed
    • 10 - the best Olympics ever!

Final poll - how satisfied have you been with the 2020 Tokyo Olympics?

After Day 2: 5,03

After Day 4: 5,63

After Day 6: 6,40

After Day 8: 6,71

After Day 10: 5,91

After Day 12: 6,87

After Day 14: 6,29

Final Tokyo 2020 Happiness Rating: 7,06 (after 53 votes)

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

At first I didn't really feel excited. There was too much negativity revolving around the games and Covid, I didn't expect there to be a great atmosphere. Then came the first matches in softball and football before the opening ceremony, still didn't feel much. It all got better with the opening ceremony for me and all of a sudden, I got excited. It was the Olympics after all and  the organisers did their best to make them happen.

I was telling myself before, I would not change my sleeping schedule. In the end, I didn't, but I couldn't really sleep on the night towards the first day. I checked the first result online and then I got up and I was hooked immediately. Gone was the negativity the months before. And it felt like there were no spectators needed. The athletes created the tension and emotions all by themselves. Literally everyone was crying, over 4th place as well as the bronze. Daria Bilodid's bout comes to mind. Eventually, we got to see two weeks of exciting sports, shifts and turnarounds in the medal table. Many records were broken, many nations had their best games ever (some not, of course).

About the new sports, I enjoyed all of them. There's none I would say they shouldn't return.

Softball/baseball is one of my favourite team sports now, even if they take a while. Not to mention one of the less Euro-centric ones which is also nice to have. Skateboarding I fully enjoyed but definitely park more than street. I expected street to be more than just a bit of "slopestyle". Sport climbing too of course, and we can all agree on having to separate speed from lead/boulder. The combined format was not the greatest.

Behind  those three comes karate. Someone said it's more exciting than judo and I can see that. This time, judo felt like it dragged on too much with a lot of golden score decisions. Definitely wouldn't mind karate returning. The only slight problem I had was following  the surfing. It's relaxing  to watch but on busy days with tons of stuff going on I didn't feel like waiting for the waves to come. It's still nice to have it but it certainly didn't get my priority here. 

More about specific teams to follow later. All in all a better Olympics than I thought they would be. Sorry Japan didn't get to show its full potential here, but still.

Arigatou Tokyo. :JPN 

To clarify my mark of 5... I can't really go any higher since this event failed to deliver the Olympic atmosphere. Sure, it's COVID, but everyone knows that empty stands were largely a political decision. I didn't feel Tokyo or Japan at all. It could have been held anywhere else and I wouldn't know the difference (especially with all those curious music choices, like Bolero during the torch ceremony (WTF?), or 80s American rock standards while victory ceremonies were being prepared, or just the most cheesy medal ceremony music ever - as if someone googled "emotional uplifting music").

Appareny this lack of Japan in Japan was felt by many athletes/officials on site as well, so was there any hope for the TV spectators to begin with...?

There were other underlying issues as well. Most notably the worst graphics/info system in many, many editions. Half of the shooting finals were totally unwatchable. Other sports had their glitches too.

#banbestmen

I agree with @dcro

the only different feeling is maybe that I had the chance to enjoy a lot of Italian medals (some of them really unexpected and emotional), but I also experienced some flops that turned me off big time...

but for what concerns the general feeling about the Games, I couldn't explain with better words than our friend...

I really hope that Paris would be able to do a lot better in terms of general athmosphere and people's participation (both in the stadiums and outside)...

p.s. should those idiots who replaced karate with breakdancing starve to death! :pope: :thumbdown: :bones:

32 minutes ago, dcro said:

To clarify my mark of 5... I can't really go any higher since this event failed to deliver the Olympic atmosphere. Sure, it's COVID, but everyone knows that empty stands were largely a political decision. I didn't feel Tokyo or Japan at all. It could have been held anywhere else and I wouldn't know the difference (especially with all those curious music choices, like Bolero during the torch ceremony (WTF?), or 80s American rock standards while victory ceremonies were being prepared, or just the most cheesy medal ceremony music ever - as if someone googled "emotional uplifting music").

Appareny this lack of Japan in Japan was felt by many athletes/officials on site as well, so was there any hope for the TV spectators to begin with...?

There were other underlying issues as well. Most notably the worst graphics/info system in many, many editions. Half of the shooting finals were totally unwatchable. Other sports had their glitches too.

I agree with you there could and should have been "more Japan". The protocol was quite strict here. Athletes had to travel back once their competition was over. Still good to see these games were to happen at all instead of someone's gloomy prediction of a cancellation to come true.

Take it from an emotional person but I liked the medal ceremony tune. It did make me shed a tear at times. I got sentimental "now it's over" vibes from it.

The graphics didn't do much for me either. I know many people didn't like the tilted London/Sochi flags but those were the best for me. Nothing wrong with simpler graphics but they could have been a bit more special. 

I think Paris will do a great job in terms of atmosphere. They want to involve the city more and surprise us so there's that to look forward to. 

Due to the COVID situation I lowered my expectation, but it was not actually that bad - hence I rated it 8.

The political shitstorm in the organizers really affected these Games (the ban on spectators, the big influence of Abe and Dentsu, the selection of higher ups in the organizers), the only political good thing is they decided to actually host the Games after delaying it.

I was very upset when I read the recently released full original plan of opening ceremony which is scrapped in favour of old ass Dentsu handpicked guy. We lost the Japan-ness in the ceremony and instead we have only have very, very, subtle Japanese element in it which won't be felt by people who are not that deep into Japanese culture. We would have a lot of Nintendo and anime stuff like the ones in Rio 2016 closing ceremony, but the whole thing was thrown away....

I enjoyed the competition from Day 1 and I think I've never been into the competition like this in previous editions. I also like the national anthems played in Tokyo, I think they recorded a new version of the anthems since the feel is very different (for example I've never heard the Philippines anthem so epic like that before). I also never expected that I will actually enjoyed baseball/softball and surfing. Karate, skateboarding, and the combined sport climbing were the new sports I enjoyed less, but hey it's still 1000x better than f-ing breakdancing. Supporting the small nations across the Games have been fun in Tokyo too.

So yeah, this is what Tokyo can deliver with all the obstacles - probably not the ideal Games but it's better than nothing. Arigatou Nippon, arigatou Tokyo, mata aimashou.

I am quite grateful that Japan successfully host this very different OG despite all kinds of difficulties including internal protests and rapidly changing COVID situation. It is not wonderful since there is no spectators but it's respectful to fulfill its commitment to the international society. So I would not ask too much from Japan, on the contrary I am grateful of what they offered.

I am not satisfied with the creepy opening ceremony and I don't like Japanese athletes sometimes over-scored on sports judged by referees. But when it all ends, that feeling is just let go. I began to appreciate that it's quite difficult to host the games with so much pressure and you can't require the host to benefit 0 with so much cost.

So I would like to sincerely thank Japan. It provided a wonderful stage for athletes and provided so much joy, excitement, up and downs for fans. Arigoto Nippon :JPN. Lastly hope we can have spectators in Beijing 2022. If so I will wave my hands in TV.:clap: