website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Laraja said:

Changes for wrestling. Not sure what really was changed here. @JoshMartini007@Sindo

I think they mean "changes" comparing from Tokyo 2020 qualifiation system, not from the previous Paris 2024 system already uploaded on the IOC website. I see no changes there.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

The document looks the same for me. Was something updated in the text?

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Why are the weight categories different in M freestyle and greco? I don’t get it.

They are just different disciplines, like the competitions in Kayak and Canoe boats in Canoeing Sprint/Slalom.

I am not an expert on it, but in Greco you can't attack the legs of your opponent, and in freestyle it's allowed. They may have other differences, but @MHSNcan give you a better answer.

8 minutes ago, Laraja said:

They are just different disciplines, like the competitions in Kayak and Canoe boats in Canoeing Sprint/Slalom.

I am not an expert on it, but in Greco you can't attack the legs of your opponent, and in freestyle it's allowed. They may have other differences, but @MHSNcan give you a better answer.

yeah, but this isn't the question

they used to have the same weight classes for Freestyle and Greco-Roman Wrestling until a few years ago (2012, if I remember correctly), but then a brilliant mind came up with the decision to have different weight in the 2 disciplines, as if it would make any difference :facepalm:

basically, they used the excusation that GR is more a European affair and the average weight of European people is heavier than for instance the average Asians, where most Freestyle Nations come from

even if it's true that FR is more widely spread outside Europe than GR, I still think it's just cosmetics and also a mess that might cause problems to the occasional fans to identify the categories of this sport

however, now it's quite some time (since Rio 2016 at the Olympic Games) that we have this difference and I don't think we'll get back to the old situation

34 minutes ago, Laraja said:

let me give you a detailed answer 

people who know nothing about this sport usually can't understand the difference between GR and FS. I even remember some "wise" people even in totallympics suggested having 3 GR weights and 3 FS weights, like a wrestler can easily switch between styles. 50 years ago? maybe but nowadays you can't find a single wrestler in high level who tries both styles (yeah Taishi Narikuni tried Greco after winning the world title in FS but failed miserably) 

kids switch styles when they are younger to find what they can do better. but when they settle into one of those two styles that never changes. 

those genius guys in UWW (previously FILA) tried to find a way to show the world these styles are different. as far as I know they came up with two solutions. (there were other solutions like having different mat colors but that was costly)

1) let the Greco guys wrestle naked ! obviously I mean just the upper body :d I remember I heard one of their officials saying that's more "attractive" 

2) having different weight classes

they eventually went for #2. this way they just want to show the world these styles are different. and yes I know this is extremely stupid but UWW/FILA officials were never smart