website statistics

Sailing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 7 months later...
25 minutes ago, DaniSRB said:

Are there any information about qualification? According to one page there is going to be ILCA qualifications already in april :mumble:

Everyone seems to be keeping quiet. Not sure if the IOC is putting an embargo on the information or if one of the sports has a controversial qualification pathway and needs to be redone.

Usually the first events will be in summer, but every now and then we do see someone start extra early.

• 1 year later...

Ok, guys, question from a complete ignoramus in the topic.

I just read on our NOC website an article about our sailor (yes, yes, Slovakia. I swear) the guy is apparently competing here and there in the U21 category in the new IQ-Foil thing or however it is written correctly...

The question is, the NOC is trying in that mentioned article to convince me the guy has some realistic chances to qualify for Paris (well, Marseille to be precise), surely not by direct quota since at the last U21 worlds he finished 16th.. so yeah, no chance... but, apparently, via a sort of universality "development program of world yachting" thing in which he is apparently leading the ranking... Is this even possible ? I mean we are definitely not a Universality nation country.. even if we are slowly heading to it lately (but that is another story...)... so there must be a mistake in the NOC site right ? RIGHT ?

the article in slovak https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/ms-u21-iqfoil-2023-kubin

Edited by hckošice

49 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Ok, guys, question from a complete ignoramus in the topic.

I just read on our NOC website an article about our sailor (yes, yes, Slovakia. I swear) the guy is apparently competing here and there in the U21 category in the new IQ-Foil thing or however it is written correctly...

The question is, the NOC is trying in that mentioned article to convince me the guy has some realistic chances to qualify for Paris (well, Marseille to be precise), surely not by direct quota since at the last U21 worlds he finished 16th.. so yeah, no chance... but, apparently, via a sort of universality "development program of world yachting" thing in which he is apparently leading the ranking... Is this even possible ? I mean we are definitely not a Universality nation country.. even if we are slowly heading to it lately (but that is another story...)... so there must be a mistake in the NOC site right ? RIGHT ?

the article in slovak https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/ms-u21-iqfoil-2023-kubin

In sailing, there's something called the Emerging Nations Program where World Sailing provides support to nations who are not fully developed in sailing. In terms of Olympic quotas there is one spot in the windsurfing and dinghy events each for the emerging nations which is what this article is talking about.

I haven't found a list on who's eligible, I assume it is the nations listed in the two "not developed" columns seen here

10 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

In sailing, there's something called the Emerging Nations Program where World Sailing provides support to nations who are not fully developed in sailing. In terms of Olympic quotas there is one spot in the windsurfing and dinghy events each for the emerging nations which is what this article is talking about.

I haven't found a list on who's eligible, I assume it is the nations listed in the two "not developed" columns seen here

interesting strategy for development. I did not know about it. So, let see how it ends, in each case, it is hard to imagine, we could have a representative in this and none in sprint canoeing lol

28 minutes ago, hckošice said:

interesting strategy for development. I did not know about it. So, let see how it ends, in each case, it is hard to imagine, we could have a representative in this and none in sprint canoeing lol

Yeah, I wish other sports with events with a large field size would implement such programs. The tripartite is wonderful and all, but it does hurt nations like Jamaica and Ethiopia where due to being strong in one sport struggles to participate in others.

The downside with this program is sport federations may focus on "large market" nations like India instead of the small poor nations.

6 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, I wish other sports with events with a large field size would implement such programs. The tripartite is wonderful and all, but it does hurt nations like Jamaica and Ethiopia where due to being strong in one sport struggles to participate in others.

The downside with this program is sport federations may focus on "large market" nations like India instead of the small poor nations.

Basketball has something like this too, I think, a place reserved for an emerging nation.

7 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

You’d just need to add some additional stipulations. Nations with fewer athletes, who were represented across fewer sports at previous editions, and have maintained regular attendance at major events in the sport get priority. NOCs can’t get repeat invites in certain sports (looking at you :CPV:LCA). NOCs can’t get more than one universality/emerging nations slot per sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 months later...

US Olympic Team Trials

The US Olympic selection regatta across 5 events took place in Miami last week. 

Athletes Confirmed as Selected for Team USA:

Women's iQFOiL - Dominique Stater - Stater confirmed in the quota that she secured in taking silver at last year's Pan-American games

Men's 49er - Ian Barrows & Hans Henken - The US quota was won by Andrew Mollerus and Ian MacDiarmid when they finished 5th at the World Champs with Barrows and Henken finishing in 9th. At the selection trials, Barrows and Henken won the event by 3 points. 

Other Event Winners:

Mixed 470 - Stu McNay & Lara Dallman-Weiss

Men's iQFOiL - Noah Lyons

Men's Kite - Markus Edegran

For these 3 boats, USA do not currently have a quota so these athletes need to secure their tickets to Paris via the 470 World Champs or the last chance regatta.