website statistics

Women's Rugby Sevens Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, rybak said:

Did anyone know if results from upcoming World Cup, which will be held in South Africa have any influence in Olympic qualifications? Either direct qualification or points to ranking or something or nothing?

Maybe it can influence in the teams choosen to participate at each continental event. Not sure about that, but it wouldn't be a huge influence in terms of the potential qualified teams.

Once the ranking will be used only for HSBC Sevens Series, and the final tournament will participate teams not yet qualified from continental tournaments.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 10:58 PM, rybak said:

Did anyone know if results from upcoming World Cup, which will be held in South Africa have any influence in Olympic qualifications? Either direct qualification or points to ranking or something or nothing?

Nope. 4 spots in the 2023 World Series, then one spot for each continent, then one spot at the final repechage tournament. 

This time WR included the case where both USA and Canada qualified via the WS, in order to avoid a team like Mexico getting a free ticket, before it happened. Surprised they didn't foresee the possibility that Australia, NZ and Fiji did. If so I doubt they would award PNG a continental spot.

@rybak this window is probably the best for Poland to qualify (assuming they won't progress to an even better status in the coming years). France is automatically qualified, Russia excluded, Spain rebuilding. The only issue is that both Ireland and GB probably won't qualify through the WS.

48 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

Surprised they didn't foresee the possibility that Australia, NZ and Fiji did. If so I doubt they would award PNG a continental spot.

Yeah, if anything this scenario is more likely than both Canada and USA finishing in the top 4. I imagine they will chance the rules to screw over PNG

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, if anything this scenario is more likely than both Canada and USA finishing in the top 4. I imagine they will chance the rules to screw over PNG

It would be a spineless decision, but they do have a precedent...

Imo, rugby sevens is still facing growing pains which started immediately after the freshness of Rio expired, basically.

#banbestmen

47 minutes ago, dcro said:

It would be a spineless decision, but they do have a precedent...

Imo, rugby sevens is still facing growing pains which started immediately after the freshness of Rio expired, basically.

More so on the women's side. The depth is still pretty low and once you go through the top 12 or so teams the quality declines sharply. At least on the men's side we have depth teams. While I don't expect much from teams like :GER :HKG :TGA :UGA :URU they won't be completely embarrassed.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

More so on the women's side. The depth is still pretty low and once you go through the top 12 or so teams the quality declines sharply. At least on the men's side we have depth teams. While I don't expect much from teams like :GER :HKG :TGA :UGA :URU they won't be completely embarrassed.

There is also the issue of three-day tournaments, which I don't think is all that great for any multi-sports games, in particular the Olympics. It just comes and goes amidst other action.

Paris scheduling is a novelty with the group stages starting before the Opening ceremony and the finals on the first days. I am pretty confident this was done to increase viewership more than anything else.

#banbestmen

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

What about Samoa?