website statistics

Men's Football Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

by the way, yesterday the draw of the group stage of the next U-21 European Championships (Olympic qualifier, 3 places up for grabs) was held:

Group A

• :GEO Georgia
  • :POR Portugal
  • :BEL Belgium
  • :NED Netherlands

Group B

• :ROU Romania
  • :ESP Spain
  • :UKR Ukraine
  • :CRO Croatia

Group C

• :CZE Czech Republic
  • :ENG England
  • :GER Germany
  • :ISR Israel

Group D

• :NOR Norway
  • :SUI Switzerland
  • :FRA France
  • :ITA Italy

the top 2 in each group advance to the quarterfinals (teams from group A will meet teams from group C; teams from group B will meet teams from group D), then semis and the finals (under normal circumstances, the Bronze Medal match will be the Olympic Qualification's last chance; if only one between FRA and ENG would eventually make the top 4, no Bronze Medal match will be played).

but...as France are already qualified to the Olympic Games as Host Nation and England can't qualify because they can't play under the GBR Flag at the Games, if necessary (= both FRA and ENG making the top 4), there will be a playoff to determine the last qualified team between the eligible teams eliminated at the quarterfinal stage.

Edited by phelps

• 6 months later...

Can someone clarify if :DOM is qualified for the Olympics? All the sources from July 2022 states they qualified as runner-up of the 2022 CONCACAF U20 championship, but then in December the IOC updated the document stating this:

image.png

Does that mean 1 quota was awarded through the tournament ( :USA ) and the other quota will be awarded through a Play-off (involving which team?). So :DOM lost the quota? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

Can someone clarify if :DOM is qualified for the Olympics? All the sources from July 2022 states they qualified as runner-up of the 2022 CONCACAF U20 championship, but then in December the IOC updated the document stating this:

image.png

Does that mean 1 quota was awarded through the tournament ( :USA ) and the other quota will be awarded through a Play-off (involving which team?). So :DOM lost the quota? Thanks!

afaik, the CONCACAF playoff is only among the women.

the men already completed their qualification process in the 2022 continental tournament.

and I can't find a single news about that being modified in due course (like it happened for the women's European pathway).

I searched also in Spanish language among the Dominican websites and press and there's no news of them losing their quota place, therefore I assume no changes have been made in the men's division. :mumble:

49 minutes ago, phelps said:

afaik, the CONCACAF playoff is only among the women.

the men already completed their qualification process in the 2022 continental tournament.

and I can't find a single news about that being modified in due course (like it happened for the women's European pathway).

I searched also in Spanish language among the Dominican websites and press and there's no news of them losing their quota place, therefore I assume no changes have been made in the men's division. :mumble:

Yes, but then in December 2022 IOC updated the qualification document which added the part I showed in the screenshot.

According to @Matej, it is one team from U20 2022 Championship and one team from playoff.

@Laraja / @JoshMartini007 Do you know something more about this?

Edited by Sindo