website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

Well, first of all im glad to read so many users to express their happiness for their countrys performances but, in my case, im in the group of MHSN (but stronger), my country pass for 3 G and 1 S in Rio to 1 S and 2 B, with 177 athletes (its true, 7 teams), we did exactly the same performance in the medal table like San Marino with only 5 athletes......

Of course there are particulars reasons of any athlete and sport but in general reasons i see: 1) clearly less budget than Rio for desicion of the last goverment and being continue with the current, 2) The goverment forbidden for months to get out from our homes and the athltes cant train, the swimmer Pignatiello of 800/1500 meter trains for months in the 2 m swimming pool of their own house and Suarez from rowing was close to go to jail for train ALONE in a river, for say some examples and 3) dont exist a good renovation, we have the same "old glorys" to try to be medallist again, many retired after this games and the yourh olympic games of Buenos Aires 2018 are clearly wasted, only Pignatiello (if i dont remember bad) was the only one who was there and being in this olympics.

I dont believe it will be a an important decision to make the situation better, so im not optimistic for Paris.

In the end, France managed to win as many gold medals as in Rio, but 9 less medals in total, which is worrying since the next Olympics will be at home and usually the next host country starts improving at the previous Olympics...

We are almost non-existent now in athletics and swimming which are 2 of the biggest medal providers so that doesn't help. Bring me back to 2012 when we were doing so well in swimming :(

Anyway, onto the positive things: we had once again great results in judo, good in fencing too (despite some disappointments), and of course team sports, which saved our butts in the last days of the Games. It will be hard to beat these results next time (6 medals including 3 golds in team sports)!

58 minutes ago, Bohemia said:

In the end, France managed to win as many gold medals as in Rio, but 9 less medals in total, which is worrying since the next Olympics will be at home and usually the next host country starts improving at the previous Olympics...

We are almost non-existent now in athletics and swimming which are 2 of the biggest medal providers so that doesn't help. Bring me back to 2012 when we were doing so well in swimming :(

Anyway, onto the positive things: we had once again great results in judo, good in fencing too (despite some disappointments), and of course team sports, which saved our butts in the last days of the Games. It will be hard to beat these results next time (6 medals including 3 golds in team sports)!

2024 will no doubt provide a boost.

Generally speaking, Tokyo 2020 was poor for french hopes. 33 medals is our lowest total since Athens. Expectations before the games were about the same as Rio (42 medals despite the 10% extra events we had in Japan). We are for from it.

Many of our biggest gold hopes (MTB, BMX, men's team epée, Vincent Luis, Herbert-Mahut for the second time, Benjamin Thomas, etc.) fail to even reach the podium.

Ok, poor olympic games can happen. The issue being that lately we only had poor olympic games. Since 2012, we continually fail to match the results we had in world championships prior to the Olympic Games (thanks again @sindo for the great work)

(mondiaux = world championship; or = gold; médailles = well, medals )

It seems like we are continually underperforming during the olympics which is as much disappointing that it is frustrating. I would very much prefer it to be the other way around...

We talk big plans about sport in school and sport facilities and whatever. But we have an immediate problem here that could rapidly (?) and easily (?) be fixed, and nobody seem to acknowledge it. Very frustrating.

On 07/08/2021 at 09:33, intoronto said:

Canadian men for the second consecutive Games only win medals in athletics. It's not sustainable and hopefully something changes in 2024.

In 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 Greek women won the same amount of medals as Greek men. This time Greek men won 4 medals and Greek women on 0 medals. First time since 1988 that Greek women didn't win any medals.

We had Stefanidi get 4th in pole vault, Sakkari in mixed doubles 5th, Bourmpou/Kyridou 5th in rowing, Korakaki 6th in two shooting events, Tzeli 7th in taekwondo, Teltsidou 7th in judo, Drisbioti 8th in 20km walk, Kyriakopoulou 8th in pole vault, Ntountounaki 9th in 100m butterfly, Karachaliou 9th in sailing etc.

We are similar to Canada in a way, based on what @JoshMartini007said, because we also are generalists and don't focus on specific sports. All 4 of our medals this year were in different sports. In Rio we won 6 medals all in different sports except 2 shooting medals which were from the same person. In London and Beijing we also did not win more than 1 medal in a single sport. In this way I think Greece and Canada are similar.

@DnlAmazing haul for Israel, with record in medals, and 2 golds. New medals in Taekwondo and Gymnastics. 5th place twice i believe in Judo, 4th place in swimming open water. And many crying russians, which is like the icing on the cake

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Generally speaking, Tokyo 2020 was poor for french hopes. 33 medals is our lowest total since Athens. Expectations before the games were about the same as Rio (42 medals despite the 10% extra events we had in Japan). We are for from it.

Many of our biggest gold hopes (MTB, BMX, men's team epée, Vincent Luis, Herbert-Mahut for the second time, Benjamin Thomas, etc.) fail to even reach the podium.

Ok, poor olympic games can happen. The issue being that lately we only had poor olympic games. Since 2012, we continually fail to match the results we had in world championships prior to the Olympic Games (thanks again @sindo for the great work)

(mondiaux = world championship; or = gold; médailles = well, medals )

It seems like we are continually underperforming during the olympics which is as much disappointing that it is frustrating. I would very much prefer it to be the other way around...

We talk big plans about sport in school and sport facilities and whatever. But we have an immediate problem here that could rapidly (?) and easily (?) be fixed, and nobody seem to acknowledge it. Very frustrating.

Is it France underperforming, other countries raising their game for the Olympics or a combination of the two? You mentioned disappointing results in athletics and swimming but I was also shocked by the results from cycling a sport in which historically France has been the most successful nation.

It's difficult to believe that France won't get a bounce in Paris but what are the powers that be doing to ensure it happens? Is there anyone out there putting any pressure on them or don't people care?

With 13 medals, Turkey won their most total medals ever. Obviously 3 in karate made the difference but what really stands out is the fact that it seems all of their medals were won by actual Turks. In previous Games, about half of their medals came from naturalized athletes that have nothing to do with Turkey.

I don't think it says much because Turkey still has a lot of naturalized athletes, they just didn't win medals this time. But I hope that this can be a lesson to all of these countries (Turkey, Azerbaijan etc) that you don't need to naturalize athletes to win a lot of medals. Turkey had their best Olympics ever without naturalized athletes winning medals. Maybe now they can realize that they will be successful by developing their own talents instead of just ruining the Olympic spirit and buying medals.

I know I sound like a broken record about this but I am very against these bought athletes who win medals for countries they are not from and don't have connections to other than money.

Also it would be interested if someone made a table of medals won like this and also what the medal count would look like without these. For example Azerbaijan won 7 medals in Tokyo. 3 from Ukrainians and 1 from a Cuban.