website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

5 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Here. Nice to see Rebeca Andrade at the top 50 :p

An San, Lisa Carrington and Elaine Thompson-Herah as 'queens of the Games' for me then :p Caeleb Dressel and Hashimoto Daiki as the kings.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

57 minutes ago, Quasit said:

After Day 15 Rio: 294/306 events, 87 NOCs with medals

After Day 15 Tokyo: 326/339 events, 93 NOCs with medals

Who would have thought that the race for 1st/2nd between :CHN China and the :USA US is open until the very last day? 4th place between :GBR GB and :ROC Russia as well. Everything comes pretty much down to boxing, volleyball and track cycling. :JPN Japan with another huge day for them safely 3rd and :AUS Australia will finish 6th. The record number of nations winning at least one medal has grown to 93 today.

:KOR South Korea will find themselves out of the Top 10 this cycle.

:IND India are having their most succesful Summer Olympics winning 7 medals, including a gold, surpassing the amount of total medals by one (6 medals 2012 in London). :NOR Norway might finish Top 20 for the first time since 2004 (5-0-1; 17th in Athens).

:BRA Brazil have become the second country (after GB) surpassing their medal winnings after hosting the previous Summer Games. On their best games, they finish with medals in the twenties range.

Very unsuccessful games for :RSA South Africa, going down from 10 medals in Rio to just 3 in Tokyo. One of which came from the new sport of surfing. Also, :ETH Ethiopia might not only finish behind :KEN Kenya but also behind :UGA Uganda this time.

4th place counter*

(30) :USA

(22) :ROC 

(17) :JPN 

(16) :GBR

(15) :CAN:KOR 

(14) :CHN:HUN:ITA

(13) :GER:NED

(12) :FRA

(10) :ESP:TUR:UKR

(8) :BRA:MEX

(7) :AUS:BEL:GEO:UZB

(6) :COL:MGL:SUI

(5) :ETH:IND:KAZ:POL:SRB

(4) :TPE:CRO:DEN:IRI:ISR:JAM:KEN:NZL:NOR

(3) :BLR:CUB:EGY:LAT:SLO:THA:VEN

(2) :ARM:AZE:BUL:CHI:CIV:DOM:FIN:GRE:IRL:MOZ:POR:ROU:SWE and the Refugee Olympic Team

(1) :ALB:ALG:ARG:BIH:IVB:CMR:CRC:CYP:CZE:GUA:HAI:HKG:INA:JOR:KGZ:LTU:MAS:MRI:MDA:NIG:NGR:PAN:PHI:SGP:SVK:RSA:TKM

*5th places in events that award two bronze medals; also includes QF losers in boxing and athletes in karate kumite one shy from the SF after the pool stage

The women's middleweight boxing final between China and GB is likely to be decisive in determining either the 1st or 4th place finishers and possibly both.

Apart from Lauren Price, GB have competitors in three other events: cycling's women's omnium (Laura Kenny) and men's kierin (Jack Carlin & Jason Kenny) and the men's marathon (Callum Hawkins, Chris Thompson & Ben Connors).

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

An San, Lisa Carrington and Elaine Thompson-Herah as 'queens of the Games' for me then :p Caeleb Dressel and Hashimoto Daiki as the kings.

Last time there were much more Americans among the most medal holders (3 or more golds):

Phelps 5-1-0

Ledecky 4-1-0

Biles 4-0-1

Murphy 3-0-0

Non Americans:

Hosszú 3-1-0

Kozák 3-0-0

Jason Kenny 3-0-0

Usain Bolt 3-0-0

Now it's only Dressel from the US with 5-0-0, while there are 5 non Americans (2 Australian swimmers, Thompson, An San and Carrington)

These are our worst olympics in 30 years, yet we are going to secure our precious top 10. The handball and volleyball golds are really somthing that we will cheerish for the next hree years to come.

Bring Paris 2024 ASAP :boxing:

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

:mumble:

I wouldn't go as far. Although two gold medals is certainly a big achievement, both of his gold medals might be seen as at least a bit controversial, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't have awarded him either. There were better gymnasts in those finals.

On 05/08/2021 at 22:04, thiago_simoes said:

And artistic gymnastics. I'm not sure Amir Said will continue, but if he does, he should be a threat for the podium. But France's best chance should be Melanie de Jesus dos Santos. It's unbelievable how she just cannot control her nerves. She and Flávia Saraiva are the most heartbreaking cases in artistic gymnastics of extremely talented gymnasts that cannot win medals at the Olympics or the World Championships because they choke every single time. But when they learn to control her nerves, they can be serious medal threats.

Sounds crazy but I give them a shot at table tennis, at least for minor medals. 

They showed spirit hereand they can build around Simon Gauzy and Prithika Pavade on the next cycle. Gauzy beat Xu Xin on major occasions before like at the 2019 worlds (although Xu Xin can be erratic at times). Lebesson might also be around. I can picture a mixed medal for them.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 hour ago, Quasit said:

Sounds crazy but I give them a shot at table tennis, at least for minor medals. 

They showed spirit hereand they can build around Simon Gauzy and Prithika Pavade on the next cycle. Gauzy beat Xu Xin on major occasions before like at the 2019 worlds (although Xu Xin can be erratic at times). Lebesson might also be around. I can picture a mixed medal for them.

Gauzy, just like Hugo Calderano, is extremely unpredictable, but very talented. I would love them to try to play doubles tournaments together.

Now that it's very likely decided, unless China pulls off that gold in boxing while the US doesn't win anything else, I must say, I am not sure if China will get another opportunity like this in the near future. I doubt that the US will have another messy SOG like Tokyo so close to LA2028. This was China's chance, they have blown it by losing gold medals in diving, badminton, table tennis and weightlifting (obviously the US lost a lot more gold medals where they were the favorites, but that just shows that they still stronger than China at the Summer Games, they can afford to lose more and still win in the end)