website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

I am not worried about the results of France. Of course, it's a shame that we don't get medals in "successful" sports after  Rio (boxing,equestrian).I am very happy for team sports. I don't think that something will change in 3 years, especially in front of a home audience.

I would also like to add that most of the French athletes are under 25 years old. Most athletes before the Games had the task not only to try to get a medal, but also to gain Olympic experience.The most obvious example for me is the women's team pursuit in the track cycling. And the fact that France took a lot of offensive fourth places is probably due to poor acclimatization or the youth of the athletes. 

52 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Yes, 4x400 m is good option but USA underperformed in many sports, wouldnt be surprised to see them winning some other medal.

Netherlands should win few more medals in track cycling, should they?

I feel sorry for many German athletes, Unruh, handball team, judokas, shooters, beach volleyball.

Tomorrow is a huge day for the Netherlands actually!

Field hockey women final

Track cycling men sprint final

Track cycling women madison

Athletics 1500m final (Hassan)

Boxing semi final (Fontijn)

Other than that, it's mostly track cycling yeah:d

Edit: individual sprint of course, not team sprint.

24 minutes ago, LDOG said:

France should improve in swimming, cycling, TKD, tennis (clay) and boxing (buying judges like Japan).

I wonder how much France will improve in swimming. They recently signed Dutch coach Jacco Verhaeren. He had various roles as a coach and technical director in Dutch swimming from roughly 2000 to 2014 (Van den Hoogenband, De Bruijn, Kromowidjojo, etc.) and then joined the Australian swimming team which was super succesful these games. I believe he's one of the best Dutch coaches/managers in sports in general!

47 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Yes, 4x400 m is good option but USA underperformed in many sports, wouldnt be surprised to see them winning some other medal.

Netherlands should win few more medals in track cycling, should they?

I feel sorry for many German athletes, Unruh, handball team, judokas, shooters, beach volleyball.

Netherlands should win at least 2 more golds in track cycling, also 1 or 2 more golds in athletics and 1 gold in field hockey. There is no reason to feel sorry for the german athletes you mentioned:

Unruh: Won individual silver in 2016 and team bronze in Tokyo

Handball: They were completely hopeless against Egypt, with such a performance they only deserve criticism.

Judo: 2 medals was a solid result for Germany.

Shooting: Very poor performances, but Karsch and Reitz already won olympic medals.

Beach volleyball: Pretty much the expected results.

If anything you should feel sorry for women's quadruple sculls and Niklas Kaul, both of them lost a safe medal due to bad luck. Also maybe Elisabeth Seitz deserves some sympathy after narrowly missing bronze again (at her last olympics). I also feel a bit sorry for Christopher Linke in men's 20 km race walking for missing a medal again, here are his results at the last 4 global competitions:

2020 olympics: 5th place (22 seconds behind bronze)

2019 world championships: 4th place (19 seconds behind bronze)

2017 world championships: 5th place (17 seconds behind bronze)

2016 olympics: 5th place (23 seconds behind bronze)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

21 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Tomorrow is a huge day for the Netherlands actually!

Field hockey women final

Track cycling men team sprint final

Track cycling women madison

Athletics 1500m final (Hassan)

Boxing semi final (Fontijn)

Other than that, it's mostly track cycling yeah:d

Another final in men's team sprint? Brilliant strategy to catch China in the medal table ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

24 minutes ago, EupenM said:

I am not worried about the results of France. Of course, it's a shame that we don't get medals in "successful" sports after  Rio (boxing,equestrian).I am very happy for team sports. I don't think that something will change in 3 years, especially in front of a home audience.

I would also like to add that most of the French athletes are under 25 years old. Most athletes before the Games had the task not only to try to get a medal, but also to gain Olympic experience.The most obvious example for me is the women's team pursuit in the track cycling. And the fact that France took a lot of offensive fourth places is probably due to poor acclimatization or the youth of the athletes. 

Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. I think France just took a different approach, focusing more on team sports. Objectively this is a better approach, because it increases social cohesion. For society as a whole the best strategy would be to mainly fund sports that a) increase social cohesion (team sports) and/or b) help integrate people (for example boxing/athletics) and/or c) are very healthy (rowing/athletics/swimming/cycling). It doesn't make much sense to fund sports like shooting, equestrian or fencing, unless your main goal is to win as many medals as possible out of pure vanity.

After Day 13 Rio: 242/306 events, 81 NOCs with medals

After Day 13 Tokyo: 269/339 events, 88 NOCs with medals

88 NOCs have won medals which is not only more in than 2016 in Rio but also a new record that was previously achieved at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Additionally, there have been 63 different NOCs with at least one gold medal.

:BUR Burkina Faso won their first Olympic medal thanks to triple jumper Hugues Fabrice Zango.

The battle between the :USA US and :CHN China for most golds is still on and will likely go full distance. The Americans are catching up with twice as many golds won than the Chinese today. Both will have their chances left for the upcoming days.

:AUS Australia has had another fabulous days with 2 more golds and a silver. If things go well, they might finish ahead of the :GBR Britons at the end of the games. Meanwhile, the :ROC Russians are likely to finish 4th with their chances left in rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, boxing and wrestling.

:CAN Canada (4-3-11 in Rio) are set on improving on their ranking in the medal table. They could finish Top 15, which was last achieved 1992 in Barcelona (7-4-7; 11th postion overall back then).

:ARG Argentina not as successful as five years ago (3-1-0 in Rio), the :KAZ Kazakh team (3-5-7 in Rio) dropping hard and also the :KEN Kenyans (4-4-0 in Rio) can't be satisfied.

4th place counter*

(29) :USA

(17) :ROC

(16) :GBR

(14) :CAN:JPN

(13) :HUN

(12) :CHN

(11) :FRA:ITA:NED:KOR

(10) :GER

(8) :MEX:ESP:TUR

(7) :BRA:UKR:UZB

(6) :AUS:COL:GEO

(5) :BEL:SRB

(4) :TPE:DEN:IRI:ISR:MGL:NOR:POL:SUI

(3) :BLR:CRO:CUB:ETH:IND:JAM:KAZ:NZL:THA

(2) :ARM:BUL:CHI:CIV:DOM:EGY:FIN:GRE:IRL:MOZ:POR:ROU:SLO:SWE and the Refugee Olympic Team 

(1) :ALB:ALG:ARG:AZE:BIH:IVB:CRC:CYP:CZE:GUA:HAI:HKG:INA:JOR:KEN:KGZ:LAT:LTU:MAS:MRI:MDA:NIG:NGR:PAN:PHI:SGP:SVK:RSA:TKM:VEN

*5th places in events that award two bronze medals; also includes QF losers in boxing and athletes in karate kumite one shy from the SF after the pool stage

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

5 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

To be fair, almost no anyone watch San Marino TV :p

talk for yourself! :p

I always watch their football teams in the european cups preliminary rounds (and the Italian Baseball league, when they reach the final series and broadcast it live)...:raspberry: