website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

It's time we start adding some more golds to the tally! Another opportunity missed because of an unnecessary mistake today in rowing LW2x. Also we're 13/25 on the road to a medal record!

Hopefully two more medals in rowing M8+ and BMX tomorrow.

After Day 6 Rio: 94/306 events, 55 NOCs with medals

After Day 6 Tokyo: 112/339 events, 66 NOCs with medals

Consistent medalling by the top guns once again. :CHN with an improvement (11-8-11 in Rio) until this point while the :USA Americans have gone down slightly (16-12-10 in Rio) due to dominating less in the pool this time.

Almost the same nations in the Top 10 now as five years ago. Only :HUN Hungary (5-1-1 in Rio) not finding themselves in that list right now. Instead we have the :FRA French in 8th (11th in Rio with 2-4-5 in medals).

:CRO Croatia now one bronze better (2-0-0 in Rio) and there's a guaranteed gold and silver coming their way tomorrow.

Alessandra Perilli wins :SMR San Marino's first ever medal!

4th place counter*

(11) :GBR 

(8) :USA 

(7) :CAN:HUN:ITA

(6) :FRA:NED

(5) :CHN:GER:MEX:ROC:KOR

(4) :GEO:TUR

(3) :BEL:JPN:SUI

(2) :AUS:BRA:DEN:ISR:NOR:POL:SLO:UKR:UZB

(1) :ALB:ARG:AZE:BLR:BIH:TPE:COL:CIV:CRO:CUB:CZE:FIN:LTU:NIG:POR:ROU:SRB:SGP:ESP:THA:VEN and the Refugee Olympic Team

*5th places in events that award two bronze medals

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

For those who don't know, Gracenote is updating its prediction table after each day. Some stuff might seem counter-intuitive like Germany up or Italy down from their day 0 prediction.

The biggest winner so far being  :USA (+13) and the biggest loosers :HUN (-7) & :NED (-6)

3 hours ago, Styrka said:

After 6 days, the results are pretty disappointing for :FRA because many expected medals were not won : VTT H & F, Triathlon H, Basketball 3x3 F, canoeing slalom, some individuals in fencing, Wiet-Henin in taekwondo...

And thanks Judo !

Above all, I feel like we didn't get any "surprising" medals, except maybe Canonne in Epée (but we were expected one of the other fencers to win it anyway). I mostly sad for our Shooting Federation that put a lot of effort these last years to improve in every disciplines, and the results are frustrating with 5 finalists but 0 podiums. :cry:

Team sports are not looking good either (except for Basketball H or Rugby F). :facepalm:

Moreover, as expected, Tennis and Swimming are two of the sports we had good results the last decade, but for these olympics, it's... well. It's the void. The federation leaders are incompetent anyway. I hope it will cause an electroshock for Paris 2024 (and I hope it will be the same for athletics or gymnastics).

So yeah, right now, not a good sign for Paris 2024. But again, it was expected, as there is almost no emulation nor budget increases to improve athlete performance.

I'm complaining, but 11 medals are still good news compared to many other countries, and I congratulate every french athletes of the team who are giving their best. :champion:

Yeah...and a lot of 4 places and qualification to the finals, but the result is very good for Paris 2024 (Muller,Gicquel/Delrue,Boukli,Milou,Héduit,Delassus,Barbellin,Humbert). 

Disappointment for Basketball W (the loss in the Eurobasket final greatly affected the mental state of the team). For Handball H, tomorrow's match againt :ESP, will be very indicative to see if we have a chance of a medal. The performance of F team does not bother me, because everyone knows how badly France starts major tournaments, which it then wins. :d 

I continue to support our athletes with the hope that they will perform much better in front of the home audience :FRA

5 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I knew Japan would over-perform as host, but 30 gold medals and potential second place in the table is vastly more than what i expected. They could very well beat China.

Tons of easy golds in fighting sports (judo & wrestling). Would like to see some day how many golds Russia could win at home (gymnastics, wrestling, boxing, judo) ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

For those who don't know, Gracenote is updating its prediction table after each day. Some stuff might seem counter-intuitive like Germany up or Italy down from their day 0 prediction.

The biggest winner so far being  :USA (+13) and the biggest loosers :HUN (-7) & :NED (-6)

36 medals would still be disappointing for Germany, but maybe it is the logical consequence of more and more countries pouring more money into sports. If you want to stay competitive, you have to do the same and allow the athletes to become pros. I would like to see what would happen if Germany would for example start paying 500k for a gold medal. I think the number of golds for Germany would increase rather quickly.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

That's too many lost medals for us, I guess Gracenote overrated us. We had 10 medal chances so far, and out of those we got 2 gold and 3 other medals. 50% success rate is about what anyone should expect, a country never turns close to 100% of its chances to a medal. And even our lost chances were close to the podium, so nobody flopped hard so far.

These are the medal chances I listed for the first six days:

men's sabre ind - gold

men's 200m fly - gold

men's epée ind - silver

men's sabre team - bronze

men's 90kg judo - bronze

men's 400m medley - 4th

women's sabre ind - 4th

women's 200m fly - 4th

women's 400m medley - 5th

men's 10m air rifle - 5th

Technically we lost one more in 200m fly, but I never double up in an event because I know how hard it is for a country to claim 2/3 of the podium, it almost never happens for us. I would say that this is fine so far, if we would have one more medal in swimming from those 4th places I wouldn't complain much. The issue is that we got a few medal chances coming up that look kinda bad at the moment. 

PROVISIONAL STANDING AFTER DAY 7

Friday 30.07.2021

Total Medal Events: 133/339

1. :CHN CHN  19 - 10 - 11

2. :JPN JPN      17 - 4 - 7

3. :USA USA  14 - 16 - 11

4. :ROC ROC 10 - 14 - 10

5. :AUS AUS      9 - 2 - 11

6. :GBR GBR        6 - 9 - 9

7. :KOR KOR        5 - 4 - 6

8. :NED NED        3 - 7 - 5

9. :FRA FRA        3 - 5 - 5