website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Country Profiles

13 hours ago, Makedonas said:

With so many Greeks in Australia, I'm surprised there aren't any Greek-Australians competing for Australia. Nick Kyrgios in tennis (who I personally dislike) withdrew from the Games. There is a water polo player named Lea Yanitsas but she is not Greek, her husband is and she uses his name.

Well I found a few from Australia.

There is a player named Dylan Pierias in men's football, also a Taylah Tsitsikronis in softball, Alexandra Aristoteli in rhythmic gymnastics, and Anthony Hrysanthos in men's water polo. I had actually heard of Hrysanthos before, I'm pretty sure he plays club water polo in Greece or at least he used to.

Also on the Italian softball team there is a Giulia Koutsoyanopulos...

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Anthony Hrysanthos in men's water polo. I had actually heard of Hrysanthos before, I'm pretty sure he plays club water polo in Greece or at least he used to.

He played for Vouliagmeni in 2018-19, if I remember correctly

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2021 at 00:51, Makedonas said:

-In 2004 (8 and 8), 2008 (2 and 2), 2012 (1 and 1) and 2016 (3 and 3), each time Greece had the same amount of men’s medals as women’s medals. It will be interesting to see if that trend will continue this time, or if one gender will do better than the other in Tokyo.

-Our long jumper Miltiadis Tentoglou was just 18 in Rio, and he was the youngest of the 103 members of the Greek Olympic team in 2016. Now he is not the youngest, but he is the only member of the Greek Olympic team that actually speaks Japanese. He claims to understand everything but says his speaking isn't perfect although he can converse in Japanese. He learned the language because he is a big fan of Japanese anime. I bet not too many countries can say they have athletes going to Tokyo who can actually speak Japanese, especially someone who is one of their biggest hopes to win gold as Tentoglou is for us.

Well...

1. So far we have 3 men's medals and 0 women's medals. I think it's not possible for the women to catch up to the men at this point. We might not even have any women's medals for the first time since 1988...

2. He did win gold! :clap:

On 21/07/2021 at 04:01, Milan said:

Perković, Joković, Buslje, Martin and the Sinković brothers are trying to win their third Olympic medal.

Damir Martin and the Sinkovic brothers have indeed won their third Olympic medal. The only other athlete who has achieved this at the Summer Olympics before was Handball goalkeeper Venio Losert. At the Winter Olympics Ivica and Janica Kostelić won six and four medals respectively.

Btw. it seems I had the wrong information about the birth year of our female boxer Nikolina Cačić. It looks like she was born in 2001 and was actually our youngest athlete in Tokyo and one of two athletes born in 2000 or later.