website statistics

Athletics EAA European Under 20 Championships 2021

Totallympics

Decent first day for Greece. 

16 year old Vasiliki Kallimogianni with a big PB and new U20NR in 3000m steeplechase. Greeks are usually very poor at middle and long distance events, so having her is a really nice surprise and she's still so young. Hoping for a new U20NR in the final. A medal seems unlikely but she'll be back in 2023 and can win a medal then.

Polyniki Emmanouilidou making the final of the women's 100m is also very good, and she got a new PB (11.55). She'll still be in this category next year so I think then she can possibly break Thanou's U20NR but we'll see.

Konstantinos Gennikis 7th in men's shot put with PB, very good for him.

Elli Deligianni now into the semifinals of the women's 800. As I said, Greece is historically poor at these distances so that's good for her and hopefully in the final she'll achieve a new PB (she was very close today) which would also be a new U20NR.

Anastasia Antonopoulou 13th in women's 10km walk. Considering she's only 16 and this was her first race back from injury, that's a pretty good result. Hope she can come back and get a medal at this event in 2023.

Women's pole vault we had our 16 year old talent Iliana Triantafyllou just miss out on the final because of countback. Disappointing but she will have other chances in the future and our 17 year old Anastasia Retsa made the final. Really nice to have all these 16 and 17 year olds doing so well at U20 this year. It's too bad the U18 championships were cancelled because I think we would've won some medals there for sure.

Disappointing that only one of our male hammer throwers made the final, considering we had four with the standard (obviously only three could compete). But I think he (Orestis Ntousakis) has a chance to win a medal.

Also very disappointing that Despina Filippidou didn't make the final in the women's discus. She threw over 55m less than two weeks ago so I thought maybe she could win a medal here. Our other girl Sofia Kessidi made the final at least.

Happy Andreas Antonakopoulos (men's long jump) and Sotiria Rapti (women's triple jump) also qualified for finals and I don't think they can get medals but would be nice if they could get new PBs. Rapti is another 17 year old.

45 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Rhasidat Adeleke :IRL continues to progress after her rare Irish U-18 Gold with a U-20 gold here.

She won gold at under 18 level in the 200m. She *should* repeat in that here in Tallinn. She probably would have won the under 23s if she was allowed enter 

I hope she lowers her won senior record too

Ntousakis 4th in the men's hammer throw :cry:, Emmanouilidou 6th in the women's 100m, and Kessidi 7th in the women's discus

Tzengko probably our only chance to win a medal at this point, unless Deligianni can sneak a medal in the women's 800m. She's already in the final. Small chances also for Chatzipourgani (women's 400m hurdles), Dragomirova (women's shot put), and Retsa (women's pole vault), though all of these girls have been disappointing in 2021 so far and not at their best.

Overall though I was only expecting 2-3 medals from this Greek team so I'm not going to be too disappointed. Plus we had a bunch of PBs and one U20NR, and I think we'll get a few more PBs and U20NRs tomorrow and Sunday.

EDIT-I forgot about Emmanouilidou in the women's 200m. I think she'll make the final and then anything is possible from there but I don't think she'll win a medal. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.