website statistics

Poll 92/100 | Which are your nation's 3 safest medal picks for Tokyo?

:GBR In no particular order: Men's Eight (Rowing), Women's Team Pursuit (Cycling) and Adam Peaty - 100m breaststroke (Swimming).

Ten others who I'm confident will medal, again in no particular order: Dina Asher-Smith 200m (Athletics), Pat McCormack - Welterweight (Boxing), Lauren Price - Middleweight (Boxing), Liam Heath - K1 200m (Canoeing), Helen Glover & Polly Swann - Women's pair (Rowing), Giles Scott - Finn class (Sailing), Men's 4x100m medley (Swimming), Jade Jones - 57kg (Taekwondo), Georgia Taylor-Brown (or either of her teammates) (Triathlon), Mixed relay (Triathlon).

10 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

:GBR In no particular order: Men's Eight (Rowing), Women's Team Pursuit (Cycling) and Adam Peaty - 100m breaststroke (Swimming).

Ten others who I'm confident will medal, again in no particular order: Dina Asher-Smith 200m (Athletics), Pat McCormack - Welterweight (Boxing), Lauren Price - Middleweight (Boxing), Liam Heath - K1 200m (Canoeing), Helen Glover & Polly Swann - Women's pair (Rowing), Giles Scott - Finn class (Sailing), Men's 4x100m medley (Swimming), Jade Jones - 57kg (Taekwondo), Georgia Taylor-Brown (or either of her teammates) (Triathlon), Mixed relay (Triathlon).

All very, very good calls - Mixed relay triathlon in particular, given recent Yee form. I'd be tempted to add Laugher & Goodfellow, 3m synchro, Duncan Scott, 200 free, mens  4x200 freestyle, mixed 4x100 medley and the women's 4 x 100m relay in athletics, Sky Brown, skateboarding, Kate French in Modern Pentathlon, Duncan Scott (again) 200 IM, Max Whitlock in pommel horse, and Laura Trott-Kenny in Omnium.

For my primary team, Ireland:wIRL: -

I think we're about to have a hell of a games, honestly (by our standards, anyway) - LM2x, W1x and W4x, Kellie Harrington, quite possibly Michaela Walsh, Rhys McClenaghan in pommel horse, all really solid medal shots, with several of the boy boxers a good shout as well. Our record for a single games is 6 medals, our gold record for a single games is 3, and they don't really count (Michelle de Bruin Smith), the record after that is 2 golds. I think those numbers,  2 golds and 6 total medals could genuinely be under threat at this games, especially if we can sneak a medal in Equestrianism or road cycling (long shots both, but both possible)....

I forsee, in particular, a couple of possibly intriguing GBR v IRL battles - Pommel, Harrington v Dubois, Possible Puspure v Thornley

20 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

All very, very good calls - Mixed relay triathlon in particular, given recent Yee form. I'd be tempted to add Laugher & Goodfellow, 3m synchro, Duncan Scott, 200 free, mens  4x200 freestyle, mixed 4x100 medley and the women's 4 x 100m relay in athletics, Sky Brown, skateboarding, Kate French in Modern Pentathlon, Duncan Scott (again) 200 IM, Max Whitlock in pommel horse, and Laura Trott-Kenny in Omnium.

I think we're about to have a hell of a games, honestly (by our standards, anyway) - LM2x, W1x and W4x, Kellie Harrington, quite possibly Michaela Walsh, Rhys McClenaghan in pommel horse, all really solid medal shots, with several of the boy boxers a good shout as well. Our record for a single games is 6 medals, our gold record for a single games is 3, and they don't really count (Michelle de Bruin Smith), the record after that is 2 golds. I think those numbers,  2 golds and 6 total medals could genuinely be under threat at this games, especially if we can sneak a medal in Equestrianism or road cycling (long shots both, but both possible)....

I forsee, in particular, a couple of possibly intriguing GBR v IRL battles - Pommel, Harrington v Dubois, Possible Puspure v Thornley

Firstly, I'd agree that potentially this could be Ireland's greatest OG, particularly as they are less dependent on boxing to achieve success this time around. Hopefully you're right about the men's pommel. We don't want a repeat of the EC for either gymnast!

I don't disagree on your other GB choices and there are others. For instance, in the women's Madison Kenny and Archibald will be closely marked like the Dutch but both pairs are so good it seems a decent bet that they'll pick up two of the medals between them.

For Germany 3 out of the following:

Dressage team

Dressage individual (Werth)

Bunch of sprint canoeing events

Eventing individual (Jung)

Swimming men’s  1500 m (Wellbrock)

Swimming 10 km (Wellbrock)

Mens javelin throw (Vetter)

Rowing men’s single sculls

Rowing men’s eight

Edit: Also women’s team sprint and women’s individual sprint (Friedrich or Hinze)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

23 hours ago, Jinzha said:

I'd say :NED has a few safe gold medal picks:

• Track cycling, men's team and individual sprint (Harry Lavreysen)
  • Field hockey, women's team
  • Sailing, RS:X men (Kiran Badloe)

Track cycling is a little hard to say because there has been so little competition, but they were far enough ahead of the rest that I'm still confident. And Lavreysen is still young.

Some options that I consider 'safe medals', but not necessarily safe gold medal picks:

• Road cycling (women's road race and time trial)
  • Mountainbiking (Mathieu van der Poel)
  • Rowing (LW2x and M4x)

Women’s field hockey? Did you watch the European championship final (where Germany was the better team)?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Firstly, I'd agree that potentially this could be Ireland's greatest OG, particularly as they are less dependent on boxing to achieve success this time around. Hopefully you're right about the men's pommel. We don't want a repeat of the EC for either gymnast!

I don't disagree on your other GB choices and there are others. For instance, in the women's Madison Kenny and Archibald will be closely marked like the Dutch but both pairs are so good it seems a decent bet that they'll pick up two of the medals between them.

I see a lot of that for GB actually - they'll be in a scrap for gold, which they might lose, but hard to see no medal at all - both Duncan Scott's events fall into that class, for example, as do both Triathlon relay, Women's Omnium, Madison and Team Pursuit (the latter maybe less of a battle)

46 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Apart from those you've mentioned, Kurt Walker in boxing, the Mens Double in rowing, the golfers and both sailing crews (We know Annalise Murphy turns up at the Olympics) are all potential medalist. Outside chances include Jack Wooley in Taekwondo, the Fletchers in Judo, rugby and hockey teams (0-0ing their way to another final), Natalya Coyle in MP and even the track cycling boys are all outside bets. It is genuinely the first time Ireland have had so many contendors

Obviously the vast majority won't medal but I do think that with average luck (ie no illness, injuries, falls or dodgy decisions), The Lightweight doubles, Puspure, Harrington and McClenaghan should medal. 

48 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Women’s field hockey? Did you watch the European championship final (where Germany was the better team)?

The game that the Netherlands won 2-0 without really trying? Yeah I watched that one...

The Dutch are by some distance the best team around. They lost in a shootout in Rio, so shocks can happen but anything other than gold for them is a shock

For :FRA , maybe...

- Our flag bearer Clarisse Agbegnenou, -63 kg in Judo, 5-times world champion.

- Mixed relay in Triathlon - I don't really know the sport, and I understand that the team's results lately weren't the best, but we are twice world champions in a row.

- Charline Picon, former olympic champion for RS:X. I read on this forum that there are 3 girls who are above the field, and Charline is one of them !

An honorable mention for our 3x3 women team in basketball.