website statistics

Poll 92/100 | Which are your nation's 3 safest medal picks for Tokyo?

I would say,

1. Mirabai Chanu (almost guaranteed silver if performs her usual)

2. 10M Air Pistol Mixed team (5/6 world cup golds, any of the two pairs, but Saurabh/Manu tops)

3. Vinesh (avoided Mayu Mukaida till final, and Pang till SF, and she is a beast).

On 15/07/2021 at 17:32, Orangehair43 said:

Not sure about the last two. Agree about Peaty. 

I think GB will win at least one medal in the women’s triathlon but not sure who or what colour.

Personally I don't think Brownlee is even the best GB chance in the event.

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

Personally I don't think Brownlee is even the best GB chance in the event.

Agree. If Yee makes the first bike group after the swim, I'd nearly have him as the slight favourite overall - and even more so if Brownlee makes the same group, because he'll insist on pushing the bike on. On current form, I'd make GBR very slight favourites for the Relay - predicting a Learmouth - Brownlee - Georgia - Yee quartet, it seems purpose built for relay - Learmouth's big swim/bike combo should hopefully blow up the pack and prevent a proper peloton forming, Brownlee's best distance is arguably sprint distance, and Yee for the finisher. For the women's event, it feels a bit like GBR v the World, the GBR team is that strong, without having one dominating Ali Brownlee style athlete. No other nation has that depth at the moment, but several have individuals who could absolutely win gold.

For Croatia I think men's pair in rowing is the only medal that can be considered safe.

For the two other most likely medal winners I will pick Sandra Perkovic and Mektic/Pavic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 09:33, thiago_simoes said:

1) Men's surfing

2) Women's skateboarding

3) And I'll be very bold here and mention women's artistic gymnastics, a discipline in which Brazil has never won a medal before. Yes, it might not make sense now, but I hope it will make sense on August 2. :d

Well, he was right :d

On 16/07/2021 at 14:15, OlympicsFan said:

No remotely knowledgeable fan who watched that game can come to the conclusion that the Netherlands are far superior to all other teams. They had home advantage at the European championships and still were the worse team in the final.

Sorry but I couldn't resist bringing this back up.  :NED in the groups; won all 5 with a GD of +16 (including 3-1 win over the superior Germans)

Won QF 3-0

Won SF 5-1

Won Final 3-1

The superior German team lost 3-0 to Argentina in the quarter final stage

On 16/07/2021 at 12:47, dodge said:

The game that the Netherlands won 2-0 without really trying? Yeah I watched that one...

The Dutch are by some distance the best team around. They lost in a shootout in Rio, so shocks can happen but anything other than gold for them is a shock

On 15/07/2021 at 09:33, thiago_simoes said:

1) Men's surfing

2) Women's skateboarding

3) And I'll be very bold here and mention women's artistic gymnastics, a discipline in which Brazil has never won a medal before. Yes, it might not make sense now, but I hope it will make sense on August 2. :d

I was looking for this. For some reason, I thought I had placed my bets on our volleyball teams and in artistic gymnastics, but I went the safest route with surfing and skateboarding, and a bold prediction in artistic gymnastics. I would never have thought, though, that it would have been a gold medal.

On 15/07/2021 at 13:36, Jinzha said:

I'd say :NED has a few safe gold medal picks:

• Track cycling, men's team and individual sprint (Harry Lavreysen)
  • Field hockey, women's team
  • Sailing, RS:X men (Kiran Badloe)

Track cycling is a little hard to say because there has been so little competition, but they were far enough ahead of the rest that I'm still confident. And Lavreysen is still young.

Some options that I consider 'safe medals', but not necessarily safe gold medal picks:

• Road cycling (women's road race and time trial)
  • Mountainbiking (Mathieu van der Poel)
  • Rowing (LW2x and M4x)

Looks like I misspelled Harrie Lavreysens name. Other than that I got 8/9 right!