website statistics

Poll 92/100 | Which are your nation's 3 safest medal picks for Tokyo?

India safest medal pick: 

1) Saikhom Mirabai Chanu - Women's Weightlifting, most likely Silver, 5% chance of Gold or Bronze

2) 10m Mixed Pistol Team 

3) Ravi Dahiya - Men's Freestyle Wrestling 57kg

Definitely no safe medals

so for the Top 10 my picks are

• Team SVK 1 in Mixed Trap
  • K4-500m M Canoe Sprint
  • Matej Beňuš in M C1 Canoe Slalom

all should finish in top 10 baring injury, covid or other disasters

-------------------------------------

:ECU

Neisy Dajomes (Weightlifting W -76kg)

J-C Castillo (Boxing M -91kg)

J-C Caicedo (Boxing M -57kg)

I'd say :NED has a few safe gold medal picks:

• Track cycling, men's team and individual sprint (Harry Lavreysen)
  • Field hockey, women's team
  • Sailing, RS:X men (Kiran Badloe)

Track cycling is a little hard to say because there has been so little competition, but they were far enough ahead of the rest that I'm still confident. And Lavreysen is still young.

Some options that I consider 'safe medals', but not necessarily safe gold medal picks:

• Road cycling (women's road race and time trial)
  • Mountainbiking (Mathieu van der Poel)
  • Rowing (LW2x and M4x)

For :IRL Ireland I think only the top one should be safe but ranking them I’d go 

1) O’Donovan/McCarthy - Lightweight double sculls - rowing

2) Sanita Puspure - single sculls - rowing

3) Kellie Harrington - 60kg - boxing 

We don't have a single safe gold medal, but we do have three relatively safe medals:

1. Sandra Sánchez - Karate (Kata) -> Gold (but it could be silver considering that her main rival is from :JPN)
  2. Damián Quintero - Karate (Kata) -> Silver or bronze (:JPN gold is clear and then :TUR or :ESP for the silver)
  3. K4 500 - Canoeing -> We should fight against Germany for the gold medal

Nothing is ever safe, but I'd go for this:

1. Women's road race --> Basically all four women have an excellent chance to win the gold. I hope it won't happen, but even a double or triple medal win is not unrealistic (although of course it's the road race, a ton can happen)

2. Women's time trial --> Basically the same sort of thing, although with Van der Breggen and Van Vleuten there's only two and there's always Dygert. I hope Dygert is all recovered and fit, in which case she's the clear favourite (but still a Dutch medal should be fairly safe).

3. Women's 1500/5000/10.000m (whichever Hassan runs) --> She's a gold medal threat in whichever event she chooses to run, and a nearly safe medal bet as well. Gold is a different thing of course, but it's hard to imagine three women beating her.

Bonus: Men's mountainbike --> A pretty open field, but a 'normal' Van der Poel really should be a nearly safe medal threat.

Forgot women's field hockey, that should be a fairly safe medal as well. Same for certain track cycling events, but there we'll have to wait and see which super round wheels the British will show up with :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nothing is ever safe, but I'd go for this:

1. Women's road race --> Basically all four women have an excellent chance to win the gold. I hope it won't happen, but even a double or triple medal win is not unrealistic (although of course it's the road race, a ton can happen)

2. Women's time trial --> Basically the same sort of thing, although with Van der Breggen and Van Vleuten there's only two and there's always Dygert. I hope Dygert is all recovered and fit, in which case she's the clear favourite (but still a Dutch medal should be fairly safe).

3. Women's 1500/5000/10.000m (whichever Hassan runs) --> She's a gold medal threat in whichever event she chooses to run, and a nearly safe medal bet as well. Gold is a different thing of course, but it's hard to imagine three women beating her.

Bonus: Men's mountainbike --> A pretty open field, but a 'normal' Van der Poel really should be a nearly safe medal threat.

Forgot women's field hockey, that should be a fairly safe medal as well. Same for certain track cycling events, but there we'll have to wait and see which super round wheels the British will show up with :p 

I'd imagine it will be French ones as usual.