website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

To me, without knowing the full details of the case…This sounds like a case where I’d imagine this rule exists, but it’s generally not enforced, or at least it’s enforced with leniency. My guess is that is that either a) this was a special case where extraordinary factors delayed the arrival of athletes (because it’s weird that athletes from three separate countries were late), and Ukraine played the technicality card, or b) athletes from various NPCs have been arriving late to the call room for various competitions without recourse, until Ukraine decided to play a technicality in their favor (which is a fair move, but perhaps a unpopular move amongst the para athletics community)

I hope World Para Athletics release a statement explaining the details of the case at some point…

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

To me, without knowing the full details of the case…This sounds like a case where I’d imagine this rule exists, but it’s generally not enforced, or at least it’s enforced with leniency. My guess is that is that either a) this was a special case where extraordinary factors delayed the arrival of athletes (because it’s weird that athletes from three separate countries were late), and Ukraine played the technicality card, or b) athletes from various NPCs have been arriving late to the call room for various competitions without recourse, until Ukraine decided to play a technicality in their favor (which is a fair move, but perhaps a unpopular move amongst the para athletics community)

I hope World Para Athletics release a statement explaining the details of the case at some point…

Absolutely. We are awaiting official statements from the International Federation. Because for now it's a guessing game. I do not know how it will end, but the fact how many hats poured out on different sports pages very clearly reminds me of the victory of Linoy Ashram

Why are the pilots constantly and nearly entirely ignored (in both live graphics and even commentary) in the blind tandem cycling? Unlike the guides in running or skiing, the pilots do actually also have a physical part in the result..

In running and skiing they are obviously crucial as well, but they don't actually deliver some of the physical energy in the performance.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Why are the pilots constantly and nearly entirely ignored (in both live graphics and even commentary) in the blind tandem cycling? Unlike the guides in running or skiing, the pilots do actually also have a physical part in the result..

In running and skiing they are obviously crucial as well, but they don't actually deliver some of the physical energy in the performance.

You cannot begin to conceive how weird paralympic tandem cycling has become.  :hyper:

In the early conception, obviously, the main athletes were the blind riders and the pilots were basically very fit club-level athletes who wouldn't get too much in the way, just like in the athletics.  However, about 15 years ago, the British & the Australians found that, because they had such strong track programmes, they could give their fourth or fifth ranked Olympic track athletes jobs as tandem pilots.  Even guys who had won Olympic medals could extend their careers in the paralympics.  At the Commonwealth Games tandem cycling became thrilling sprint duels between guys who used to race each other on the full world circuit regularly circa 2000-2008. 

But under that system, the blind people at the back - supposedly the point of the whole thing - tended to become dead weight, so we started to select people who were not simply blind but also small & physically frail, rather than actual good cyclists, thus defeating the whole point of the event. 

That’s not true in the 

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It’s weird. :IRL won gold in Rio and repeated here in Tokyo in B tandem and everywhere I’ve them listed in Ireland as Katie-George Dunleavy and Eve McCrystal. Always listed as a pair. To the point where you’d have to look up who had the disability or impairment as the names were just always listed together

Until this year on the official site and on the graphics and it’s just Katie-George Dunleavy competing. 

Ireland is still calling them by the duo names though 

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The released statement just reminding to the readers that the athletes are 'competing under protest'. No one really knows when did the Ukrainian officials protested. IIRC the website showed up the 'competing under protest' announcement in the middle of the final, which probably caused many people unaware about it.

https://www.paralympic.org/news/world-para-athletics-statement-men-s-shot-put-f20-final-tokyo-2020