website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

31 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

:JPN at the last Paralympics didn’t win a single gold despite wining 24 medals.

I was shocked when they didn't win a single gold in Rio, being the next hosts that is. I'm curious to see how they perform this time, but updating the qualification thread it seems they don't even have good representation in some sports (although the addition of Badminton should already help them in the medal table).

Prizes for brazilian medallists have been announced:

Gold: R$ 160.000 (~US$ 30.000)
Silver: R$ 64.000 (~US$ 12.000)
Bronze: R$ 32.000 (~US$ 6.000)

Athletes in teams, pairs and relays will receive half of that amount. This might not seem much, but this money could have a real impact in the life of most brazilian Paralympic athletes.

It was announced this morning that no spectators* would be allowed into the venues like at the Olympic Games. 

*The door was left open for school programs to take place, meaning that some venues might have a limited number of spectators present if/when allowed. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The IPC has put together a list of broadcasters: https://www.paralympic.org/tokyo-2020/broadcast

Also, while I’m on the topic of 2020 Paralympic Games broadcasts…

More information regarding what will be broadcast this edition has become available, or been confirmed via broadcast schedules. According to broadcast schedules for NBC and FranceTV (and a pre-Covid press release from the IPC), the following sports will be broadcast: Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Boccia, Canoe, Cycling Track, Cycling Road, Equestrian, Football 5-a-side, Goalball, Judo, Rowing, Shooting, Sitting Volleyball, Swimming, Table Tennis, Triathlon, Wheelchair Basketball, Wheelchair Rugby, and Wheelchair Tennis.

It would also appear some sports will have multiple feeds for each/some sessions; those are: Athletics (up to 3 feeds for each session, with the marathons being broadcast as well), Badminton (up to 2 feeds for each session), Judo (feeds for each tatami during the preliminary sessions), Table Tennis (up to 2 feeds for each session), Tennis (up to 2 feeds for each session). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 8/16/2021 at 6:46 PM, vinipereira said:

:BRA flagbearers have been announced: Petrúcio Ferreira (Athletics) e Evelyn Oliveira (Boccia).

The 'hero' for Thomaz de Moraes if I'm not mistaken :cheer: 

We're cheering for Thomaz here, since he's representing the Brazilian winter sports world in these Summer Paralympics, and might have a (especially for Brazil) rare chance to win a medal at the Summer and Winter Olympics consecutively!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Less than 5 days to go and I'm still waiting for the full daily schedule page :coffee:

Right!?!? :hairpull:

I’m pretty sure I’ve refreshed the website about 50 million times today :p

16 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Less than 5 days to go and I'm still waiting for the full daily schedule page :coffee:

It’s available now: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/paralympic-games/en/results/all-sports/paralympic-schedule.htm