website statistics

Covid Cases at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 12:42 PM, Makedonas said:

Never mind, everyone is now withdrawn from both the duet and team events after multiple Greek artistic swimmers tested positive despite no symptoms. I guess it was the wrong decision to bring Platanioti to Tokyo even after her two negative tests.

So sad for our girls. They only qualified because of Japan getting the host spot. I don't think we will ever get another chance :cry:

Platanioti after being quiet on social media for the past few weeks finally spoke about it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSeRY8FgiGP/

It's a long post which continues into the comments and all in Greek but basically she said that back in Greece she wasn't feeling well and got tested and both tests were negative, so they thought maybe she just had the common cold. Then she did a self test because she still wasn't feeling well and that was negative too until she did a rapid test a few hours later at a doctor's office and that was positive. This was a few days after she received her second dose of the vaccine.

She then did everything she could to recover in time for Tokyo and she had 6 negative tests (2 self and 4 PCR) before flying to Tokyo (she doesn't mention it but she stayed behind in Greece for longer while the rest of the team traveled to Tokyo because she was the only positive one). The first two days in Tokyo she had another 3 tests (all PCR), all negative. Then after 5 days of being in Tokyo with negative tests every day they learned that her and some of the other Greek teammates tested positive again. She then wanted to do another test and the Japanese refused but eventually she was allowed to do it and it was negative again. 

She also said how sad she was and how much she cried and that she worked so hard for this and was so careful the last few months to not get covid, all for nothing in the end...

There seems to be some more drama behind this because some of the other Greek artistic swimmers made long posts on Instagram and Pinelopi Karamesiou commented on Eleni Fragkaki's post saying "it would be nice to say the full truth one day" and tagged the Hellenic Olympic Committee and Hellenic Aquatics Federation, and she got 21 likes for her comment including several members of the team. Karamesiou and Georgia Vasilopoulou posted stories today walking around Tokyo so I guess they are two of the ones who tested positive too and had to stay and Tokyo and maybe now they are free to explore the city?

Also as I mentioned there was a rumour that one of the team officials was an older woman who refused to be vaccinated and people started blaming her for this outbreak. I have a feeling this is not the last we will hear of this scandal.

I am so sad for these girls.

Well while the whole world is celebrating their returning olympians and medalists NZ and Australia have 2 weeks mandatory quarantine and the first lot in NZ/Aus that competed in the first week in Tokyo will be released next Monday.

Some Australians who are in quarantine could face another 2 weeks when re-entering their home state. The state of Queensland which is home to many of the olympic swimmers and medalists face another 2 weeks in quarantine because the majority are in NSW state doing quarantine and this is the state where the major outbreaks have been happening.  Queensland have shut their state border to NSW. 

Ridiculous.