website statistics

Covid Cases at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

Which means no :IRI vs :IRI in the first round 

@MHSN

it seems the match is still on! IOC/WT wants to replace the Chilean girl with the next best athlete from Costa Rica. didn't know that's possible only 4 days before the competition

27 minutes ago, uk12points said:

:GBR Amber Hill world no.1 ranked skeet shooter has tested positive in the UK and is unable to travel to Tokyo

Sad news. Through she was quite late to be going to Japan with the Skeet being on Monday. Suprised they was no pre camp for Shooters - plenty of athletes not competing till later are already in Japan if not yet in the village. 

With how high the cases are in the UK they will be quite a few more from the UK testing positive either before departure or shortly after arrival in Japan I sadly suspect. 

She was tested several times and all were positive so no false test issues. 

I really don't understand why all teams did not arrive in Japan at least two weeks before competing and then remain in their various bubbles. So far it looks like all cases were contracted before or en route to Japan.  There are going to be cases. There were some during Euro 2020 and in some qualification events and competitors will have to live with that. Hopefully cases are kept to a minimum which to be would be 1% of competitors. But obviously some teams are NOT observing all the protocols. There will be hard luck stories but they happen in every Olympics its just this time there will be more than usual.

3 minutes ago, Oldira said:

I really don't understand why all teams did not arrive in Japan at least two weeks before competing and then remain in their various bubbles. So far it looks like all cases were contracted before or en route to Japan.  There are going to be cases. There were some during Euro 2020 and in some qualification events and competitors will have to live with that. Hopefully cases are kept to a minimum which to be would be 1% of competitors. But obviously some teams are NOT observing all the protocols. There will be hard luck stories but they happen in every Olympics its just this time there will be more than usual.

Me too. Four days before is pushing it to even fully get over the jet lag. 

I wonder how many are not there yet? It seems from the UK about half haven’t yet left the UK which is a risk with how high the UK Covid cases are. 

:HUN the coach (and brother) of Benjamin Vadnai (sailing), Jonatán Vadnai is in quarantine because he was in close contact with someone who had a positive test 

Jonatán Vadnai had negative tests and no one else who traveled him had to quarantine themselves. The organizers share very little information with the Hungarian team, the head coach of the Hungarian sailors said that the Japanese are not in control of the situation. 

It's also "special" quarantine. Which means that he can attend the trainings somehow, but only with "private transfer". 

2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Sad news. Through she was quite late to be going to Japan with the Skeet being on Monday. Suprised they was no pre camp for Shooters - plenty of athletes not competing till later are already in Japan if not yet in the village. 

With how high the cases are in the UK they will be quite a few more from the UK testing positive either before departure or shortly after arrival in Japan I sadly suspect. 

She was tested several times and all were positive so no false test issues. 

Really sad, and a relatively unheralded, but super strong medal/gold chance, so it stings, but definitely a situation you might say, look, Paris is only three years away, it's not the same wait as usual. Double pity the Commonwealth Shooting and Archery championship had to be cancelled too