website statistics

Covid Cases at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

12 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

It's being reported that the issue is more finances than anything, seems strange to only realise that less than 2 days from the OC if that is the case. I hope the athletes didn't just learn of this. It just gets worse and worse ?

17 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

Surely the IOC must have known about this for a few days being the ceremony is in less than 48 hours. 

2 minutes ago, JamDH said:

It's being reported that the issue is more finances than anything, seems strange to only realise that less than 2 days from the OC if that is the case. I hope the athletes didn't just learn of this. It just gets worse and worse ?

yes it is weird indeed, these olympic games are going to be a carnage with this covid. I'm afraid it will distort the results

8 minutes ago, JamDH said:

It's not that strange, they probably were desperately trying to find funding until the last minute but couldn't gather it.

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

yes it is weird indeed, these olympic games are going to be a carnage with this covid. I'm afraid it will distort the results

Not as much as the doping by countries like East Germany did.

The boycotts of 1980 and 1984 are still worse, but at the very least it's quite clear how the boycotts impacted the results. It will be way harder to figure out how much COVID made a difference, which countries performed badly because they lost some key athletes, and which simply had a bad Games regardless of the virus.