website statistics

Covid Cases at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

There's also a COVID case before departure to Tokyo in the :NED Gymnastics team. They're supposed to leave on sunday and every member (staff and athletes) of the team is currently quarantined.

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Two more COVID cases among the arriving teams. An athlete from :LTU and a delegation member from :ISR

This means that we are at 5 cases, we had two from :UGA and one from :SRB previously. 

It was a security guard in Our case, he and the other security guards are now in a different location in isolation, luckily they did not came in touch with anyone beside themselves so the one COVID positive gird is in the isolation with the other guards, I think that as long as the entry of delegations will be spread widely and that people will follow the guidelines it will be fine, BTW according to the media the guard was vaccinated and was tested negative on arrival 

https://www.ynet.co.il/sport/article/hywgz5h6d?utm_source=m.ynet.co.il&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

The Hungarian Olympic Committee voted in favor that every delegation member has to be vaccinated or have natural immunity from COVID. This doesn't change much as out of the 363 Hungarian delegations members only 3 aren't vaccinated or have natural immunity.

In light of recent news from Tokyo the Hungarian Olympic Committee wants to make it sure that none of us will be quarantined as they already see that a positive test or even contact with someone who had a positive test means game over, without much of chance for an appeal. It's clear that many Olympic medals can be won or lost based on which nations can protect their athletes from COVID. 

6 minutes ago, Vektor said:

The Hungarian Olympic Committee voted in favor that every delegation member has to be vaccinated or have natural immunity from COVID. This doesn't change much as out of the 363 Hungarian delegations members only 3 aren't vaccinated or have natural immunity.

In light of recent news from Tokyo the Hungarian Olympic Committee wants to make it sure that none of us will be quarantined as they already see that a positive test or even contact with someone who had a positive test means game over, without much of chance for an appeal. It's clear that many Olympic medals can be won or lost based on which nations can protect their athletes from COVID. 

The IOC should have introduced this rule months ago. 

I also kinda hope that we will boycott the opening ceremony or only send the flag bearers. It's just not the worth the risk. If the number of positive cases among arriving delegation members continues to increase, IOC should considering having a virtual Parade of Nations, we shouldn't lose athletes because of the ceremony. 

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

I also kinda hope that we will boycott the opening ceremony or only send the flag bearers. It's just not the worth the risk. If the number of positive cases among arriving delegation members continue to increase, IOC should considering having a virtual Parade of Nations, we shouldn't lose athletes because of the ceremony. 

This is also what I am concerned. Being flag bearer is kinda emotional burden for athletes. So I will not be surprised if we choose some “random” athletes to be flag bearer and all others absent.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

I also kinda hope that we will boycott the opening ceremony or only send the flag bearers. It's just not the worth the risk. If the number of positive cases among arriving delegation members continues to increase, IOC should considering having a virtual Parade of Nations, we shouldn't lose athletes because of the ceremony. 

I can see the parade of Nations being replaced with only flag bearers or even local Japanese volunteers doing the flag bearing.