website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies

So the first thing I saw after coming home from work was that amazing pictogram segment.

Now I am rewatching the first part and it feels absolutely soulless, especially since I have already seen the pictogram segment.

The flag bearers are mostly wooden and the procession looks expectedly forced. Plenty of smaller countries have one relatively successful athlete (for their standards) as a flag-bearer, who is then joined by some random swimming universality athlete, because well, they are of different gender and that makes them special. Ugh. I just can't get behind this because gender parity of flag bearers has not been lacking for a very long time now.

But most of all, the lack of crowds is making the whole thing look somber.

#banbestmen

If having two flagbearers means gender equality why USA don't have two presidents ? male and female ? and why Mr Thomas Bach doesn't give half his power to a female IOC president ? hmm ?

to me gender equality means people get credit for their quality and their achievements, not because of their gender. as simple as that.

beside those pictograms segment which was fantastic, :bowdown: to me another good thing about the ceremony was limiting delegations to just 6 officials. I really hope they continue doing that or even makes it 0. I enjoy to see the athletes, not the coaches or officials.

13 minutes ago, MHSN said:

another good thing about the ceremony was limiting delegations to just 6 officials. I really hope they continue doing that or even makes it 0. I enjoy to see the athletes, not the coaches or officials.

I agree with you.
I’d limit the count to the Chief officer for each country.

Parade focus should be athletes, period.

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, it's a global event after all. 99% of people in the world have no clue what a hafu is and they don't care about that either.

Of course with that mindset you're underestimating how many generally interested people there are educating themselves and looking up new words once they don't know something, like me. :p 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

32 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Of course with that mindset you're underestimating how many generally interested people there are educating themselves and looking up new words once they don't know something, like me. :p 

And in five weeks nobody will remember those words again :p  And we'll go back to 'Sayonara' being the most popular Japanese word globally :evil:

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

If having two flagbearers means gender equality why USA don't have two presidents ? male and female ? and why Mr Thomas Bach doesn't give half his power to a female IOC president ? hmm ?

to me gender equality means people get credit for their quality and their achievements, not because of their gender. as simple as that.

beside those pictograms segment which was fantastic, :bowdown: to me another good thing about the ceremony was limiting delegations to just 6 officials. I really hope they continue doing that or even makes it 0. I enjoy to see the athletes, not the coaches or officials.

But it isn't that simple is it. If the genders don't have equality of opportunity it becomes difficult if not impossible for the less fairly treated gender to display the "quality" and "achievements" to which you refer.