website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies

5 minutes ago, orangeman said:

My god, she's Japanese.  If you don't like the choice fine, but don't go after her ethnicity and identity.  Taking away her achievements by calling it "wokeness" is garbage.  She's the most recognizable Japanese athlete in 2021.  Sorry if she doesn't fit your outsider qualification of what that should look like, but that doesn't mean she's not worthy of recognition or of her heritage.  

Should she go play tennis for Haiti?  But then the same problem arises, she's only half Haitian (and not even born there).  I guess she should just not exist in the sporting world, then.  Otherwise it's just "Wokeness" and "diversity" instead of, you know, someone existing and being good at their sport.  

Its not worth debating with rajiv. Since I read his/her rambling posts, they denounced/insulted "Eastern Europe" (this together), Germany, Italy, and a bunch of other countries and regions. Might even be a troll.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Since when Canadians are experts on Japanese politics anyway? :p

Since never.  In my defence, I lived in Korea for 10 years and China for 4.  I've only visited Japan.  I get the xenophobia here, but I don't accept it.  And I don't accept it from anyone else. 

Just now, orangeman said:

Since never.  In my defence, I lived in Korea for 10 years and China for 4.  I've only visited Japan.  I get the xenophobia here, but I don't accept it.  And I don't accept it from anyone else. 

I'm pretty sure there is xenophobia between China, Japan & Korea over past history too. Old demons will always live on no matter what the current agendas are.

3 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

Its not worth debating with rajiv. Since I read his/her rambling posts, they denounced/insulted "Eastern Europe" (this together), Germany, Italy, and a bunch of other countries and regions. Might even be a troll.

Thank you.  I forget to look at names. I just didn't like the posts about mental illness and then this one.  There are real arguments to be made, but we don't need to do that sort of thing.  

People who criticize or are upset on N. Osaka being the person lighting the cauldron (I am not, honestly, I do not care much either) might have one legitimate point (or half-point): together with sporting merit, real or perceived media/advertisement value might have played a role in the selection, given the fact that this Olympics is being followed exclusively on television and online platforms, not personally/locally.

Predictably, there is (and will be, especially from US fake "conservatives" and their foreign imitators) a lot of culture-war whining, which I completely dismiss and disagree with.

1 minute ago, LDOG said:

The ideological shift in this forum over the last 5 years, holy crap.

Wut? 5 years ago it was overrun by far-leftists instead of the loud (but I think still in the minority) culture-warrior "right" contingent of the present day?

So the political compass swung from one end to the other?

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Nice job by the IOC to recognize the Israelis from the `72 games.  I know that's normally a hot button topic whether or not to acknowledge that moment

Ankie Spitzer, Andrey's Spitzer (Z"L) widdow,along with other widdows, were invited to the openning ceramony and later on cried, when asked about how it made her feel to hear the moment of silence the was given, one minute that has so much importents to people, the recognition is what makes the Olympic family a true family