website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies

Just to add to the cauldron lighter conversation…

I think Osaka is a fine choice, but it would have been even better is she was paired with Hideki Matsuyama. Two modern Japanese sporting icons coming together in a show of equality, resilience, and excellence. That’s just my two cents on the topic though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

First part meh,

Parade of Nations, I enjoyed, I´ll always enjoy, so sad we´ll miss one NOC this time ( :PRK )

Second part, much much better (after the speeched obviously).  The picogram sequence was great. loved it.

Cauldron lighting always with goosebumps. and honnesly if not the commentators I would not even know it was Osaka lol, sometimes I feel living under a rock lol

So the flame is on. The games started.

Good luck to all athletes and may all Totallympics users countries win medals :cheer:

and "Slovensko do toho" ! :bounce:

768196738225af77c36544d8a90a2a48.jpg

b1b51ede897ba990b2f0b94ab79e1e21.jpg

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

Cathy Freeman route. Only less organic.

The modern short-attention span generation probably doesn't even know who Freeman is. She came to the spotlight w/o the political corectness advantage and sadly because that was in the pre-social media era it's like she never existed.

I bet there are very mixed feeling in Japan about Osaka .

Sure they like having a Major winner with JAP after her name but many Japanese would not consider her really Japanese ( -I don't know how many )

But wokeness and  NBC especially   are very powerful and Diversity rules  

For me entire show was extremly boring. Only exception is pictogram sequence. 

And really dont know why they choose Osaka for flame burning. Japan have much more sport stars who deserved that honour, like Hidetoshi Nakata, Kosuke Kitajima, Koji Murofushi, Sato Takuma, Ai Sugiyama, Ryosuke Irie etc

1 minute ago, rajiv said:

I bet there are very mixed feeling in Japan about Osaka .

Sure they like having a Major winner with JAP after her name but many Japanese would not consider her really Japanese ( -I don't know how many )

But wokeness and  NBC especially   are very powerful and Diversity rules  

My god, she's Japanese.  If you don't like the choice fine, but don't go after her ethnicity and identity.  Taking away her achievements by calling it "wokeness" is garbage.  She's the most recognizable Japanese athlete in 2021.  Sorry if she doesn't fit your outsider qualification of what that should look like, but that doesn't mean she's not worthy of recognition or of her heritage.  

Should she go play tennis for Haiti?  But then the same problem arises, she's only half Haitian (and not even born there).  I guess she should just not exist in the sporting world, then.  Otherwise it's just "Wokeness" and "diversity" instead of, you know, someone existing and being good at their sport.  

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Just to add to the cauldron lighter conversation…

I think Osaka is a fine choice, but it would have been even better is she was paired with Hideki Matsuyama. Two modern Japanese sporting icons coming together in a show of equality, resilience, and excellence. That’s just my two cents on the topic though.

Even equality has it's borders. Osaka is the undisputed money girl of the global sport like tennis. No offense to Matsuyama but USA has enough own top golfers not to give a damn about him. Whereas Osaka covers both the US & Asian market. She's a marketing man's dream. And she's also a woman which negates the alleged sexist masculine advantage. She checks off every single liberal, political, BLM or what have you box. All this 21 years after Cathy Freeman lighting the caludron and she's barely even remembered these days. Watch Ashleigh Barty light the cauldron in Brisbane 2032 :p

5 minutes ago, NikolaB said:

For me entire show was extremly boring. Only exception is pictogram sequence. 

And really dont know why they choose Osaka for flame burning. Japan have much more sport stars who deserved that honour, like Hidetoshi Nakata, Kosuke Kitajima, Koji Murofushi, Sato Takuma, Ai Sugiyama, Ryosuke Irie etc

Now here's something I can agree with because it's not based on identity politics.