website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies

On 14/07/2021 at 08:11, dcro said:

The new oath sounds godawful. I will mute it.

Oaths are usually things that go in on one side and leave on the other side immediately anyway, mute or not :p 

Often it's all kinds of musical and cultural stuff and then all of a sudden apparently the oaths are done and 'oh, that was it'. #TeamParadeOfNations :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oaths are usually things that go in on one side and leave on the other side immediately anyway, mute or not :p 

Often it's all kinds of musical and cultural stuff and then all of a sudden apparently the oaths are done and 'oh, that was it'. #TeamParadeOfNations :cheer: 

Well, I remember muting Bach's speech in Pyeongchang, so I am building on it... :yikes::whistle:

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, I remember muting Bach's speech in Pyeongchang, so I am building on it... :yikes::whistle:

I keep the sound on because then I know when I have to get back from taking something to drink, some snacks and such :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

A ceremony tidbit: Parade of nations expected to begin at 8:30 local time (so half hour into ceremony) and run for 2 hours

and also a small reminder. IOC implemented the rule that the Refugee Olympic Team will always enter as 2nd delegation right after Greece.

and according new IOC invention also the last 3 countries are predetermined. USA and France in this order as next Olympics hosts will walk right before Japan.

9 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Hm, so this OC will have one of the shortest artistic sections? I rewatched all the recent Summer OCs and I think only Athens started the Parade of Nations half an hour into the ceremony. 

costs reduction strategy maybe ? also PyeongChang 2018 OC was very short

I mean, I am not against having a shorter artistic section, for example I rewatched Sydney 2000 and I know many people loved it, but it went on for sooo long. The only issue is that Rio already had a shorter artistic section than Beijing and London, but the ceremony was still really long because for some reason the arriving athletes had a slow pace and PoN was longer than usual, and then the speeches were long as fuck... and then they had one more additional speech with that new IOC award. Make the entire ceremony shorter if they want to save costs, not just the one interesting part, otherwise you are watching a 4 hours long show with about 40 minutes of unique, interesting content. 

We don't have any sneak peek yet but the ceremony is already 'lit'

The new committee for opening ceremony are dominated by male (looks like the gender equality doesn't work in this part) and one of them boasted about bullying a disabled classmate a few years back :crazy: