website statistics

Athletics EAA Under 23 European Championships 2021

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

European U23 Championships to start tomorrow in Tallinn https://liveresults.european-athletics.com/en/results/athletics/daily-schedule-date=2021-07-08.htm?fbclid=IwAR3jduByIADOfq8wyATX1uYASPiYifkglea23e9kj5HVfw1U33nw0d_1b74

20 :SVK athletes (including both 4x400 relays) travelled to Estonia, among them 2 Tokyo Olympians, our biggest chances for Finals (Top 8) at this tournament. Emma Zapletalová and Gabika Gajanová.

211403582_1955905854563858_6700296712744

Zapletalová advance from heats with some unprecedented energy saving mode in the last 100m :yes Femke Bol skipping this competition open the doors for some really interesting result, even if this is just a warm up for the Olympics semifinal dream for Emma

British have a big team, but no Olympic double-ups. Anyone who is dual-qualified is going to Tokyo. We’ve even had some late withdrawals to fill up the Olympic relay squads.  There’s a bit of a philosophical difference, I’ve noticed - East European athletes often warm up for a major by doing a full event at a minor like the U-23s or Universiade.

For the Dutch there's actually five soon-to-be Olympians in the squad. Jorinde van Klinken (Discus and shot put), Zoë Sedney (100mH) and Ramsey Angela (400mH) should be contenders for gold in this age group. I'm less familiar with the chances of Diane van Es (5000m) and Jessica Schildér (shot put) and the other Dutch athletes. Some of them have won medals in U20 tournaments before, so I expect there's still medal contenders among them.

Greta Karinauskaitė is the first Lithuanian to be proud of today :clap:

Ran close to her PB in the 3000m Steeplechase and looked like a pretty comfortable final, so perhaps more to come?

If not this year, she is born in 2001, so she'll have another go. 

Greeks doing pretty well so far. We got two girls into the high jump final, two boys into the pole vault final (including Karalis who won silver in 2019 and is going to Tokyo), two boys into the hammer throw final (including Frantzeskakis who is going to Tokyo), a girl in the triple jump final, a boy in the shot put final, and we also have a boy who advanced to the 400m semifinals with a new PB.

Tonight I think we have a chance to win our first medal. Mouzenidis in the shot put final has the 4th highest SB of all competitors in the final. He's won three medals before (gold at 2016 European U18, bronze at 2017 European U20 and bronze at 2018 World U20) so clearly he knows how to do it in big finals.

BRONZE FOR MOUZENIDIS! A good start for Greece already.

19.41 isn’t that impressive (his PB and SB are 19.92) but still nice to be on the podium. This is now his fourth medal in a big competition (U18/U20/U23) but I expect more from him going forward. He needs to improve a lot the next few years if he wants to make it to Paris. I know he had injuries which stalled his progress, but I still expected him to do better the last few years. Perhaps my expectations were too high…