website statistics

Rowing FISA Under 23 World Championships 2021

Totallympics

Four medals for Greece (same amount as 2019) :GRE

I'm pretty happy with this overall I must say. The Road to Paris is off to a good start.

Gold in M2X and LM1X, silver in LW1X and bronze in W2X.

Our M2X were very impressive. Stergiakas to come back to the national team after three years and win gold in the same event he won gold in 2018 as a 19 year old, and Palaiopanos who usually competes in sweeping events and won several medals in that (including bronze M2- in 2019), now doing it in sculls too.

LM1X was also very impressive. I thought Niels Torre from Italy would win gold so it was a nice surprise for Papakonstantinou to beat him. I expected a medal from him but not gold.

LW1X was a little disappointing because I thought Anastasiadou would become the 4th Greek to win gold in that event at the U23 level. However silver is still a great result and she was the youngest athlete in the final. Four of the other girls in the final will be too old for U23 next year, including the two other medalists. And the German girl only has one more year. Anastasiadou has three more years in U23.

W2X was sad because our girls were leading the whole way, but overall this was a nice surprise that they even won a medal because they are so young and one of them isn't very tall and usually does lightweight events, and both are just 18 years old.

Germany won 8 medals, GB and the US won 4 medals, Switzerland/Netherlands/Italy won 3 medals, Greece/Poland/Turkey/Croatia won 2 medals and Lithuania/Canada/Ireland/Romania/Czech Republic/France/Belgium/Bulgaria/Denmark/South Africa won 1 medal.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, dodge said:

Ireland won 2 medals, not 1

Obviously I was only counting Olympic events. Did Ireland win 2 medals in Olympic events?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Of course I'm going to say this because Greece won gold in LM1X and silver in LW1X, but honestly those events are really tough at the U23 category compared to even some of the Olympic events. For example LW1X is much more competitive than LW2X...