website statistics

Poll 83/100 | Are you satisfied with your Olympic Team?

Poll 83/100  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your Olympic Team?

• Yes
    • No

1. Table tennis men's team

Jasmina Milovanovic in shooting, have not heard of her before, Nina Radovanovic in boxing (for me surprise, did not know she has enough high ranking)

2. where to start

the most hurt men's volleyball, we definitely belong there but qualification system is unfair ?

1. The two male swimmers Srihari Nataraj and Sajan Prakash who created history after becoming the first Indian swimmers to breach the 'A' qualifying mark and qualifying to the Olympics on merit. Another could be Pranati Nayak who qualified in Artistic Gymnastics on basis of bronze in 2019 Asian Championships as the Asian qualifiers were cancelled

• Obviously table tennis men's team not qualifying. They were ranked 8th and 5th seeds going into the team qualification tournament but played below par. Also the women's team lost 2-3 to Romania which was a close encounter
  • Srikanth Kidambi and Saina Nehwal in badminton
  • Women's 4x400 m relay team. They were in top 16 till the very end of qualifying date but finished in 17th and just 0.02 seconds short
  • Women's Archery team. Goofed up in both qualifying tournaments

main poll...

Yes, in terms of the number of qualified athletes, who are way more than expected...

Not so much, in terms of who actually did get a spot in a few events...

side polls...

A - men's basketball team for sure...I think nobody expected us to win the qualification tournament in Belgrade against Serbia...

B - it should be quite a long list, but just to make it simple, women's waterpolo and men's football in team sports, men's full squad in archery, second quota in men's Trap (shotgun shooting), men's C1 in slalom canoeing, men's boxing (in full) among the individual sports...

1. Who were the most unexpected Qualifiers(Team/Individual) from your nation? 

Women's football and men's 3x3

2.Which athletes/teams '  not qualifying  from your nation hurt you the most? 

Jemyma Betrian in Boxing; she was injured during the OQT in Londen 2020, she did not get the chance to qualify in 2021, while she was number 5 in the world. Unbelievably unfair. Also beachvolleyball-team Varenhorst/Van der Velde, because of an injury of Van der Velde during the OQT last week. 

Because more favored athletes flubbed, but Anna Cockrell W 400 H and Katie Grimes 800 FS. Isaiah Jewett 800m (see below)    

Donovan Brazier, 800 m, without question the most shocking.  Then Regan Smith in 200 back, Simone Manuel in 100 Free.  Not qualifying at all: Mens's 3x3  Also, not qualifying 5 boats in mens rowing, while US women were 7 for 7.  Also Womens' Field Hockey, given the promise they showed in 2016.     

I don't think any of these have chances for medals in Tokyo, but it's nice for them to be there:

1-Artistic swimming (team) We knew the duet would qualify but if you asked me after Rio, I wouldn't have expected this. Though they improved a lot and have a very young team, plus the increased quotas and host quota for Japan (who would've qualified anyways) I guess helped a lot.

2-Evangelia Psarra (archery) She was there at the last five consecutive Olympics but didn't expect it this time around. She won't win a medal but it's a nice story for her at 47 years old to keep making it to the Olympics, now her sixth time.

3-Emilia Tsoulfa (sailing) She is 48 years old and retired after winning gold in Athens 2004. She didn't win the quota but beat the other Greek sailors in the national trials to take their spot.

4-Fani Tzeli (taekwondo) She is only 19 years old and I thought Tokyo would be too early for her, but she beat a Rio 2016 medalist in the qualifying tournament which surprised me. She also won bronze at the 2018 Youth Olympics but I didn't expect her to do this well this early in her career.

Too many to list...

1-Eleni Chatziliadou (karate) 2018 World Championships gold medalist

2-Apostolos Telikostoglou (taekwondo) 2019 World Championships silver medalist

3-Men's basketball team (though throughout the last few months it became expected as everyone kept getting injured so in the end it wasn't a huge shock, though we did expect to beat the Czechs once we beat Turkey)

4-Women's water polo team (This time we probably didn't expect to qualify unlike 2012 and 2016, but it still hurt a lot especially not knowing if we'd take South Africa's place until two weeks ago)

5-Elina Tzengko (javelin throw) 2018 YOG gold medalist. She's only 18 but last year she threw 63.96 and with the standard being 64m, I thought for sure she'd make it and keep improving and probably make the final in Tokyo too. However this year she has been mediocre and didn't improve like I expected her to. She's 35 in Road to Tokyo so I doubt there will be three withdrawals.

6-Sofia Asoumanaki/Aikaterini Nikolaidou (rowing) They got 4th in Rio in the women's double sculls where they were the youngest team in the event (19 and 23) but unfortunately both have had a lot of injury problems, plus even if Nikolaidou was healthy in time for Tokyo she said she would try to qualify in the lightweight double sculls anyways.

7-Alexandros Tsanikidis (boxing) Chatziliadou's boyfriend. He is our best boxer and was one win away from Tokyo but then the remainder of the Olympic qualifying tournament got postponed and he got injured and was unable to compete when it resumed this year.

8-Rhythmic gymnastics (our first time since 1984 not being represented in the sport. In Rio we had both individual and team, as we usually do, and to get no one this time is sad especially since we even won a medal in Sydney 2000 with our ensemble group)

9-Efthimios Mitas (shooting) He is probably our best skeet shooter but didn't qualify which is disappointing because he had some good World Cup results and a national record in this Olympic cycle but couldn't deliver at the qualifying events.

Brazil will send its biggest team ever to an edition of the Olympics not staged in Brazil. But literally the only sports I care are artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics, so I'm kind of disappointed that our women's team failed to qualify. Still, 12 gymnasts is a very good number and I can't complain much.

Most surprising qualifiers: men's handball team. This is weird because they were supposed to qualify easily at the Pan Am Games, but they failed to qualify after Chile played a great match. It was highly improbable for Brazil to even have another chance of qualifying, but after a combination of results from continental qualifiers around the world, Brazil was allowed to play the Olympic qualifier and they managed to qualify in the end.

Most disappointing non-qualifier: women's basketball team. They should have qualified easily, but failed miserably. Actually, Brazil didn't qualify in basketball in any way, and this might be the first time in a long, long time we won't send a basketball team to the Olympics. Such a shame.

Vidya Toyyiba (shooting) - basically I did not know anything about her and suddenly she qualified

Ketut Agus Aditya Putra (surfing) - he's so close to qualify... (he's now an alternate athlete, though)

Doesn't guarantee they will qualify but the women's archery team defeat after that 4-0 lead against Mexico in OQT really hurts