website statistics

Poll 83/100 | Are you satisfied with your Olympic Team?

Poll 83/100  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your Olympic Team?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

The one you unexpected is the one hurt us most at home.

I know how basketball is popular in China. some of our star players used to play in China (Haddadi still does) and they always complain that they are "more famous" in China than their own country :d

well sports are not necessarily fair. we had our best ever team in 2011, they were dominating Asian teams at the time but had just one bad match against Jordan (and Jordan had a dream day from 3pts line) which helped China to qualify eventually. I guess 2020 was our turn to get lucky in this sport. the way China lost to Poland was kind of a miracle.

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I know how basketball is popular in China. some of our star players used to play in China (Haddadi still does) and they always complain that they are "more famous" in China than their own country :d

well sports are not necessarily fair. we had our best ever team in 2011, they were dominating Asian teams at the time but had just one bad match against Jordan (and Jordan had a dream day from 3pts line) which helped China to qualify eventually. I guess 2020 was our turn to get lucky in this sport. the way China lost to Poland was kind of a miracle.

That game vs Poland is definitely the darkest moment for Chinese basketball in my whole life.:facepalm:

apart from not having any weightlifters which's not our choice ofc , i'm satisfied

•  the most surprising qualified athlete for me is Amira Kandil in Modern Pentathlon and maybe Ahmed Hamed as well , if Olympics was last year he wouldn't have been there for sure and Bassant Hemeida in women's 200m if anyone told me that there'll be an Egyptian athlete that win medals in African games and qualify to WCH in this event i'd have told him that he's crazy we're very far already in men's side in these fast running events so what about women , i guess she made a huge achievement already with very low resources 

1. the most disappointing team or individual not qualified : again Weightlifting team that was a great disappointment especially for Mohamed Ehab who was a victim to those amateurs running the sport in Egypt , Afaf el Hodhod in women's 10m pistol is another great disappointment , she was 5th in the 1st WC stage in 2019 in India only a rank could have sent her to Tokyo directly , but then just cuz her mother requested for an obvious plan for preparing for the games she was suspended by our federation and was even banned to enter the African qualifications which was really easy for her to win the quota for Egypt , we lost a big talent in shooting a sport where we have never won an Olympic Medal , Yasmin Attia in women's Karate -55 kg was another disappointment for me , for team events our field hockey team the source of big disappointment always and our men's volleyball team when u lose to your rivalry Tunisia 3-0 in Egypt it does hurt , but as long as we got our revenge fastly in handball and in tunisia as well 

44 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Side Poll 

1. Who were the most unexpected Qualifiers(Team/Individual) from your nation? 

2.Which athletes/teams '  not qualifying  from your nation hurt you the most? 

1. Polina Trifonova in table tennis

2. Men's volleyball team after a 2:3 defeat by Brazil at home during the Olympic qualifier. They were leading 2:0 and allowed a complete comeback by the Brazilians

No taekwondo professional with two of our men being the first outside the qualifiers 

Tsvetana Pironkova in tennis, despite playing at level well above her current ranking

Mitko Tsenov and Georgi Tsonov in athletics, both fractionally outside the list of qualifiers

Francisco Gaviño (equestrian - eventing), Alberto Ginés (climbing) and the WAG team.

I had high hopes to qualify on women football for the first time ever. Furthermore, we were very close in basketball 3x3 W, which would have been nice additions to the team. In individual sports I would say the archery team with Alvariño and Acha, Sara Álvarez in judo (she had a knee injury when she was fighting for the continental quota) and Yulen Pereira in fencing.

Team - I think all 8 teams that qualified were expected to qualify, except men's rugby sevens. They only lucked out because the USA qualified earlier. Individually, Mandy Bujold, I had 0 faith in our her CAS battle. Good for her to go and win. 

-Men's beach volleyball

-Men's basketball

-Men's baseball

-Men's football (this one hurt, as the team was very good)

-Women's field hockey (last couple of years the team has risen nicely, only to lose on PK's to go to the Olympics)

-Archery men's team. Very good in 2019, and then one member took of 2020 because of covid and they never really recovered.

-Adam Keenan in men's hammer. One spot from qualifying, and a tripartie spot "stole" his spot. Why couldn't the IAAF make him run the 100? :P

-Mixed relay, Women's 4x100 and possibly men's 4x400 relay all were really screwed with covid.

-Derek Drouin's comeback attempt falling short.

-Jeremy Chartier in trampoline losing out because he couldn't attend the Pan Ams due to Covid. Also because Egypt was given a free quota for the first time ever.

-Men's 3m sprinboard synchro due to an injury to Philip Gagne. If he was able to compete, a full diving team likely would have qualified. 

-Equestrian team jumping, cleared of doping, but still lost the team quota.

-Fencing epee loss in the last match at Pan Am qualifiers

-Missed out in qualifying a second male and fifth female in artistic gymnastics due to covid 19 pull out

-Losing 2 quotas in judo because of covid19/injury and a third due to pregnancy (which also cost an opportunity to compete in the team event)

-Melissa Bratic in Karate, one match from qualifying. Hayaa Jumaa, surviving a severe accident to missing out by a match too.

-

Men's epee team, the last stage of unlimited calculating of scores and unexpected drama continuously happened. Our savior turned out to be Estonia who chose to attend but got eliminated at the first round.

Men's basketball for their unexpected loss and Men's water polo for FINA irresponsible cancelation of Asian qualifier.

Maybe men's football(yeah, we're world champions,but not on youth level) and women's table tennis team(uhm :d)

Women's football team, men's field hockey/water polo teams(all matches were lost with the difference of 1 goal:(:cry:). And men's rugby, but in this matche we didn't have any chances against :IRL .