website statistics

European Games 2019

uk12points

36 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, I think the European Championship model (bunch of sports all occurring at the same time) is more likely to be successful.

But they can’t just shut non-major sports out if they want it to be successful. It shouldn’t just be a gymnastics, cycling, athletics, swimming competition. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'm only interested in gymnastics events, of course, but I'm still baffled at the choices of the medal events. Only mixed pairs and women's group in acrobatic gymnastics? Why? Synchronized trampoline? A mixed group event in aerobic gymnastics, but no individual men's and women's events? Insane.

Artistic and rhythmic gymnastics are not much better, either. One gymnast per nation, six nations in finals. This is just ridiculous. I like the idea of giving a bigger opportunity for smaller nations to get medals, but seriously, at least leave eight gymnasts in finals. I can't forget how dreadful it was to see Iridon from Romania winning a medal on the uneven bars after a fall. She's terrible on this apparatus, so how the hell did she win a medal? Even I can't get too excited about this event, honestly.

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

I'm only interested in gymnastics events, of course, but I'm still baffled at the choices of the medal events. Only mixed pairs and women's group in acrobatic gymnastics? Why? Synchronized trampoline? A mixed group event in aerobic gymnastics, but no individual men's and women's events? Insane.

Artistic and rhythmic gymnastics are not much better, either. One gymnast per nation, six nations in finals. This is just ridiculous. I like the idea of giving a bigger opportunity for smaller nations to get medals, but seriously, at least leave eight gymnasts in finals. I can't forget how dreadful it was to see Iridon from Romania winning a medal on the uneven bars after a fall. She's terrible on this apparatus, so how the hell did she win a medal? Even I can't get too excited about this event, honestly.

The events are the same as the last games. The quotas were reduced. Countries can have 2 gymnasts per gender in artistic. The acrobatic program does suck, but aerobic makes sense. They don’t even have individual aerobic at the World Games anymore, and I’m fine without the useless Trio event. I’m cool with synchronized trampoline, I just wished they would’ve added tumbling.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well based off the countries that have announced teams, it does appear we will see quite a few elite athletes here.

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

But they can’t just shut non-major sports out if they want it to be successful. It shouldn’t just be a gymnastics, cycling, athletics, swimming competition. 

Oh yes, they can. :p

#banbestmen

38 minutes ago, dcro said:

Oh yes, they can. :p

Ok, I’ll rephrase that, they shouldn’t and fans shouldn’t be ok with it.

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, they can. 

Edit: dcro was first :d

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yes, they can. 

Edit: dcro was first :d

The ability of you two to be on the same thought is really amazing.

Edited by Olympian1010