website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Apparently, this is what she broke on both sides...the scaphoid bone? I didn't even know there were 10+ single tiny bones in that small part of the hand alone :hairpull: 

Kahnbein gebrochen: Kann man trotzdem weiter Rad fahren? - DER SPIEGEL

According to Swiss media, she wanted to jump on some piece of equipment, but fell backwards.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, that post ended a lot less bad than I expected it when reading the first words :yikes: 

Good thing Solden is weeks before the season 'really' kicks off, plenty of time to recover...hopefully she'll be fit on time to enter the season full-force at least before February!

Ya, Alpine Skiing has the strangest "opening" event of almost any sport. It feels almost more like a per-season meet than a real world cup race xD

Probably the least bad time to pick up an injury.

26 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Apparently the FIS is thinking of having world championships in all non-Olympic years, having A and B races for the downhill at the world cup level (limiting the A race to 24 skiers) and getting rid of both the combined and the Super-G.

Nothing new then.

FIS is nuts. The only federation that is consistently planning to kill off their fully recognized Olympic events. Not to replace them, to kill them. :crazy:

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Nothing new then.

FIS is nuts. The only federation that is consistently planning to kill off their fully recognized Olympic events. Not to replace them, to kill them. :crazy:

Especially dumb considering the Super-G is consistently one of the best event.

It doesn't matter Super G is exciting. The schedule has favored the technical skiers for years. Super G is back to pariah status? They need to get rid of this to put more of these parallel city events IMO. I feel like I might not watch alpine skiing in 5-10 years time if the schedule will be 50% parallel slaloms and three downhills per season. Not to mention parallel events where one course is clearly better than the other and you can guess the winner before the start already.

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

Apparently the FIS is thinking of having world championships in all non-Olympic years, having A and B races for the downhill at the world cup level (limiting the A race to 24 skiers) and getting rid of both the combined and the Super-G.

I feel like these stories come back every year and usually don't actually happen, so I'm still holding out hope :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently, this is what she broke on both sides...the scaphoid bone? I didn't even know there were 10+ single tiny bones in that small part of the hand alone :hairpull:

According to Swiss media, she wanted to jump on some piece of equipment, but fell backwards.

It takes a lot of effort to break a bone that small. Apparently, it was unlucky.