website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

3 hours ago, Dolby said:

Just to clarify even if Thailand lifters are allowed to compete, they have already missed the qualification second period and are hence ineligible to qualify for Olympics. 

If I remember well, Thailand announced some time ago that they won't be sending lifters to Tokyo anyway

Just now, AlFHg said:

If I remember well, Thailand announced some time ago that they won't be sending lifters to Tokyo anyway

Yeah they also said they are not going to participate in competition till Tokyo. But now they are asking for a concession for their youngsters.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really know why are they trying to keep weightlifting into the Olympic program at any cost...

it's time to get rid of those cheaters...and keep them away until there's even only 1 convicted doper in any single national federation's board (and of course in the IWF's board, too)...:evil:

On 10/11/2019 at 21:27, phelps said:

I don't really know why are they trying to keep weightlifting into the Olympic program at any cost...

it's time to get rid of those cheaters...and keep them away until there's even only 1 convicted doper in any single national federation's board (and of course in the IWF's board, too)...:evil:

They seem to try more than many other sports to fight against doping, yet one doesn't hear calls for those other sports to be kicked out..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, one of the main reasons why weightlifting is still on the program is the great lengths they are going to fight doping

Plus, boxing so far down a hole right now. If it doesn’t lose core sport status after 2020, I’m going to lose it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

with IWF uploading all results from the 2nd window, they removed all those weightlifters without a result in 2nd window from their ranking list. making it shorter and a bit more understandable !

https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/

this is the first time they are trying a new system, while the whole system is "bad" in my opinion (mostly for forcing athletes to participate in too many events) but I see a loophole here . for being eligible in each weight you need "2 results" in that specific weight.  again you need 6 results in total but 4 of them will be counted. which means you can have "Zero" score twice without losing anything.

now take a look at 109 and +109 ranking, Arkadiusz Michalski (who is a 109kg) is now 8th at 109kg but 6th at +109kg !!! why ? because the level of +109kg is lower in general this year , and why he is even listed in the Super heavy weight? because once he registered for that in an event and didn't lift a thing. if he does that again for a second time, he will be eligible to qualify in this weight, and you can see he has a better chance to qualify at +109kg !!!

that was just an example, Michalski most probably will qualify at his own weight of 109kg. but let's say he finishes 10th at the end and fails but still remains in top 8 at +109kg !! of course he has no chance for medal there but still participating at the Olympics is better than "not participating at all" ! if he takes that chance that will be unfair for the next +109kg guy in the ranking. this is a possible scenario. I see some other athletes in the same situation in other weights. they can qualify for the Olympics without doing anything in that specific event.

Edited by MHSN

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.lequipe.fr/Halterophilie/Actualites/Halterophilie-l-egypte-privee-de-jo-2020-a-tokyo/1086688

:EGY Suspended for Tokyo 2020

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) confirmed Wednesday the suspension for two years of the Egyptian Weightlifting Federation because of several cases of doping.

Edited by Benolympique