website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

9 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Why 3? If I understand correctly, with 10-19 doping cases, a country can qualify a total of 2 men (+2 women) ?

Anyway I counted and, as you said, KAZ, BLR, RUS, AZE, ARM will have 20+ cases including retests, while BUL, ROU, UZB, ALB, UKR, IND, IRI, MDA, TUR will have 10-19 cases.

The article says each country can qualify 1 per gender and then 2 more with 10-19 doping cases . means 3+3, for Iran just 3 :(

Edit

OMG ! I made a mistake. you are right. we can't qualify more than 2. that's much worse.  :facepalm::facepalm: I could live with 3 but now just 2 ??!!! I wonder if IWF counted those numbers before making the rules. why 10 ? and not 12 for example ? I wonder if it had something to do with our federation not backing Ajan during the IWF election and trying to support his rival. :cry:

Edited by MHSN

5 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

The article says each country can qualify 1 per gender and then 2 more with 10-19 doping cases . means 3+3, for Iran just 3 :(

Edit

OMG ! I made a mistake. you are right. we can't qualify more than 2. that's much worse.  :facepalm::facepalm: I could live with 3 but now just 2 ??!!! I wonder if IWF counted those numbers before making the rules. why 10 ? and not 12 for example ? I wonder if it had something to do with our federation not backing Ajan during the IWF election and trying to support his rival. :cry:

I think that 10 and 20 have been chosen because they are "round" digits, it shouldn't have anything to do with politics (at least for that)...

choosing "strange" intervals, like every 11 or 14 or 19 positive tests, for instance, it would have been a lot more suspect in terms of hitting someone in particular, in my opinion...

but who knows? maybe they really made a simulation before deciding those parameters...we will never know "the real truth", I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

I've read it but it seems that they are just confusing the reduction of quota to 2 weightlifters (for countries with 20 doping cases from 2008) with the possible ban (for countries with 3 doping cases during the qualification period).

2 ore fa, Dunadan ha scritto:

I've read it but it seems that they are just confusing the reduction of quota to 2 weightlifters (for countries with 20 doping cases from 2008) with the possible ban (for countries with 3 doping cases during the qualification period).

I though the same, to be honest... 

On the other side, however, it is too different to be confused

On 4/5/2018 at 09:55, Dunadan said:

Why 3? If I understand correctly, with 10-19 doping cases, a country can qualify a total of 2 men (+2 women) ?

Anyway I counted and, as you said, KAZ, BLR, RUS, AZE, ARM will have 20+ cases including retests, while BUL, ROU, UZB, ALB, UKR, IND, IRI, MDA, TUR will have 10-19 cases.

Inside The Games are reporting Thailand and Egypt will be added to the nations on 10-19 cases once they finish investigations on positive tests from 2016 and 2017

This is good news I guess for clean countries.

Canada has four relatively good (and young) weightlifters that are gradually improving, 2 of each gender.

If all those countries were allowed to compete, its unlikely that Canada would have qualified more than 2 lifters.

Edited by intoronto

Might be a good news for Indonesia, if the federation know what to do and gets support from the government.

While 2017 WC was a good opportunity to win some titles and prepare for Asian Games, our lifters can't get enough funding to go to Anaheim :(