website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

Honestly this sport does not deserve to be Olympic. I watched it few times and it is so boring. I think there are anyway too many combat sports at olympics and Taekwondo and Judo and even boxing are much more interesting. 

2 hours ago, Sindo said:

It's a shame Karate has been removed from 2024 Olympic programme, their federation job would deserve an Olympic spot. I don't even want to think about how difficoult will be to follow Breakdancing qualification :facepalm:

not a problem for me...

I'm not gonna follow anything related to breakdance in any case and for all the money in the world...:p

8 hours ago, phelps said:

not a problem for me...

I'm not gonna follow anything related to breakdance in any case and for all the money in the world...:p

For a million dollars per year would even follow goat herding ?

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

26 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

apparently premier league in Rabat will be cancelled as moroccan Government took a decision of banning any sporting or cultural events due to spread of Corona virus  

apparently there were serious rumors about it during the last K1 event in Austria. but it seems almost a done deal now. if WKF won't replace it with any other event. the following athletes are already qualified, of course I assumed the European Championships is still on

:BRA Vinicius Figueira

:UKR Stanislav Horuna

:IRI Sajjad Ganjzadeh

:CRO Ivan Kvesic

:IRI Sara Bahmanyar

:TPE Wen Tzu-Yun

:TUR Merva Coban

:SRB Jovana Prekovic

16 minutes ago, Laraja said:

I have a question

If at the end of the qualification period, an athlete with continental place guaranteed, is automatically qualified to the olympics, even before the final tournament in Paris?

No. maybe except those from Oceania and Africa because they are first in the line.

they will award the continental quotas after the Paris tournament. that's very important . it's possible that some of those guys in the list qualify directly that can change few other things.

for example New Zealand is guaranteed a quota in women's Kata but what if that girl qualifies in Paris ? I think the Oceania quota goes to some Australian girl at 61kg. and if something like that happens to the African quota too. then two available 61kg quotas are already filled before checking other continental quotas. which leaves no chance for Asian, American and European girls to qualify in that weight.

Edited by MHSN

Announcement from WKF, replied by Brazilian Karate Federation

Dear National Federations,

We would like to inform you about the major updates in light of the ongoing developments around coronavirus and the challenges related to the last qualifying events for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

The WKF Executive Committee has approved the following measures, with the objective to give athletes best chances for Tokyo 2020 in the current situation, always in full and strict compliance with the health and safety regulations of the host country in order to safeguard all our athletes and delegations members.

Madrid Premier League (PL) will be the substitution event of the cancelled PL in Rabat (for the Olympic Standing)

Following indications of the national authorities in Spain, the event will be held behind closed doors. In case the situation evolves and does not allow for the event to finally take place, in this case, Salzburg would remain as the last PL event counting for the Olympic Standing. This alternative has been approved by the IOC. A special registration phase will be put in place (details to follow in separate email).

European Senior Championships in Baku

We are in close contact with the Azerbaijan NF to evaluate any eventual restrictions or special measures taken in the country, although we have no relevant indications as yet. Until now, there are general temperature checks upon arrival in the airport, but no further restrictions have been officially communicated. There are less than 3 weeks left for the event, however should the event finally not go ahead, last year’s European Senior Championships points earned in 2019 in Guadalajara, Spain, would be the ones counting and therefore remain unchanged in the Olympic Standing (instead of being substituted with this year’s event in Baku).

Qualification Tournament (QT) in Paris

The event will be held behind closed doors to comply with existing measures put in place by the authorities. Registration will be extended for the QT in order to give some additional time to NFs after the PL in Madrid, in line with the above-mentioned changes.

The WKF remains fully committed to the last stages of qualification towards Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games with careful consideration of the well-being of its athletes and delegations.

Regards,

Antonio Espinós

President WKF

I think that's a bad news for the Iranian team, because the Madrid event is listed for 17-19 April. Iranian team is already in Europe for a month, they can't spend another month there. first because our federation most probably can't afford that financially, and second because from what I see most of them prefer to come back home and be with their families.

and even if they come back to Iran, it's almost impossible for them to return to Europe. and i imagine some of them may have to come back AGAIN in May for the final QT in France. :(

and there is no guarantee for these events to actually take place, imagine if they spend another month in Europe only to find out Spain cancelled the event in last minutes ! :d

Italy decided to stay home and not to take part into the upcoming European championships...

They also asked to postpone the event, however they won't fly to Baku in any case in the next month (at least), until the Country is closed down for Coronavirus...