website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

This is the list of remaining ranking events before the deadline, always possible for WKF to add more events or change something but it seems this is the final list.

Premiere League / 4-6 October / :RUS Moscow

Premiere League / 29 Nov - 1 Dec / :ESP Madrid

-----------------------------------------------

Serie A / 10-12 January / :CHI Santiago

Premiere League / 24-26 January / :FRA Paris

African Championship / 7-9 February / :MAR Tangier

Premiere League / 14-16 February / :UAE Dubai

Premiere League / 28 Feb - 1 Mar / :AUT Salzburg

Premiere League / 13-15 March / :MAR Rabat

European Championship / 25-29 March / :AZE Baku

* Other continental champs will be held after 6 April and won't affect the ranking.

• 4 weeks later...

Qualified countries per new WKF Olympic ranking on 1 November

Men

Kata:    :ESP:TUR:VEN:ITA  :EGY

67kg:   :KAZ:ITA:FRA:EGY  :UZB:LAT

75kg:   :IRI:AZE:ITA:UKR  :AUS:EGY

+75kg: :TUR:IRI:GER:CRO  :USA

Women

Kata:    :ESP:ITA:HKG:USA  :NZL

55kg:   :TUR:UKR:TPE:IRI  :BRA

61kg:   :CHN:EGY:SRB:TUR  :MAR:PER

+61kg: :AZE:SUI:GRE:IRI  :CHN:ITA

Some major changes in continental qualifiers, and I'm sure we will see more in future. if it was today Thomas Scott could be the unluckiest ! he is 6th in the ranking (5th if we don't count Japan) and only 90pts behind Horuna of UKR, and despite winning the Pan-Am Games , still he can't qualify because first 2 continents will grab 2 available quota places in this weight. but still lots of things can change in future.

almost the same goes to Alipour from Iran at 61kg, she is 5th in WR but still can't grab the Asian quota. Grande (Peru) winning the American quota is almost a sure thing, so if Alipour can't get in to top 4, her only chance is one of those Egyptian girls surpassing Morocco in the ranking which is very possible.

and the European quota for women is also very close. Semeraro (ITA) and Plank (AUT) are both on 6th place, Italy has more points.

Kalnins of Latvia put himself in a good position to qualify, he is now better than Gurbanli (AZE) but he has to pray for Kvesic and Horuna to qualify directly.

• 1 month later...

Olympic Qualification through OQR and Continental Spots Simulation, situation after the end of the 2019 season...

Men
Kata:    :ESP:TUR:VEN:ITA + :MAR
67kg:   :KAZ:ITA:FRA:EGY + :UZB:LAT
75kg:   :IRI:ITA:AZE:USA + :AUS:EGY
+75kg: :TUR:IRI:GER:CRO + :USA

Women
Kata:    :ESP:ITA:HKG:USA + :NZL
55kg:   :TUR:UKR:TPE:IRI + :EGY:BRA
61kg:   :CHN:EGY:SRB:TUR + :PER:IRI
+61kg: :AZE:SUI:GRE:IRI + :ITA

not many changes following the last big event of the year, the K1PL final stage in Madrid...

the most notable changes are: :USA Thomas Scott replacing :UKR Stanislav Horuna in the top 4 of the men's -75kg and :CHN Gong Li losing her continental spot in the women's +61kg in favour of :IRI Rozita Alipour in the women's -61kg...

another change concerns :MAR Morocco switching their Continental spots from women's -61kg to men's Kata...

that place going to :AUS Australia (and it's a 99.9 safe place until the end of the OQP) has really an enormous influence over the whole Continental Spots distribution...:hairpull::facepalm:

in addition to the previous simulation, we can also add that the spots for men's Kata, men's +75kg, women's +61kg and women's Kata should go to the Tripartite Commission Invited Nations...

according to the rule stating that only the top 50 in the world ranking can be considered for an invitation and to the list of Nations that can apply for those places, at the moment we only have the following Nations in good position in those 4 categories:

men's +75kg: :MKD:KOS (they have 2 fighters in the same position -21st- in 2 different classes merged for Olympic purpose, men's -84kg and men's +84kg becoming the Olympic men's +75kg class)

men's Kata: :KUW:BOT

women's +61kg: :MNE:KOS

women's Kata: :MNE:MKD

Edited by phelps

@phelps I think the Egyptian girl at 55kg being ranked 12th has the priority over Morocco on 13th place. that will change few other things, the Asian continental goes to Alipour of Iran and I think Morocco in men's Kata will take the African 3rd quota.

and you had a mistake here, if the 3rd African quota goes to a female, the 3rd American quota has to go to a male athlete. in that case Brazil can't get that. even though since Morocco in men's Kata will get that, it still goes to Brazil

but this is just for now and there will be lots of changes in future. :d specially after the continental Champs of Africa and Europa. because this time some athletes will lose points.

---------------------

even though I'm still not 100% sure about the continental quota and how they are going to deal with it.

check this, page 23

https://www.wkf.net/pdf/rules/Ranking_Regulations.pdf

To determine between the highest-ranked Kumite gold medallist and the highest-ranked Kata gold medallist, the points obtained in the Standing will not be used as criteria for resolution.The following criteria is to be applied:

what does that mean ? how they determine the highest rank athlete from each continent ? just by comparing their ranks ? or comparing their points ?

7 hours ago, MHSN said:

@phelps I think the Egyptian girl at 55kg being ranked 12th has the priority over Morocco on 13th place. that will change few other things, the Asian continental goes to Alipour of Iran and I think Morocco in men's Kata will take the African 3rd quota.

and you had a mistake here, if the 3rd African quota goes to a female, the 3rd American quota has to go to a male athlete. in that case Brazil can't get that. even though since Morocco in men's Kata will get that, it still goes to Brazil

but this is just for now and there will be lots of changes in future. :d specially after the continental Champs of Africa and Europa. because this time some athletes will lose points.

---------------------

even though I'm still not 100% sure about the continental quota and how they are going to deal with it.

check this, page 23

https://www.wkf.net/pdf/rules/Ranking_Regulations.pdf

what does that mean ? how they determine the highest rank athlete from each continent ? just by comparing their ranks ? or comparing their points ?

yes, you're right...

I've checked it out and I found out the subsequential changes (not as many as I thought initially, however)...

now it should be all fixed...

for what concerns the other question, it's explained in the following page...first they look at their position in the OQR in the various classes (which remains the main criteria), then the tie breaking criteria for athletes in the same position in different classes will be a) the final placing at the 2018 world champs in their respective event, b) the best final placing at their respective continental championship and so on, as indicated at page #24 of the qualification rulebook (even if at the end of the chapter, they say that basically only the point a) is for every continent, meanwhile those who didn't use the continental Games as a qualification event, they'll go down to the OQR)...

the usual WKF mess! :facepalm:

Edited by phelps

59 minutes ago, Jose Luis said:

How do you determine the best ranking of different weights of kumite a continental? What is the best position or have more points?

it's always the best position in the OQR...

but there are some rules to follow (for Europe and the Americas you have to consider the European Games and Panamerican Games champions only, there's an order to follow to pick the quota -you can find it in a post at page #8 of this thread- there's a quota limit of 2 per class and among the continental spots, a single Country can add max 1 male and 1 female quota)...

then, in case of a tie, there are some tie-breaking criteria (you can find them on the .pdf document attached in the previous posts)...

as we wrote before, it's always a mess...

Edited by phelps

4 hours ago, phelps said:

for what concerns the other question, it's explained in the following page...first they look at their position in the OQR in the various classes (which remains the main criteria), then the tie breaking criteria for athletes in the same position in different classes will be a) the final placing at the 2018 world champs in their respective event, b) the best final placing at their respective continental championship and so on, as indicated at page #24 of the qualification rulebook (even if at the end of the chapter, they say that basically only the point a) is for every continent, meanwhile those who didn't use the continental Games as a qualification event, they'll go down to the OQR)...

the usual WKF mess! :facepalm:

not that I question what you are saying which makes sense but I just can't see that line in the document, :dunno:

I know you are most probably right but I just want some kind of confirmation

28 minutes ago, MHSN said:

not that I question what you are saying which makes sense but I just can't see that line in the document, :dunno:

I know you are most probably right but I just want some kind of confirmation

it's the whole point #8 of the .pdf file (pages 23 and 24)...

first they say: "When Continental Games (CG) are used for qualification, all gold medalists in the CG will be first considered. The quota will be allocated to the highest ranked gold medalist in the Olympic Standing as long as there is still an available place in their corresponding Olympic category, always respecting the maximum of one representative per NOC, per category."

then: "To determine (here I'm pretty sure they have forgotten to write the word: priority) between the highest-ranked Kumite gold medallist and the highest-ranked Kata gold medallist, the points obtained in the Standing will not be used as criteria for resolution. The following criteria is to be applied: and here they start with the WKF rules we reported earlier).

Finally, they further mess things up with this. "When the CG are not used for qualification, a sequence of selection processes take place, continent by continent, and qualification is determined based on the Olympic Standing of the athletes from the applicable continent".

obviously, this is just my interpretation...and trust me, I can't really intend them in a different way than I wrote in today's posts...but I'm absolutely not sure at 100%, I fear that, if they want, there's always a chance to have a different interpretation of those "obscure" lines...:facepalm:

we'll see (hoping that at the end of the OQP there are no controversial situations and everything's gonna flow "naturally")...:fingers:

Edited by phelps

10 hours ago, phelps said:

it's the whole point #8 of the .pdf file (pages 23 and 24)...

first they say: "When Continental Games (CG) are used for qualification, all gold medalists in the CG will be first considered. The quota will be allocated to the highest ranked gold medalist in the Olympic Standing as long as there is still an available place in their corresponding Olympic category, always respecting the maximum of one representative per NOC, per category."

then: "To determine (here I'm pretty sure they have forgotten to write the word: priority) between the highest-ranked Kumite gold medallist and the highest-ranked Kata gold medallist, the points obtained in the Standing will not be used as criteria for resolution. The following criteria is to be applied: and here they start with the WKF rules we reported earlier).

Finally, they further mess things up with this. "When the CG are not used for qualification, a sequence of selection processes take place, continent by continent, and qualification is determined based on the Olympic Standing of the athletes from the applicable continent".

obviously, this is just my interpretation...and trust me, I can't really intend them in a different way than I wrote in today's posts...but I'm absolutely not sure at 100%, I fear that, if they want, there's always a chance to have a different interpretation of those "obscure" lines...:facepalm:

we'll see (hoping that at the end of the OQP there are no controversial situations and everything's gonna flow "naturally")...:fingers:

that was my point, how they are going to determine the "highest ranked " !?

but what you explained here is the only thing makes sense here, because it will be a mess if they want to compare all Asian Kata and Kumittee athletes !? rank in the category should be #1 but there are room for other interpretations

btw I think it's just not fair to compare ranks in those categories, if you see men's 75kg and women's 61kg are the first categories to have 2. simply because they are just one weight classes unlike others. for example Rank 20th at 50kg will be something like 40th in combined 50/55 ranking.