website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

WKF announced the new ranking VERY fast right after the Paris K1 event. I was taking a look at the ranking and the following athletes are 100% qualified. I mean even mathematically. I considered the fact that 2019 European Champs results will be replaced by 2020 edition.

Men's Kata

:ESP Damian Quintero

:TUR Ali Sofuoglu

Men's 75kg

:IRI Bahman Askari

Men's +75kg

:TUR Ugur Aktas

:IRI Sajjad Ganjzadeh or Zabihollah Poursheib

Women's Kata

:ESP Sandra Sanchez

Women's 55kg

:TUR Serap Ozcelik

:UKR Anzhelika Terliuga

Women's 61kg

:CHN Yin Xiaoyan

* Viviana Bottaro and Irina Zaretska are also very very close but still mathematically possible to not qualify.

9 hours ago, MHSN said:

WKF announced the new ranking VERY fast right after the Paris K1 event. I was taking a look at the ranking and the following athletes are 100% qualified. I mean even mathematically. I considered the fact that 2019 European Champs results will be replaced by 2020 edition.

Men's Kata

:ESP Damian Quintero

:TUR Ali Sofuoglu

Men's 75kg

:IRI Bahman Askari

Men's +75kg

:TUR Ugur Aktas

:IRI Sajjad Ganjzadeh or Zabihollah Poursheib

Women's Kata

:ESP Sandra Sanchez

Women's 55kg

:TUR Serap Ozcelik

:UKR Anzhelika Terliuga

Women's 61kg

:CHN Yin Xiaoyan

* Viviana Bottaro and Irina Zaretska are also very very close but still mathematically possible to not qualify.

please, can you also give a look at the Continental places?

I feel there could be some major changes in that department...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

please, can you also give a look at the Continental places?

I feel there could be some major changes in that department...

I was reading the document again and something else caught my attention, the order is 1) Olympic ranking, 2) qualification tournament in Paris and 3) continental places !! maybe it means everybody has to participate at the qualification tournament and the continental place will be available after that. meaning some of these athletes may qualify through the Paris tournament !! that doesn't make sense but this is how they wrote the document :wacko: but not considering that , this is how the qualification looks like

Men

Kata:    :ESP:TUR:VEN:ITA  :MAR

67kg:   :KAZ:FRA:TUR:EGY  :ITA

75kg:   :IRI:ITA:AZE:USA  :AUS:EGY

+75kg: :TUR:IRI:GER:CRO  :USA:KAZ

Women

Kata:    :ESP:ITA:HKG:USA  :NZL

55kg:   :TUR:UKR:TPE:IRI  :EGY:BRA

61kg:   :CHN:EGY:TUR:SRB  :PER:IRI

+61kg: :AZE:IRI:SUI:GRE  :ITA

56 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I was reading the document again and something else caught my attention, the order is 1) Olympic ranking, 2) qualification tournament in Paris and 3) continental places !! maybe it means everybody has to participate at the qualification tournament and the continental place will be available after that. meaning some of these athletes may qualify through the Paris tournament !! that doesn't make sense but this is how they wrote the document :wacko: but not considering that , this is how the qualification looks like

Men

Kata:    :ESP:TUR:VEN:ITA  :MAR

67kg:   :KAZ:FRA:TUR:EGY  :ITA

75kg:   :IRI:ITA:AZE:USA  :AUS:EGY

+75kg: :TUR:IRI:GER:CRO  :USA:KAZ

Women

Kata:    :ESP:ITA:HKG:USA  :NZL

55kg:   :TUR:UKR:TPE:IRI  :EGY:BRA

61kg:   :CHN:EGY:TUR:SRB  :PER:IRI

+61kg: :AZE:IRI:SUI:GRE  :ITA

yes, that's interesting...

and I wonder how we always missed out on that particular point before today?

however, it's still a good thing to take notice of the "virtual" Continental qualifiers because if those athletes (or someone else from the same Country) don't get the spot through the final tournament, we already know who's in pole position to get this last chance place...

and as I expected, now Italy have the repechage spot thanks to Maresca instead of the direct qualification spot of Crescenzo in the men's kumite -67kg...

good to see that we can still keep our 5 virtual places (like Turkey and Iran), the most of the entire field of candidates...

also surprising to see Iran with 3 women's virtual spots and only 2 among the men...:yikes:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

yes, that's interesting...

and I wonder how we always missed out on that particular point before today?

however, it's still a good thing to take notice of the "virtual" Continental qualifiers because if those athletes (or someone else from the same Country) don't get the spot through the final tournament, we already know who's in pole position to get this last chance place...

and as I expected, now Italy have the repechage spot thanks to Maresca instead of the direct qualification spot of Crescenzo in the men's kumite -67kg...

good to see that we can still keep our 5 virtual places (like Turkey and Iran), the most of the entire field of candidates...

also surprising to see Iran with 3 women's virtual spots and only 2 among the men...:yikes:

Yeah I just noticed that today, even though it probably won't change much for those athletes in the list, they will qualify most probably even if they fail in Paris but I think athletes from Europe and Asia should be more careful because they are last in line of the continents. it's possible to see some of these "already qualified" athletes getting the quota in Paris and that changes few things in term of quota availability in some weight classes.

yeah of course surprising, before the start of the qualification period I would be happy with 1 quota. now they have a chance for all 3 Kumite quotas. that's quite an achievement, Iranian girls are very new to international Karate. they were allowed to participate in Asian events since 2010 and in WKF events since 2014 ! that's quite a progress in just 6 years. :yes

on other hand it's disappointing how come they simply gave up 67kg quota. they had a chance for the "Asian spot" but some of our better guys in the ranking are not even participating and they only focused to prepare Amir Mehdizadeh who is suppose to be our guy for the Paris qualifier.

btw I think between Creszenzo and Maresca it's not that bad to give the spot to Maresca, after all it will be 67kg at the Olympics. not 60kg. Creszenzo not qualifying directly isn't really a bad news for you guys. (of course only if Maresca takes his place as European quota)

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

@MHSN any chance for any Canadians to qualify?

from the World ranking obviously only Haya Jumaa has a chance, she is 6th right now, she is currently 900pts behind Prekovic and 1500 behind Coban, still very possible to surpass one of them to qualify. even though you can reduce 1000pts from Coban and 330 from Prekovic. which makes it much closer. those points from 2019 Euro wlil be replaced by 2020 Euro. of course Coban can win the gold medal once again to defend her points. but as of now if we reduce those points, Jumaa is something like 600pts behind them. with 3 events left that's still very possible but she needs big results.

none of the Canadians won gold at the Pan American Games, so no chance for the continental quota. so the Paris qualifier will be the last chance.

1 hour ago, Laraja said:

And the japanese athletes, Is there anyone already qualified?

Because they also need to be the best japanese athletes in each ranking, right?

I heard that too but there is nothing like that in the official document

https://www.wkf.net/imagenes/campeonatos/olympicsestadisticas-olympic-karate-tokyo-2020-001.pdf

I assume it's up to Japan to send whoever they want.