website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

24 minutes ago, ATHENS 1896 said:

That is exactly the concern : earning  the Olympic qualification. SA players have not swim a single meter to earn it.

True, but it's easy to forget that Olympics have never been about "best x athletes". Universality is equally important, and that mostly means continental representation at any cost.

#banbestmen

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That would be sad. Do all those boats with 2 and 4 people and lighter people and whatnot have that much more meaning than the flagship of rowing?

That’s the only reason I’d personally like preserve the eights. At some point though, we have to move from an essentially dead event.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That would be sad. Do all those boats with 2 and 4 people and lighter people and whatnot have that much more meaning than the flagship of rowing?

For a flagship event eights is doing horrible. I mean look at the boat list at the 2019 World Championships. I can't name an Olympic event with such low participation at the World Championship level. Especially among the men. This was also a good year, it's not too uncommon to see single digit participation.

Again I know the history of the event, but if cuts are going to be made it's not exactly hard to see why this would be an attractive option.

11 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

For a flagship event eights is doing horrible. I mean look at the boat list at the 2019 World Championships. I can't name an Olympic event with such low participation at the World Championship level. Especially among the men. This was also a good year, it's not too uncommon to see single digit participation.

Again I know the history of the event, but if cuts are going to be made it's not exactly hard to see why this would be an attractive option.

it all started when they established the rules about the Olympic participation...

now there are too few available spots (so to make it impossible for the 2nd and 3rd tier Nations to beat the powehouses for those very few spots) and above all, the rule stating that the Olympic qualification can be earned by an athlete only on a single discipline has killed the main event like no other...

because of that, now you necessarily have to choose if you want to build decent boats in 2- and 4- or the Eights (meanwhile before that wasn't the case, as it was quite common to see crews doubling up 2- or 4- and Eights, especially among the women)...

nowadays this is basically not even an option...reducing even more the chances for those Nations not having a super deep Rowing program and leaving the Eights events as the Garden of Eden of those said powehouses, who can afford to choose their rosters from 40/50 athletes almost all of the same level...

so, to tell the truth, it's the Olympics that hurt Rowing (and especially their Flagship event)...not Rowing losing appeal and not deserving their main race being part of the Olympic program anymore...:evil:

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing Field Hockey, Diving, Golf, and Rowing kicked off the program, but it wouldn’t be wise. Just like how kicking the new sports off the program wouldn’t be wise.

not kickin' them out right now (which in any case it would be more than wise, imho)...

if they were "serious", they would have never even thought to add them...it's quite different...

p.s. we already wrote quite a few pages about this matter in the recent past...so, you know what I think about those "artistic activities" and why I don't consider them true sports and why I don't like them to be part of the Olympic schedule...;)

I would like to see the number of Olympic events drastically cut

My wishful thinking goes like this :

Every country can nominate which events they desire to have.

All events which have 10% of all countries (that's currently 21) are considered for final inclusion 

The 300 events - summer and winter - which have the support of  countries with the most Olympic medals  vote are  Olympic events

This means that getting the support of high medalling countries is crucial but you require at least 21 of them

Yes this system will be political,tactical with trades but it is also transparent

You will probably have demonstration events/sports  which the host wants but couldn't manage enough votes

7 hours ago, rajiv said:

All events which have 10% of all countries (that's currently 21) are considered for final inclusion 

The 300 events - summer and winter - which have the support of  countries with the most Olympic medals  vote are  Olympic events

This means that getting the support of high medalling countries is crucial but you require at least 21 of them

Yes this system will be political,tactical with trades but it is also transparent

You will probably have demonstration events/sports  which the host wants but couldn't manage enough votes

Might be the worst proposal I’ve ever read (no offense). This would actually destroy the Olympics, unlike adding some new age sports.

Also, way more than 21 nations should be competing in a summer sport to make it Olympic. I’d say it should be damn near 50% of the world (at least), to be considered Olympic.

The Olympics should honestly have more sports/events.

Im not even going to address your elitist attitude on how sports should be “voted in” (because that’s not an actual vote then)

There would never be an Olympics because no one would agree to add anything.

I like the current system of the hosts being allowed to add a few sports they want to.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Only athletics and football would pass a 50% approval of all nations  requirement .That's a bit too small an Olympics

Many events now -particularly the majority of winter events.- would have a big problem finding 21 supportive nations

Just go thu all the sports - while more than 21 countries  may well seek to participate only a minority actually care much about the sport

Countries I know have little interest in most of the program.Even a major player like Australia -where I've lived has zero intetest in combative sports.

India has zero interst in water based sports 

19 hours ago, rajiv said:

Sorry but this is a horrible idea. 

Well I know people here are by definition Olympics enthusiasts.but what I see in both western and non western countries is a diminishing interest in the Olympics 

They are too big ,have too many obscure events ( double luge anyone ? ) and there are just too many international games so that they have become nothing special.

I have been in Australia whete the World Athletics Champs and World Aquatic Champs are no longer televised because of lack of interest

Too many drug cheats and so many events dominated by kids who are the product of sporting concentration type camps doesn't help

The IOC trying to be "relevant " may well be the death knell of the movement 

Time to slim down