website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's actually 10,500 athletes. They also want 310 events, but I doubt that will be the case. I don't see where they will cut 29 events...

Let’s just cut Athletics, that frees up events and quotas :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

if they were anything close to a "serious" institution, the IOC would have never included in the Olympic schedule that sh*t named Freestyle BMX, Skateboarding, Breakdance (from 2024), Trampolin Gymnastics or Surfing and they would also have already got rid of the absolutely not trustable Weightlifting and Boxing...:pope:

and suddenly here you have your 400+ quotas and 30+ events cut...:evil:

simple as it looks...

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, phelps said:

if they were anything close to a "serious" institution, the IOC would have never included in the Olympic schedule that sh*t named Freestyle BMX, Skateboarding, Breakdance (from 2024), Trampolin Gymnastics or Surfing and they would also have already got rid of the absolutely not trustable Weightlifting and Boxing...:pope:

and suddenly here you have your 400+ quotas and 30+ events cut...:evil:

simple as it looks...

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing Field Hockey, Diving, Golf, and Rowing kicked off the program, but it wouldn’t be wise. Just like how kicking the new sports off the program wouldn’t be wise.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

hace 4 minutos, Olympian1010 dijo:

Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing Field Hockey, Diving, Golf, and Rowing kicked off the program, but it wouldn’t be wise. Just like how kicking the new sports off the program wouldn’t be wise.

I could understand why you want to get rid of field hockey and golf (even though I think both sports deserve to be at the Olympics). But, why do you want to kick diving and rowing? You are the first person I know that complains about Olympic rowing. :lol:

Just now, Cobi said:

I could understand why you want to get rid of field hockey and golf (even though I think both sports deserve to be at the Olympics). But, why do you want to kick diving and rowing? You are the first person I know that complains about Olympic rowing. :lol:

I'm fine with rowing in general, but coxed eights have very few nations competing and it has a lot of athlete quotas so I can see it being axed one day.

Yes I know the history and prestige of the event, but why should it be an Olympic event if no one is practicing it.

9 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Because apparently we can just rant about kicking sports we don’t find particularly excising or worthy out of the Olympics :dunno:

I do actually like Rowing, I was just making a point there :yes

Tokyo 2020 could be the last time we see eights in the Olympics. That would be an easy way to cut quotas, and @JoshMartini007 made a good argument for it.

6 hours ago, dcro said:

I just can't understand how people expect to have everyone from the big six at the Olympics (even Greece). Just like that.

Whatever happened to actually earning your Olympic qualification...? Like I said, even with 10 teams, women's water polo has it easier than most other team sports.

That is exactly the concern : earning  the Olympic qualification. SA players have not swim a single meter to earn it.

hace 19 minutos, JoshMartini007 dijo:

I'm fine with rowing in general, but coxed eights have very few nations competing and it has a lot of athlete quotas so I can see it being axed one day.

Yes I know the history and prestige of the event, but why should it be an Olympic event if no one is practicing it.

I am in favour of eliminating eights (and lightweight boats) to save a few quotas and introduce coastal rowing for example.

In Spain, our federation created an eight in 2014 with the best rowers we had at that moment (sacrificing a four that could have tried to qualify to Rio) and the distance with the rowing powerhouses was insane. Obviously, this boat was eliminated in 2016. I think it is impossible for the rest of the world to reduce the distance with bigger countries.

32 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That would be sad. Do all those boats with 2 and 4 people and lighter people and whatnot have that much more meaning than the flagship of rowing?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!