website statistics

Women's Water Polo Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I just can't understand how people expect to have everyone from the big six at the Olympics (even Greece). Just like that.

Whatever happened to actually earning your Olympic qualification...? Like I said, even with 10 teams, women's water polo has it easier than most other team sports.

Men's water polo isn't any different. Hungary, Serbia, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and Greece all have a really easy time to qualify because the rest of the European nations have no chance whatsoever to beat them. And they still have 12 teams at the Olympics. 

Edited by Vektor

And let's not forget: at least in women's water polo we don't need a miracle for a non-European medalist team, because the US and Australia can beat any European team. The women's tournament feels like an international competition, not just the tournament of Ex-Yugo, Mediterranean countries, plus Hungary. 

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Men's water polo isn't any different. Hungary, Serbia, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and Greece all have a really easy time to qualify because the rest of the European nations have no chance whatsoever to beat them. And they still have 12 teams at the Olympics. 

Croatia lost to both Germany and Romania at the 2012 Europeans, before becoming Olympic champions that same year. When was the last time France or Germany defeated anyone of the "big" six?

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, Vektor said:

And let's not forget: at least in women's water polo we don't need a miracle for a non-European medalist team, because the US and Australia can beat any European team. The women's tournament feels like an international competition, not just the tournament of Ex-Yugo, Mediterranean countries, plus Hungary. 

Which is all the more reason for embracing continental representation tbh. :p

There will be 1 out-of-place contitnent in the women's tournament, while there will be 2-3 in the men's.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Croatia lost to both Germany and Romania at the 2012 Europeans, before becoming Olympic champions that same year. When was the last time France or Germany defeated anyone of the "big" six?

That was 8 years ago and we all know how some countries don't take the ECh seriously before the Olympics if they have already qualified. And sadly, I don't see any signs that the lesser European nations are getting any better in men's water polo. 

Yeah, the men have similar strength issues as to the women (stronger Ex-Yugo, weaker non-European teams)

The difference is that there is a drop between the top women and the rest. After the top 10 the next strongest women's team is France? Kazakhstan? New Zealand? none of them are likely to prevent someone in the top 10 from qualifying to the Olympics (except Kazakhstan > China). On the men's side Russia/Romania/Germany all have a chance at eliminating a top European team.

Basically I feel both events should have the same number of teams because at the top level they are relatively comparable.

Edited by JoshMartini007

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

For the most part, they are earning their Olympic qualification, not their fault other nations can't beat them. Though I agree and do wish FINA would force an African and Oceania championship though.

Most people have accepted that team sports should have 12 entrants and for good reason. If an event can't muster 12 entrants, should it be part of the Olympics? I don't think so (this goes for all Olympic events). It's not like this event is the only one with a shallow talent pool. It's also helpful that the 10 teams all have a chance for a medal (Canada and China less so) so there is a bit of an unpredictability factor.

If I had to kick a team sport from the Olympics, Water Polo is first up. Apart from being one of the “harder” sports to understand (though I’ve heard that’s changed recently), there’s such a huge lack of diversity. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

If I had to kick a team sport from the Olympics, Water Polo is first up. Apart from being one of the “harder” sports to understand (though I’ve heard that’s changed recently), there’s such a huge lack of diversity. 

Yeah water polo would likely be one of the first sports to go (outside of sports being banned due to scandals). They are lucky other team sports have the same (and more) issue

8 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Just drop the bullshit baseball tournament (not the softball) and we have quota to spare for 2 teams...

That won't do it. It has to come from the core sports. We all know FINA has a lot of sway (they were able to get most events on the program), so water polo will not be going anywhere anytime soon. However, 2024 is a goal for complete gender equality, so something has to give. We have to get 12 teams for the women by then.