website statistics

Sprint Canoeing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

hckošice

Hi

Admittedly I am lost with this reallocation system but Hungarian media wrote this yesterday about Dora Lucz (k-1 200):

https://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeni/20190824-kajak-kenu-vb-szeged-lucz-dora-olimpiai-kvota.html (in Hungarian)

Basically, they qoute the national team coach, Csaba Huettner, who says that in reallocations the 2- and 4- boats and longer distances are prioritised and to his knowledge there will be no reallocation this time in favour of K-1 200 competitors (Lucz in this case)

He adds that in his estimation they might be about 10 reallocations in women's kayak (the whole quali not only the Szeged Wch) so there might be ample opportunity for Lucz to qualify later. 

7 minutes ago, dharang said:

Hi

Admittedly I am lost with this reallocation system but Hungarian media wrote this yesterday about Dora Lucz (k-1 200):

https://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeni/20190824-kajak-kenu-vb-szeged-lucz-dora-olimpiai-kvota.html (in Hungarian)

Basically, they qoute the national team coach, Csaba Huettner, who says that in reallocations the 2- and 4- boats and longer distances are prioritised and to his knowledge there will be no reallocation this time in favour of K-1 200 competitors (Lucz in this case)

He adds that in his estimation they might be about 10 reallocations in women's kayak (the whole quali not only the Szeged Wch) so there might be ample opportunity for Lucz to qualify later. 

I am not sure if Hüttner knows about the K1 200/500 rule. The system is a mess, and even today the Hungarian commentator was talking about that Lucz can get a quota with the reallocation. We really need an official confirmation from ICF. 

23 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I am not sure if Hüttner knows about the K1 200/500 rule. The system is a mess, and even today the Hungarian commentator was talking about that Lucz can get a quota with the reallocation. We really need an official confirmation from ICF. 

That's often the thing that athletes or, what's worse, coaches don't know the qualification rules.

I know very little about this sport but if India finishes in the top three in asia in any canoeing event do we have a chance to qualify - how is the continental qualifiers arranged 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

3 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I know very little about this sport but if India finishes in the top three in asia in any canoeing event do we have a chance to qualify - how is the continental qualifiers arranged 

The easy answer is that the top boat in all non-K4 events will qualify from the Asian qualifier.

The long answer is that each nation can only qualify a maximum of two athlete quotas in each category (men's kayak/women's kayak/men's canoe/women's canoe) and a nation can only qualify in one K1 event (regardless of whether or not it was done by two athletes). Also athletes which qualified a quota at the World Championships are not eligible to qualify at the Asian qualifier and a nation cannot attempt to qualify in an event they already qualified in.

Using the results from the 2018 Asian Games here is a preview of the favourites (assuming nations prefer 2 athlete quotas over 1)

M K1 200m - :KOR

M K1 1000m - Not held

M K2 1000m - :CHN

M C1 1000m - :UZB

M C2 1000m - :KAZ

W K1 200m - :KAZ

W K1 500m - :IRI

W K2 500m - :UZB

W C1 200m - :PRK

W C2 500m - :INA

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

The easy answer is that the top boat in all non-K4 events will qualify from the Asian qualifier.

The long answer is that each nation can only qualify a maximum of two athlete quotas in each category (men's kayak/women's kayak/men's canoe/women's canoe) and a nation can only qualify in one K1 event (regardless of whether or not it was done by two athletes). Also athletes which qualified a quota at the World Championships are not eligible to qualify at the Asian qualifier and a nation cannot attempt to qualify in an event they already qualified in.

Using the results from the 2018 Asian Games here is a preview of the favourites (assuming nations prefer 2 athlete quotas over 1)

M K1 200m - :KOR

M K1 1000m - Not held

M K2 1000m - :CHN

M C1 1000m - :UZB

M C2 1000m - :KAZ

W K1 200m - :KAZ

W K1 500m - :IRI

W K2 500m - :UZB

W C1 200m - :PRK

W C2 500m - :INA

But if any of them qualify at the world presumably the next best team will be selected ? Q

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

10 hours ago, Vektor said:

This is the questionable one, because we don't exactly know what "filling a C2 boat" means, and Czech Republic only needs one more quota to fill their C2 boat, because Martin Fuksa already has one from C1. 

The idea I have reading the OQ system is that for higher boats quotas are always taken in even numbers, so 4 then 2. In addition, said that the IF wants to increase as much as possible the number of higher boats and chooses to do it in this way, then priority should be given to boats that effectively took part to the races, and not to "artificial" combination. To explain this better, let me first point out that I am definitely not an expert of this sport. You said that :CZE has already 1 quota and so it will need only another 1 for reaching a C2, but 1) which athlete will take it? and 2) what if the Czech NOC does not want to use these two athletes for the olympic event?

However, I hope ICF will keep a tracker for the qualification system, so they will enlight us :D

8 minut temu, AlFHg napisał:

1) which athlete will take it?

The quotas are not for athletes but for NOCs so coach will decide who will go to the olympics. Czech who get quota in C1 also doesn't have to go.

8 minut temu, AlFHg napisał:

2) what if the Czech NOC does not want to use these two athletes for the olympic event?

If some NOC will not use his quota then this place is reallocated to the next NOC in this competition without quota (but that will happen after continentals and next year World Cup in Duisburg, I believe).

Edited by Col_Frost

1 hour ago, Col_Frost said:

The quotas are not for athletes but for NOCs so coach will decide who will go to the olympics. Czech who get quota in C1 also doesn't have to go.

If some NOC will not use his quota then this place is reallocated to the next NOC in this competition without quota (but that will happen after continentals and next year World Cup in Duisburg, I believe).

I agree with this, but the fact is that an athlete cannot qualify more than one quota to his nation, so he will have to be excluded from further qualification events and quota repartitions. That is why I think that the reallocation regards the whole entered boat and is not to be intended as a partial quota filling to complete a boat.

1 godzinę temu, AlFHg napisał:

I agree with this, but the fact is that an athlete cannot qualify more than one quota to his nation, so he will have to be excluded from further qualification events and quota repartitions. That is why I think that the reallocation regards the whole entered boat and is not to be intended as a partial quota filling to complete a boat.

That's true but also NOC can't participate in qualifications in event he has qualification already (exept WCh). For example if Japan will get reallocated place to fill C2 (I don't know if they will but let's assume they will) then they have qualification both C1 and C2 so they can't participate in further qualifications and it doesn't matter that we don't know who fought this quota. To be fair I'm not sute if this rule refer to host quota also, so I'm not saying that I'm 100% right ;)