website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

FIG quietly decided that results from Baku World Cup qualifications will serve as finals. This completely changes the Olympic qualification race, since Rebeca Andrade and Saeid Reza Keikha will not be able to qualify through the World Cup series anymore, but Petrounias still has a shot.

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

FIG quietly decided that results from Baku World Cup qualifications will serve as finals. This completely changes the Olympic qualification race, since Rebeca Andrade and Saeid Reza Keikha will not be able to qualify through the World Cup series anymore, but Petrounias still has a shot.

Only theoretically, he needs 15.266 to qualify.:lol: So For China, it's settled. Fan Yilin got the uneven bar quota and Liu Yang got the rings quota.

Edit: only theoretically is too arrogant, 15.266 is possible for young and healthy version of Petrounias, currently is not likely to achieve. But the one year postponement could happen lots of things, maybe retirement or total recovery from the injuries. 

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Shame about Keikha :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

Only theoretically, he needs 15.266 to qualify.:lol: So For China, it's settled. Fan Yilin got the uneven bar quota and Liu Yang got the rings quota.

Edit: only theoretically is too arrogant, 15.266 is possible for young and healthy version of Petrounias, currently is not likely to achieve. But the one year postponement could happen lots of things, maybe retirement or total recovery from the injuries. 

Thank you very much for your information.

12 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Edit: only theoretically is too arrogant, 15.266 is possible for young and healthy version of Petrounias, currently is not likely to achieve.

It depends on when the last stage, Doha, will happen. If it is staged later this year, Petrounias is in trouble. I don't see FIG taking chances and staging it in 2021, though, so I bet it will take place between September and October if the pandemics is mildly in control until there. I'm not sure Petrounias can score around 15.3 again in 5/6 months.

Now, is Yang really a lock for the Olympic quota on rings? Since results from Baku were considered as valid, Weng Hao adds yet another title to his collection and maybe his average score surpassed Yang's? Who knows? This system is too confusing for me to care about scores and current rankings. FIG rarely creates good things, but this is too much.

And now that I look at the PH scores, I guess Keikha still has a chance. Am I right? He needs to win the next stage probably with a huge score and he could surpass Kameyama. If Weng Hao is really not eligible, Keikha would be the next in line, I guess. 

4 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

It depends on when the last stage, Doha, will happen. It if is staged later this year, Petrounias is in trouble. I don't see FIG taking chances and staging it in 2021, so I bet it will take place between September and October if the pandemics is mildly in control until there. 

Now, is Yang really a lock for the Olympic quota? Since results from Baku were considered as valid, Weng Hao adds yet another title to his collection and maybe his average score surpassed Yang's? Who knows? This system is too confusing for me to care about scores and current rankings. FIG rarely creates good things, but this is too much.

This system is way too complicated with different kinds of tie-break rules. But there are still room to play tricks. If I am the Chinese coach, I will send Weng Hao and Liu Yang to the last stage and make Weng Hao lose it on purpose and assure Liu Yang get it. And then I can still send Weng Hao to the Olympics with the other quota by all-around world cup. They both get the quotas and Petrounias lose it.

20 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

And now that I look at the PH scores, I guess Keikha still has a chance. Am I right? He needs to win the next stage probably with a huge score and he could surpass Kameyama. If Weng Hao is really not eligible, Keikha would be the next in line, I guess. 

Yes, if he win the champion and the valid average score surpassed Kameyama and Weng Hao losing to Liu Yang. All conditions must be fulfilled.

14 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Yes, if he win the champion and the valid average score surpassed Kameyama and Weng Hao losing to Liu Yang. All conditions must be fulfilled.

I see in FIG World Cup rankings that Pommel Horse goes to LEE Chih Kai from TPE. Is he out or qualified via another criteria?

Just checked and realized that he is qualified via Team Qualification. So in that case his results are not counting in the Apparatus World Cup process?

3 hours ago, ATHENS 1896 said:

I see in FIG World Cup rankings that Pommel Horse goes to LEE Chih Kai from TPE. Is he out or qualified via another criteria?

Just checked and realized that he is qualified via Team Qualification. So in that case his results are not counting in the Apparatus World Cup process?

Yes, he qualifies through team qualification so he won't be in the list. If he won the champion before and in the future, then the no.2 would got 30 points.

The case of Weng Hao vs. Liu Wang is very marginal.

According to tie break rules:

Maximum of One Quota Place per NOC and/or Athlete Qualifies on More than One Apparatus

In case of more than one (1) quota place per NOC or if an athlete qualifies on more than one apparatus, the following procedure will apply to determine which quota place will be earned:

1. The highest average World Cup points on the respective apparatus from all competitions attended in the series prevails

2. If they remain tied, the best average rank on the respective apparatus in the Qualifications of all competitions attended in the series prevails 

As things stand now for tb rule1 Hao is better with 4 times 30 points and once 25 (average 29) - Liu has 3 times 30 points and once 25 (average 28,75). The BIG question is what happens if Hao does not compete in the last event and Liu competes and gets 30 points. The TB rules will not work.