website statistics

Boxing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

8 minutes ago, Cmon Mary said:

How do you qualify 5 or 6 from a Boxing Qualification Tournament?  I can see 4 or 8 is straightforward (all semi- or quarter-finalists), but does that mean there are a series of fight offs between people who have already been beaten up?

You can organize the draw in a way that 5 or 6 people are left in the end.

1 hour ago, Cmon Mary said:

How do you qualify 5 or 6 from a Boxing Qualification Tournament?  I can see 4 or 8 is straightforward (all semi- or quarter-finalists), but does that mean there are a series of fight offs between people who have already been beaten up?

in the past, they used to rank 5th the fighter defeated in the quarterfinals by the eventual winner, 6th the fighter defeated by the eventual silver medallist, 7th the fighter defeated by the loser to the eventual winner in the semis and 8th the remaining fighter...

but nowadays the olympic boxing isn't run by aiba anymore, so I don't know what they're gonna do (I'd rather prefer a 5th-8th place playoff between all the quarterfinals losers...definitely...but with that bunch of cheaters, you never know)...

On 18/07/2019 at 03:06, Cmon Mary said:

Actually, I have no idea. This qualifying system is a little bit confusing for me. :lol:

• 1 month later...

We have host and dates for Olympic qualification events (https://www.coni.it/it/news/primo-piano/16488-pugilato,-scelte-le-città-dei-5-eventi-di-qualificazione-olimpica-torneo-europeo-a-marzo-a-londra.html)

Asia/Oceania -> Wuhan :CHN 3-14 February

Africa -> Dakar :SEN 20-29 February

Americas -> Buenos Aires :ARG 26 March - 3 April

Europe -> London :GBR 13-23 March

World -> Paris :FRA 13-24 May

IOC announced the dates of the Olympic qualifiers.

4 Continental tournaments will be held from next February to April in China, Senegal, Argentina and GB. The final global tournament in Paris 13-24 May 2020

https://tass.com/sport/1075817

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, bestmen said:

+90  Bouloudinats :ALG 4-1 :ITA Carbotti 

But will fight Tiafack Nelvie :GER the N8 another naturalized boxer i dont know from where , maybe around central asia 

he was born in Cameroon, but came to Germany when he was still a little child (so, he learned all of his boxing skills when he was already in Germany)...

by the way, this is the wrong thread...we are talking of the world championships, not of the Olympic qualifiers...:evil::p

Edited by phelps

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the system in place from 1992 to 2012 Olympics. A far more transparent system, and one which lead to more exciting boxing too

The problems happened when the AIBA chairman Wu wanted "amateur" boxing to be more like the pros and part of that was his decision to go with a ten point scoring system that they use

When they showed the scores after each round ti left a number of fights decided after 2 rounds so the 3rd round was a non event. With "points per blow" there's always a chance of a comeback

31 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

This is a very good news but I didn't like this part

"Watanabe said the taskforce is considering whether the screen should be visible by the audience as well as judges and referees"

unbelievable if they are even thinking about not showing the score to the audience, TV or even the boxers ! :facepalm:

and btw it's not clear if they want to use this for the Olympic Qualifiers too or not. I hope they do.