Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

VolleyRuller96

Women's Volleyball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Nations League is not included in the current ranking, the last update was published after the 2017 World League/GP ;)

Edited by Dunadan

I like this qualification format. it guarantees the top teams compete. However, I never like using the World Rankings as a method to seed teams.

10 godzin temu, Dunadan napisał:

Nations League is not included in the current ranking, the last update was published after the 2017 World League/GP ;)

Right. I meant last year World League obviously ;) 

9 godzin temu, intoronto napisał:

I like this qualification format. it guarantees the top teams compete. However, I never like using the World Rankings as a method to seed teams.

This is not entirely true. More top teams could compete if there first would be continental qualifications and then intercontinental.

On 15-10-2018 at 20:50, Dunadan said:

It's official, here the document from FIVB:

http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/FINAL_2018_09_23_Tokyo2020_QualificationSystem_Volleyball_eng.pdf

It's going to be a disaster for European teams, looking at the World Ranking probably we will have a group with Italy and Netherlands and another one with Serbia and Turkey

Indeed. Netherlands will be 6th at the World Rankings after this WCh, Italy will be 7th for sure. 

Only when the World Cup 2015 doesn't count, there is a chance for multiple European teams qualifying. 

The group classification for the Olympic qualification tournaments is a disaster for the European teams, except for Russia. They can book their tickets to Tokyo in every situation.

I took the World Cup 2015, Olympic Games 2016 and the World Championships 2018 into account. There is some confusion if the VNL 2018 will count for the World Rankings.

These will be the groups when the VNL doesn't count for the World Rankings (likely):

A: SERBIA (1), TURKEY (12), CAMEROON (13), BELGIUM (24)

B: CHINA (2), PUERTO RICO (11), GERMANY (14), TRINIDAD (23)

C: USA (3), DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (10), BULGARIA (15), KAZACHSTAN (22)

D: RUSSIA (4), ARGENTINA (9), THAILAND (16), CUBA (21)

E: BRAZIL (5), KOREA (8), KENYA (17), CANADA (20)

F: NETHERLANDS (6), ITALY (7), MEXICO (18), AZERBAIJAN (19)

These will be the groups when the VNL count for the World Rankings (not likely):

A: CHINA (1), PUERTO RICO (12), GERMANY (13), COLOMBIA (24)

B: SERBIA (2), TURKEY (11), BULGARIA (14), POLAND (23)

C: USA (3), DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (10), THAILAND (15), CUBA (22)

D: RUSSIA (4), ARGENTINA (9), CAMEROON (16), CANADA (21)

E: BRAZIL (5), KOREA (8), BELGIUM (17), MEXICO (20)

F: NETHERLANDS (6), ITALY (7), KENYA (18), AZERBAIJAN (19)

Horrible for especially Netherlands. Finishing 4th at both the OG as the WCH and then placed in a group with Italy ... 

Edited by CCB

world ranking has not been updated yet, but now we know that the 6 women's Inter-Continental Olympic Qualification tournaments will be played on August, 2nd-4th next year...

bidding to host those tournaments are open until Dec. 14th (h.17 CET)...

sorry, but the only source I could find is in Italian...:dunno:

https://www.oasport.it/2018/11/volley-tornei-qualificazione-olimpiadi-2020-definite-le-date-si-gioca-ad-agosto-italia-a-caccia-del-pass/

The dates are confirmed as there is a document of olympic qualification system that is downloadable from the FIVB which updates the system and states that the dates are 2-4 August for Women and 9-11 for Men

Edited by AlFHg

This is NOT official, but according to the ranking now published by FIVB

http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/VB_Ranking_W_2018-10.asp

the groups should be:

1) Serbia, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Cuba

2) China, Turkey, Germany, Czech Republic

3) USA, Argentina, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan

4) Brazil, Dominican Republic, Cameroon, Azerbaijan

5) Russia, Korea, Canada, Mexico

6) Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Kenya