website statistics

Women's Volleyball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

VolleyRuller96

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

London OG was the first time FIVB used the serpentine system. Back then two highest men seeds (Brazil, Russia) were in the same group with #3 (Italy) & #4 (Poland) were in the GBR group. Same in the women's (USA, Brazil together while Japan & Italy in the GBR group). The last non-serpentine global volleyball tournaments were the 2010 World Championships (both men & women).

Serpentine system is fine.  Just dont rank the host as number 1.  Rank them where they should be ranked.     Rugby sevens uses serpentine system. But the host is ranked at its correct place

With serpentine system without ranking Japan number 1 the only changes in group B would be Serbia instead of China (no big difference, they are the 2 strongest teams) and Japan instead of Russia (again no big difference, currently Russia is not better than Japan playing at home)

8 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Serpentine system is fine.  Just dont rank the host as number 1.  Rank them where they should be ranked.     Rugby sevens uses serpentine system. But the host is ranked at its correct place

Rugby is even more shallow when it comes to teams than volleyball. And the host team will always get a bonus in the Olympic tournament. Japan's women team is actually quite good, obviously the men's team is much worse but FIVB wants to pamper the hosts and this is the way going forward. Poland and Italy will be in Japan's men group together with Canada, Venezuela & Iran if the serpentine holds up. USA, Brazil, Russia, France, Argentina & Tunisia will be in the other group.

• 3 weeks later...

We are gonna watch really good matches

Usa Brasil China Serbia Italy Turkey and Japan will fight for the medals. Russia is weaker than those. Japan is at home. But Usa Brazil China Serbia Italy Turkey will fight well. Im impatient to see these matches. 

Group B is like a death pool. We will see.

I can't estimate which one will be champion. There will be surprised in ranking in my opinion .

The pools are officially finalized for Tokyo 2020

POOL A: :JPN :SRB :BRA :KOR :DOM :KEN

POOL B: :CHN :RUS :USA :ITA :ARG :TUR

Pool B is definitely stronger. I could see every team but Turkey going through. Pool A should have 4 easy qualifiers with Japan, Serbia, Brazil and Korea.

2 hours ago, bmo said:

Pool B is definitely stronger. I could see every team but Turkey going through. Pool A should have 4 easy qualifiers with Japan, Serbia, Brazil and Korea.

Turkey is at least better than Argentina and could upset any of the other teams on a good day (except maybe China). In group A, I wouldn't discard Dominican Republic so easily. I would say only Serbia and Japan are safe.

hace 4 horas, bmo dijo:

Don't be offended but your take is bad :d

Our team has literally no chance. Winning even a set would be an achievement. Turkey and Russia will fight for 4th place there.

In the other pool DR is at least equal to Korea and maybe Japan as well (though I think they will rise their level for this tournament). Serbia will win the pool easily and Brazil should be 2nd.

Edited by LDOG

5 hours ago, bmo said:

Is there a game schedule yet? I want to know who I’ll see this summer :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Is there a game schedule yet? I want to know who I’ll see this summer :d

not yet...

atm, the only news are about the new Ariake Arena being unveiled...

https://www.fivb.com/en/about/news/ariake-arena-unveiled-as-volleyball-prepares-for?id=90466

• 1 year later...