website statistics

Men's Volleyball Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

VolleyRuller96

• 7 months later...

Here is the projected new World Rankings,  based on which are going to be determined the qualification groups. It was just reported on some bulgarian sites.

fivb-projected-men-09-30-2018-2.jpg

Schermata-2018-10-17-alle-12.43.36.png

Pool A - Brazil (1), Egypt (13), Australia (14), Puerto Rico (25)

Pool B - USA (2), BULGARIA (12), Belgium (15), Cameroon (24)

Pool C - Italy (3), Serbia (10), Cuba (16), Tunisia (23)

Pool D - Poland (4), France (9), Germany (17), Mexico (22)

Pool E - Russia (5), Iran (8), Slovenia (18), Finland (21)

Pool F - Canada (6), Argentina (7), Holland (19), China (20)

19 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Here is the projected new World Rankings,  based on which are going to be determined the qualification groups. It was just reported on some bulgarian sites.

I think there is a mistake here, as far as I know FIVB didn't give the same rank to teams from WCh, for example Italy finished 5th and Russia 6th. no joint 5th place. ranking will be a bit different.

1 ora fa, MHSN ha scritto:

I think there is a mistake here, as far as I know FIVB didn't give the same rank to teams from WCh, for example Italy finished 5th and Russia 6th. no joint 5th place. ranking will be a bit different.

As long as no 5th place placement match has been played, they are tied. In the previous rank same places were present, I don't think this will change

40 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

As long as no 5th place placement match has been played, they are tied. In the previous rank same places were present, I don't think this will change

Rules have changed since 2014, now they rank all teams eliminated in the same round by wins, points, set ratio, etc. See the difference in the final standings:

2014 http://poland2014.fivb.org/en/competition/final-standing

2018 http://italy-bulgaria2018.fivb.com/en/competition/final-standing

2 horas atrás, Federer91 disse:

With these groups for Brazil and Argentina we can have Venezuela or Chile in the Olympics. :d

Netherlands finished at the 8th place officially, there are some mistakes in the projected rankings. Besides that, how on earth the FIVB can decide to take the VNL-points into account? Teams like Netherlands and Slovenia weren't able to participate. Would be the 943194th disgrace of the FIVB this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interview with Miroslaw Przedpelski, member of FIVB and ex-president of polish federation (unfortunately only for those who speak Polish):

http://www.sport.pl/siatkowka/7,64948,24066894,siatkowka-miroslaw-przedpelski-turniej-kwalifikacyjny-do-igrzysk.html

Few things about olympic qualifications:

- world ranking will be published January 1st 2019 and its rules will be established in November during congress in Mexico

- probably points for ranking will be count from World Cup 2015, World Championships 2018, Olympics 2016 and qualifications for last two (there are other ideas but Przedpelski says they will not pass) so it's possible that neither World League 2017 nor Nations League 2018 will count

- six intercontinental tournaments are 100% sure (nothing new but it's FIVB so it is worth mentioning, I guess)

Moreover he says why World Cup 2019 isn't olympic qualification anymore. The reason is that it's held in Japan and FIVB members was afraid that after the tournament there will be opinions that Japanese forgive some matches because it will be only friendly tournament for them :dunno: