website statistics

Best Sports Moments of Your Nation?

hace 17 minutos, konig said:

Mostly agree except for Roland Garros, i include the title of thw World Cup of 1978 of football, another epic moment was the victory over Serbia with the "last second incredible two points of Manu Ginobilli.

I don't want to make a post that is only football and basketball. But, regardless, for me RG was more important than 78.

5) 2010 Winter Olympics: Alex Bilodeau winning Canada's first ever Olympic gold medal on home soil, after failing to win any in 1976 and 1988. 

4) 1972 Summit Series - Game 8, defeating the Soviet Union

3) Donovan Bailey wins the 100m gold medal in Atlanta 1996, breaking the World Record in the process.

2) Women's hockey gold in 2002. The officiating was horrible (against the Canadians) and the Americans had the Canadian flag on the floor of their dressing room. The Canadians took the last laugh though by winning the gold and starting a streak of four straight gold medals!

1) Olympic hockey gold in 2010 for the men, breaking the record for the most gold medals by a country at a single Winter Olympics.

SVK won in Poland in the very last match of the World Cup 2010 qualification in absolutely crazy conditions thanks a unbelievable own goal of the Poles to reach the first ever qualification for the World Cup in history and first ever any Major Tournament participation except the Sydney 2000 Olympics for our football since the independence.

The winning goal

The last seconds

Peter Sagan winning his third consecutive World Champion title, something any other rider never did before

Back to Football and the 2010 World Cup, Underestimated and unknown debutant Slovakia shocked and eliminated the reigning world champions Italy in the last pool match to reach a epic and absolutely unexpected second phase at our first major tournament participation.

Matej Tóth won our first non-canoeing slalom Olympic gold medal. Slovakia had to wait 23 years for that. 1 year after his world champion title, first ever for our country as well

World Championships 2015 finish

Yep, right.

0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

SVK won in Poland in the very last match of the World Cup 2010 qualification in absolutely crazy conditions thanks a unbelievable own goal of the Poles to reach the first ever qualification for the World Cup in history and first ever any Major Tournament participation except the Sydney 2000 Olympics for our football since the independence.

The winning goal

You HAD to remind me, didn't you? :d this was without a doubt one of the most beautiful goals in Polish football history ;) 

Though a strong contender for the title is this clasic :d

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

8 hours ago, LDOG said:

4. Roland Garros 2004 - 3 out of 4 semifinalists were :ARG . Also it had dramatic final between Gaudio and Coria who didn't like each other that much. Gaudio winning was the ultimate underdog story since he was always seen as a guy that couldn't possibly win a major title, being a complete nutjob like he was.

Is that the one where eternal underdog Martin Verkerk reached the final? That was the last time 'all' of the Netherlands (relatively speaking, of course, there's always exceptions) was really up and about when it came to tennis, I sort of remember those were two amazing weeks for Verkerk. Odd guy, but awesome guy. And a legend in Dutch sports because of those weeks, in which he went to the exact same Japanese restaurant for two weeks and ordered the exact same every night: sushi, sashimi, fried shrimps and three beers :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I believe that was the year before.

I could have spent 5 seconds on Google first, my bad :p 

I read the name Coria and thought of that immediately. Still one of the highlights in Dutch sports so it's on-topic anyway :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I'll not include any olympic moments in this list since there is a thread about the best olympic moments too, but if I was including olympic moments, at least Franz Klammer winning the downhill in Innsbruck would have made the list, and probably a few other ones too (Hermann Maier's wins in Nagano, Raich-Herbst-Schönfelder podium sweep in the 2006 Slalom for example)

5.) Austria's ninefold win on the Patscherkofel in 1998

For everyone not caring about the alpine skiing world cup, no, having skiers from only one nation from the first to the 9th place is not ordinary. A display of dominance which will probably never be repeated. 

4.) The whole nordic skiing world championship 2011

7 gold medals for Austria in one world championship is something I probably won't ever see again. Tbf the medal count is partly so high because there were both two team events for the ski jumpers and the nordic combined and Austria won all 4 of these events. But anyway, this was a mightily impressive world championship, with gold in all 5 ski jumping competitions (plus silver in the two men's single events), two gold medals for the nordic combined relay (which tasted even sweeter because they were won in close sprints against Germany) and a bronze medal for Felix Gottwald in the large hill event.

3.) Werner Schlager becomes table tennis world champion

2.) Thomas Muster wins Roland Garros 

1.) CÓRDOBA

The Austrian national team beat Germany 3:2 in the 2nd group stage of the 1978 FIFA world cup (man, the format of the world cup was weird back then with two group stages and no knock out stage)

Austria didn't even achieve anything big by winning this match but still this is probably the most legendary moment in Austria's sport history just because we could spoil our big neighbors world cup. I honestly have no idea why this game even got such a legendary status but Austrians still can't stop talking about how they kicked Germany out of the World Cup in the most famous game in Austrias football history.