website statistics

Table Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

4 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Now that Germany qualified as a team, what about singles and mixed doubles quota? I think single quotas should be reallocated to the fourth placed athletes, but for mixed quota?

Mixed doubles quotas are not dependent on the team qualification. 16 teams must qualify individually. No mixed doubles quotas for teams which have men's and women's team.

Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

Mixed doubles quotas are not dependent on the team qualification. 16 teams must qualify individually. No mixed doubles quotas for teams which have men's and women's team.

I really wonder why federations tend to generate such complicated qualification systems. World archery remains a virtuous but isolated example

Edited by AlFHg

6 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

I really wonder why federations tend to generate such complicated qualification systems. World archery remains a virtuous but isolated example

It might be because they needed 16 pairs. If they give mixed doubles quotas to teams which have qualified both the men's and women's team,.it might be less than 16

Some country might only qualify in men's team .

20 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Now that Germany qualified as a team, what about singles and mixed doubles quota? I think single quotas should be reallocated to the fourth placed athletes, but for mixed quota?

As Vojtas has said/described many times, singles quotas will be redistributed to the European Qualification Tournament, which will be held in April 2020 in Moscow.

Edited by wumo26

• 2 weeks later...

Because Germany won a quota place in the Mixed Doubles at the European Games (and their entrants need to come from their successful Teams, also qualified, then this adds one extra space into the Singles Qualification for each of Men and Women. 

"Any qualified athletes in Mixed Doubles must be part of the team composition if their NOC has qualified a team of that gender"

Does this extra place get filled at the Singles Qualification Tournament, or via the World Ranking?  I think it is the Qualification Tournament, up to a maximum of 8 (when you allow for other situations like Germany's, from a minimum of 2 places at the Tournament), and then after that the World Ranking, but my head hurts now.  I agree that Table Tennis has made this the most complicated process possible.  

23 minutes ago, Cmon Mary said:

Because Germany won a quota place in the Mixed Doubles at the European Games (and their entrants need to come from their successful Teams, also qualified, then this adds one extra space into the Singles Qualification for each of Men and Women. 

"Any qualified athletes in Mixed Doubles must be part of the team composition if their NOC has qualified a team of that gender"

Does this extra place get filled at the Singles Qualification Tournament, or via the World Ranking?  I think it is the Qualification Tournament, up to a maximum of 8 (when you allow for other situations like Germany's, from a minimum of 2 places at the Tournament), and then after that the World Ranking, but my head hurts now.  I agree that Table Tennis has made this the most complicated process possible.  

I said it once in our first podcast from Minsk Games, then I said it second time in a podcast after Germany won both team events, and I wrote it twice on this forum (probably in European Games thread), but I'll do it once more :)  - the Singles quotas from European Games which can't be used by Germany, as they qualified teams, will be redistributed at the other European Qualification Tournament, which will be held in April 2020 in Moscow.