website statistics

Women's Football Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

22 minutes ago, uk12points said:

For 2016 3 teams would have qualified as France, Germany and England were the only 3 European teams to reach the quarterfinal. The tournament was because the British federations could not agree to send a team, for Tokyo 2020 this has been resolved so if the same happened this time GB would accept their quota.

What is the deal with UEFA/FIFA: only England can obtain the quota, right? And in case they qualify, who will be eligible for GB, only English players?

20 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

What is the deal with UEFA/FIFA: only England can obtain the quota, right? And in case they qualify, who will be eligible for GB, only English players?

For Football only England can gain the quota (like Scotland in Curling) and at the moment the other home nations are happy for English players to form a GB team without needing any players from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland to join the squad. This only applies to women's football, there will not be a GB men's team competing.

2 ore fa, uk12points ha scritto:

For 2016 3 teams would have qualified as France, Germany and England were the only 3 European teams to reach the quarterfinal. The tournament was because the British federations could not agree to send a team, for Tokyo 2020 this has been resolved so if the same happened this time GB would accept their quota.

I know the story, but still it doesn't change the concept...

if there are 3 European teams finishing better than the others next year in France, they go to Tokyo...if there aren't, there will be a qualifying tournament in 2020...

personally, I'd like the idea of having a nice playoff also this time round (so, I hope Europe doesn't come up with all the 3 qualified teams already at the end of France 2019)...:d

1 ora fa, Jose Luis ha scritto:

What I cannot understand is why the tournament must be 4 additional equipment, such as the qualification process ¿And if it were only 2 or 3 teams eliminated in the same phase?

because fifa decided that way...

they will take into consideration also the earlier phase...so, if there are only 3 teams eliminated in the quarterfinals, they will look also at the 1/8 finals...

Edited by phelps

I still don't know why Europe can't have their own separate qualifiers. They are essentially relying on the results against non-European nations to qualify.

You can use the FIFA World Cup qualifiers as the initial qualifiers, but is it that hard to have the qualifiers take put in a mini tournament? I guess it's a bit awkward this year because there will be nine teams at the World Cup, maybe they can exclude the play-off winner or have three groups of three teams with the winner qualifying to the Olympics.

I found how to choose four (4) highest placed teams additional tournament Women's Football Qualification Europe :

Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) goal difference; 3) number of goals scored; 4) drawing of lots.

• 3 months later...
Am ‎18‎.‎04‎.‎2018 um 16:46 schrieb uk12points:

For Football only England can gain the quota (like Scotland in Curling) and at the moment the other home nations are happy for English players to form a GB team without needing any players from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland to join the squad. This only applies to women's football, there will not be a GB men's team competing.

Just to be sure: Even if Wales and Scotland qualify for the World Championships and England doesn't, neither Scotland nor Wales can gain a quota place?

• 1 month later...

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/y=2018/m=10/news=organising-committee-takes-important-decisions-on-fifa-women-s-world-cup.html

• Tokyo 2020 – possible participation of the Great Britain women’s football team: FIFA has now received written confirmation from the four British associations, confirming their intention to allow a British women’s team to try to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020, and that England will be the nominated country to seek a qualification slot for Tokyo 2020 at the FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019. This agreement only applies for the women’s, and not the men’s, team.

How convenient to take the decision only after England officially qualified for the World Cup (defeating Wales).