website statistics

Men's Field Hockey Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

LDOG

On 01/07/2019 at 22:21, LDOG said:

Only the continental championships to go before we get the final seeding for the play-off draw. IMO the only big battle that could decide a major change in this ranking is between England and Germany (they are very few points apart). 6th place is important cuz it's the position that could be the cut for pot 1 in the play-offs (assuming Argentina and Australia do they work in their continental). 

Isn't it possible, that both will surpass India? If it's true, that the Asian Games count for the ranking, than India will lose 90 Points and has 1733 Points. A top 3 result for England and a top 4 result for Germany at the European Championships would mean, that both at least keep their points and have more than India: http://fih.ch/media/13253707/fih-world-rankings-june-men.pdf

Edited by EselTheDonkey

hace 27 minutos, EselTheDonkey dijo:

Isn't it possible, that both will surpass India? If it's true, that the Asian Games count for the ranking, than India will lose 90 Points and has 1733 Points. A top 3 result for England and a top 4 result for Germany at the European Championships would mean, that both at least keep their points and have more than India: http://fih.ch/media/13253707/fih-world-rankings-june-men.pdf

It's not just the latest continental championship that counts, it's the average of the last two actually (with the older one counting at only 50%). You can find the calculations on page 3 of this document.

This means continental points aren't so straightforward. For example, if Germany wins this eurohockey beating the Netherlands in the final, the dutch will still be "Euro 1" because they won the 2017 edition while Germany finished 4th.

In Asia the calculation is even more complicated because they count 3 championships for their continental points (they also count asian Champions trophy). I don't know if India will keep Asia 1, but in worst  case I think they would lose it to Malaysia (Japan won't, as they don't have great points from before).

As Asia 2 they would be losing 45 points. Honestly I don't think both England and Germany can pass them.

PS: by the way, I think FIH has the best world ranking system out of any team sport international federations. It's not absolutely perfect but mostly everything is weighted pretty well, many IFs should copy it.:yes

Edited by LDOG

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Olympic qualifiers draw live on 9th September

Does this mean that South Africa have accepted the African quota? 

In my opinion, also looking at the qualification document, this means that the only window to accept or refuse a quota is after the qualifiers, so South Africa having won the quota can't take part. They could still refuse later (in that case the best ranked loser will qualify). Apparently the men's team should have satisfied their NOC requirements with their top 2 in Hockey Series.

Just now, Dunadan said:

In my opinion, also looking at the qualification document, this means that the only window to accept or refuse a quota is after the qualifiers, so South Africa having won the quota can't take part. They could still refuse later (in that case the best ranked loser will qualify). Apparently the men's team should have satisfied their NOC requirements with their top 2 in Hockey Series.

It would be interesting to see what South African NOC decides. South Africa being continental winners can't take part in world qualification tournaments and SANOC doesn't send teams based on continental quota. 

Also, I think even now, if SA refuse the men's quota, Egypt will qualify and not the best ranked loser. I don't know what will be the decision in the highly unlikely situation of SA refusing quota, Egypt defeating seed 2/3 in qualifier, and another team from pot 4 winning against seed 1/2 in qualifier. 

Just now, Dolby said:

It would be interesting to see what South African NOC decides. South Africa being continental winners can't take part in world qualification tournaments and SANOC doesn't send teams based on continental quota. 

Also, I think even now, if SA refuse the men's quota, Egypt will qualify and not the best ranked loser. I don't know what will be the decision in the highly unlikely situation of SA refusing quota, Egypt defeating seed 2/3 in qualifier, and another team from pot 4 winning against seed 1/2 in qualifier. 

Egypt would need to be in top 20 of the world ranking to get the African quota. According to my calculations Egypt is 21st right now (after those 14 teams listed in your link+ 4 continental winners+ Scotland and Wales).

Anyway here's an article with excerpts of SASCOC selection criteria

https://m.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/South-Africa/sa-hockeys-path-to-olympics-uncertain-despite-qualification-20190821

• 2 weeks later...

Netherlands / India / Germany  vs. Pakistan / Austria / Russia*

GBR / Spain / New Zealand / Canada vs. Malaysia / France / Ireland / Korea

* Egypt decided to withdraw

Edited by Dunadan